Osama Bin Laden Celebrations labelled "Disguisting"

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
So its America 1-0 Osama? No, not quite! Americans are celebrating because they've been shown the face of one man and labeled him "Terrorism"! This isn't the end and I highly doubt Osama Bin Laden was the sole person responsible for 9/11! He was a bad person so I wont morn his lost life but I wont celebrate it either!

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
Woop de doo *sigh* Does no one realise that this still hasn't stopped Al Queda. This isn't a case of "knock of the head and the body will follow", nothing is gonna change. There's still gonna be terrorist attacks and the second there is one I bet you, I FUCKING BET YOU, that that Americans (sorry, stupid Americans I should say because some are cool) are gonna be all like "But, but we killed Bin Laden. We destroyed Al Queda. We won the war on terror."

But back on topic of people celebrating his death, it does disgust me-why? Because he wasn't some cartoon villain hellbent on world destruction, he wasn't acting out of just plain unprovoked dickery, I'm not defending him or saying he was justified but it needs to be said whet his motives were, which is something that the authorities EVERYWHERE try thier absolute hardest to hide from the public and make him seem like Skeletor.

I'm gonna assume that at least some escapists here know a thing or 2 about history and if you do you might know the gulf war. *sigh* I will now proceed to give a long and boring history lesson... I'll try and keep it breif.

Back in the Gulf war when Kuwait was threatoned by Iraq Al Queda said they'd defend them, but the USA stepped in for no real reason and helped them- no alliance, no previous deal or anything really to bind America to Kuwait. Osama was pissed but that wasn't it. After USA won they stayed there- 3 guesses why. If you guessed oil (or hot muslim babes) go for the cookie jar.

Now there's all this confusing business about western occupation in the east which I may be mixing up with something else. But nontheless, Bin Laden saw himself, and a lot of other people saw him, as a freedom fighter not a terrorist. Like after the Gulf war when the infant death rate soared, entirely because of America's fucked up sanctions. It was only when they started killing people that they started being cunts, and well yeah they did need to be brought down. But still the utter hypocrisy (spelling?) by the Americans pisses me off, and the coverage and propaganda that made him look like a super villain was just fucked, I mean I understand propaganda against a threat, it's needed for support, fair enough. It's just that it's propaganda for a war that THEY pretty much provoked.

Feel free to correct me if I fucked up at any point here or quote me and say your oppinion, I just need to say my piece. Also one last thing, look up Qutb. All I'm saying.

Hang on there was a bit before I can't be bothered to edit 'cos I'm a lazy fuck who just got up. I think it was UN forces not just Americans in Kuwait. Still look up Qutb though.

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
spectrenihlus said:
snagli said:
snagli said:
I can understand how Americans are happy about this, as he was a pretty bad dude, but they also need to understand that killing him wasn't the best move. Keeping him isolated and not telling anyone, or killing him and not talling anyone would have been way smarter. What happened was basically a big FU at the followers of Bin Laden, and it's pretty stupid to go and taunt a group of people who have eluded you for years, and are armed to the teeth.
Also, quick heads up; Osama's followers are not like Mordor. When you kill the leader, they are not going to disapear, and the world is not going to go through an age of peace. The point is, Osama isn't the only guy who could lead those terrorists. There is going to be someone who rises up amongst them to avenge his death, and that could easily be a man who isn't half as smart as Bin Laden (yes, I'm saying Bin Laden was really smart), or more easily provoked, or foolish enough to resort to nuclear weapons. Making Bin Laden simply disapear from the face of the earth would have been way, way smarter.
Of course he isn;t the only guy but getting him is one hell of a boost for the moral of our troops and one hell of a demoralizer for the enemy.
True, US troops are pretty happy about public enemy number one receiving a bullet to the head, and Bin Ladens followers will not be too happy about this, and a big funeral (with no corpse, by the way) will be given, and they will mourn, but let me give you a scenario:

You are a happy, content US citizen, and you love your president for all the great work he did (let's not call him Obama as you might have a certain opinion about him).
Then, a terrorist managed to sneak into the white house, kill the president, and sneak him back out (not saying that he actually could, but stay with me). Four hours after the disapearance of the president (no one knows he's dead), an announcement from Bin Laden comes in. He says: "We killed you president, looks, here is his disfigured face. In. Your. FACE. We won't even give you the body, we just dumped it into the sea. Now excuse me, I have some Bin Laden Boogie to finish up."

Imagine that happens. Do you think the US would just stay put and mourn the loss of its president after that much taunting?

