Oslo Murders Lead to Calls For Game Bans in Australia

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
lunncal said:
I completely agree with Mr Wallace's reasoning. A psychopath played video-games, therefore video-games create psychopaths.

I'm ready to support his attempts to ban video-games, and I'll also be ready to support his future attempts to ban hunting, Christianity, Islam (in fact it would probably be best to ban religion altogether), Atheism, books, TV, film, music, computers, and anything else a murderer has ever done or been a part of.
Won't help Trixie darling, some nutter will kill someone else for looking at them funny. But thank you for putting forward the words to this great and powerful sarcastic joke. It made me smile :)

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Surely right-wing politics has a higher record of turning out extremists? We should ban conservatives (and same for lefties of course)

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Lets ban books, tv, movies, talking to other people, looking at other people, certainly ban each and every major organized religion simply due to the fact that by far and away religions and their leaders have been raping pillaging and murdering in the name of their god or gods ever since someone decided their god was right and everyone else can just piss off.

I will put up the amount of blood spilled in the name of jesus christ and allah against a few wackos with firearms or whatever murdering innocent people because they read the catcher in the rye, or watched rambo, or read the bible, or played modern warfare.

People that claim to be religious should spend more time examining their lives than worrying about telling others how to live theirs.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
No Australia.... for gods sake - everyone already thinks your governments are ludicrous backwards morons.... we don't need you to try and ban ALL violent video games to prove that.
-sighs- Well, after the recent events I'm hardly surprised they'd latch onto it....

Point is though - this guy clearly had something wrong with him. Video games didn't cause it or 'push him over the edge'. In my honest opinion? I believe this is a 4chan troll - or at least someone from the internet - who's gone insane and decided he'd try and get every video-game banned by claiming bollocks to wreck all our lives.
I truly think this brings the word 'trolling' to a WHOLE new level! Someone needs to make me a de-motivational poster of this! Preferably something along the lines of the nutter who killed them all with a troll-face printed over his head. Then the quote of him claiming MW2 was his training in a separate picture - then of course the full original article of Australia's attempts to ban video games in a next picture. With a final quotation underneath claiming something obvious about the entire situation while somehow amusing - probably something good and simple like 'You Mad?' would do.

rickynumber24

Feb 25, 2011
Baresark said:
Hmmm, I liked Castlevania.... think I should go kill some kids... I mean VAMPIRES!

OT: They are just using this as an excuse for holding back something that only the Australian government wants.

"The bigger concern is his history of active hunting, with high powered weapons, rather than his playing computer games."
I would say that he was mentally unstable and that is the biggest concern. What he did with his free time is completely irrelevant. Just more excuses as to how it's not the guys fault for his own actions. "It must be GAMES!".... "it must be his love of HUNTING".... all these things are complete bollocks in the face of what happened. Everyone should be concerned with the fact he was indifferent enough to blow up Oslo, then kill a camp of children from the Labor Party. There is no way he is stable or sane.
Agreed... I thought the politicians were doing great... right up until the point where they decided to claim that the reason he shot a bunch of people was because he knew how to shoot and went shooting (animals, admittedly) regularly. In my opinion, that's not much better than saying that he claimed he trained on MW2 and therefore that game should be banned.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
sheogoraththemad said:
The man was also a Christian: lets ban religion!
The man was also a Norse: lets ban Norway!
The man was also Blond: lets ban Blond People
The man was also a Idiot: Lets ban idiots!
you get my point
I wouldn't mind banning idiots...

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
Finally someone who gets that video games aren't the cause of someone doing something horrible! Give the politicians who saw past the media hype some cookies and keep them in office a bit longer, because the world needs more people who don't add momentum to any ban hammers at the first target of blame.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
zehydra said:
Absolutionis said:
A Christian Group is calling for the bannings of video games because a fundamentalist Christian commit an act of terror upon Muslims?

I don't understand.
because Christianity as a majority doesn't believe in violence. They will be swift to condemn him.
Oh stop bringing logic into the topic.
I want to see all the stupid irrational arguments people are going to make about equating All Modern Christianity to Mass-Murder Indoctrination.

Seriously though it's sad that I can make fun of the fact that there are people who will take any tangency or association with two unrelated topics and then create bullshit conclusions.

Spherex said:
Murders? Massacre? Mass murder?
As for