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
Jonabob87 said:
Okay so he set in motion events that ended in the death of 3,000 people. Then again George Bush set in motion events that brought about the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi and Afghan civilians.
Right, so I guess there's really no difference between any US president who's sat in office during a war effort, and Hitler, or Stalin, or Saloth Sar, or... you know what, I shouldn't even have to dignify this nonsense.

spectrenihlus said:
Fair point, but you can't deny that "Since you're not American, shut the hell up" is a xenophobic statement. It's tantamount to saying "You're not American? Well then you're not entitled to an opinion."
It can equally be interpreted as saying that since you're not American, you simply don't have an equivalent perspective or stake in the matter; it wasn't your country that was attacked, in simple terms.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, just pointing out it's not automatically xenophobic.

thehype097

Mar 10, 2010
Remember that scene at the end of Independence Day when they showed all the scenes of different places in the world celebrating while the Alien ships crashed to earth in the background? The whole world celebrated the Alien's deaths. What the hell is the earthling's problem.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
spectrenihlus said:
TheRealCJ said:
Necromancer Jim said:
It's not celebrating the death of a person, it's celebrating the defeat of an enemy, and this is how humanity reacts to such things. People rejoiced when Hitler died. Italians celebrated Mussolini's death. It's not bunnies and sunshine but that's how people are.

[sub][sub][sub]Captcha: Titanyo science[/sub][/sub][/sub]
If the death of Bin Laden resulted in a an immediate end to the War, then yes.

But there is still a war going on, and Al Queda is hardly a super-organized political party like The Nazis or The Fascist Party. They're not going to just surrender now that their ostensible leader is gone.
Of course they won't it is still a huge blow to them however. This is the guy who founded Al-Qaeda it is a huge demoralizing blow for them.
See, I'm not so sure it's "demoralising".

More like rallying.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010

It's victory, damnit. I celebrate those whenever I have the chance and a decent enough reason...

Avenging the deaths of innocent people is usually one of those times.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Galletea said:
I don't see that anyone's death is a cause for celebration. Bin Laden was the poster boy for evil, and his death seems more a symbolic victory than anything else. Al-Qaeda is more than just one man, and there are people operating under this name in all areas of the globe.

My first thought when I saw the celebrations was how similar it looked to those extremists celebrating nearly 10 years ago. Whether you believe it to be the same or not, you're still celebrating someone being killed, and I don't think it's something to be celebrated. I'm not angry about it, but I don't agree with it.
There is a vast difference here. The extremists in the sand countries where celebrating the deaths of innocent faceless people who did absolutely nothing to them. The people celebrating right now are celebrating the fact that at long last an enemy who greatly affected this country is now dead and will no longer be a threat to the United States ( at least him personally). Notice that a lot of the celebrating is in the Washington DC and NYC areas the two places directly affected by his attacks. They have been looking for this type of closure of 10 years I think you can understand why they are celebrating like this. Justice has been done.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
TheRealCJ said:
spectrenihlus said:
TheRealCJ said:
Necromancer Jim said:
It's not celebrating the death of a person, it's celebrating the defeat of an enemy, and this is how humanity reacts to such things. People rejoiced when Hitler died. Italians celebrated Mussolini's death. It's not bunnies and sunshine but that's how people are.

But there is still a war going on, and Al Queda is hardly a super-organized political party like The Nazis or The Fascist Party. They're not going to just surrender now that their ostensible leader is gone.
Of course they won't it is still a huge blow to them however. This is the guy who founded Al-Qaeda it is a huge demoralizing blow for them.

More like rallying.
For some yes that is true. However their recruitment will most definitely be down now.

llew

Sep 9, 2009
ok the man was bat-shit crazy but in all honesty i have a slight amount of respect for him, he had to have had some brains to pull off the attacks he did and he managed to hide from the UN for quite some time and that takes some doing. by no means do i think he was right but he was what some would call, a "genius"

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
spectrenihlus said:
TheRealCJ said:
spectrenihlus said:
TheRealCJ said:
Necromancer Jim said:

More like rallying.
For some yes that is true. However their recruitment will most definitely be down now.
Yes and no.

I personally seriously doubt that most of their recruits were joining just to get a chance to meet their hero...

Satin6T

May 5, 2009
-Drifter- said:
xdiesp said:
Torture, kidnappings, 5 wars are now completely legit in face of 1 terrorist attack.
Listening to Obama talk about how "justice" had been served just made me want to laugh.

There is no justice.
Your avatar disagrees with you

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
Sentox6 said:
Jonabob87 said:
Okay so he set in motion events that ended in the death of 3,000 people. Then again George Bush set in motion events that brought about the deaths of tens of thousands of innocent Iraqi and Afghan civilians.
Right, so I guess there's really no difference between any US president who's sat in office during a war effort, and Hitler, or Stalin, or Saloth Sar, or... you know what, I shouldn't even have to dignify this nonsense.

spectrenihlus said:
Fair point, but you can't deny that "Since you're not American, shut the hell up" is a xenophobic statement. It's tantamount to saying "You're not American? Well then you're not entitled to an opinion."
It can equally be interpreted as saying that since you're not American, you simply don't have an equivalent perspective or stake in the matter; it wasn't your country that was attacked, in simple terms.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, just pointing out it's not automatically xenophobic.
If your argument is that Bush is a US President then I really don't know what to tell you...

Osama is the equivalent to these people. They hate us because of what we've done to them in the past, so they attack and kill 3,000 people.

We retaliate against two middle eastern countries and kill around 20,000 of their civilians. Yet we're still in the right?

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I wouldn't throw a party, but I'm pretty sure we've been gunning for this guy for about 10 years, so I'm hoping we have no further excuse to bother the middle east and can get our troops back home. I don't think Americans are celebrating one man's death so much as what is thought to be the end of the "war on terror." [sub]Stupidest fucking- people will always be terrified of something, why-*Grumblegrumble*[/sub]
[sarcasm]
Maybe airports will finally loosen up a bit, people will quit acting like twats concerning our president's legitimacy, and I can ride atop Mothra as she flies me to the sun.
[/sarcasm]

EDIT: Since a lot of people tend to jump the gun on this site, I'm NOT saying Bin Laden's death will end the war, (if it can be called that) but the people throwing confetti and drinking may be thinking it will. Personally, I'm not sure what else there is to do that requires soldiers, are we just going to play whack-a-mole with Al-Qaeda for 30 more years?

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
snagli said:
spectrenihlus said:
snagli said:
snagli said:
I can understand how Americans are happy about this, as he was a pretty bad dude, but they also need to understand that killing him wasn't the best move. Keeping him isolated and not telling anyone, or killing him and not talling anyone would have been way smarter. What happened was basically a big FU at the followers of Bin Laden, and it's pretty stupid to go and taunt a group of people who have eluded you for years, and are armed to the teeth.
Also, quick heads up; Osama's followers are not like Mordor. When you kill the leader, they are not going to disapear, and the world is not going to go through an age of peace. The point is, Osama isn't the only guy who could lead those terrorists. There is going to be someone who rises up amongst them to avenge his death, and that could easily be a man who isn't half as smart as Bin Laden (yes, I'm saying Bin Laden was really smart), or more easily provoked, or foolish enough to resort to nuclear weapons. Making Bin Laden simply disapear from the face of the earth would have been way, way smarter.
Of course he isn;t the only guy but getting him is one hell of a boost for the moral of our troops and one hell of a demoralizer for the enemy.
True, US troops are pretty happy about public enemy number one receiving a bullet to the head, and Bin Ladens followers will not be too happy about this, and a big funeral (with no corpse, by the way) will be given, and they will mourn, but let me give you a scenario:

You are a happy, content US citizen, and you love your president for all the great work he did (let's not call him Obama as you might have a certain opinion about him).
Then, a terrorist managed to sneak into the white house, kill the president, and sneak him back out (not saying that he actually could, but stay with me). Four hours after the disapearance of the president (no one knows he's dead), an announcement from Bin Laden comes in. He says: "We killed you president, looks, here is his disfigured face. In. Your. FACE. We won't even give you the body, we just dumped it into the sea. Now excuse me, I have some Bin Laden Boogie to finish up."

Imagine that happens. Do you think the US would just stay put and mourn the loss of its president after that much taunting?
No of course not. But this isn't a one to one comparison. Osama Bin Laden is a very controversial figure in the Middle East as is Al-Qaeda. If we got the founder, what chance do you think the new recruit will have against the US. Yes this will rally many of his supporters but I guarantee that recruitment to Al-Qaeda is going to be way down now.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
You know, people are so "morally outraged" about it I'm inclined to just give them a "u mad?".

It's not really something worth celebrating, since it barely affects anything short term or long term, but raging and whatnot over it is just as pathetic as doing it.

If you actually have a problem with it, your best bet is to completely ignore it.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
It's absolutely worth celebrating. First of all, it was an extraordiarily emotional night for a lot of people, and they certainly would want to seek out others to share those emotions. That's only going to erupt into celebration as those emotions are released.

I don't think that's going too far. If we start having parades and declaring national holidays? Then we'll have gone too far.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Osama made himself an enemy, incited violence, continued to call for the death of the American people and was pretty successful in his aims.

The parties may be a celebration of relief rather than anything else.

Maybe the revellers relate this one man with the entire Al Qaeda movement and now believe it's over. God willing it is but I fear, as many, it could now be worse.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
TheRealCJ said:
spectrenihlus said:
TheRealCJ said:
spectrenihlus said:
TheRealCJ said:
Necromancer Jim said:

More like rallying.
Yes and no.

I personally seriously doubt that most of their recruits were joining just to get a chance to meet their hero...
No of course not but we went in killed everyone in that hideout without mercy swiftly and quietly. IF we did that to the head what chance does a lowly new recruit have?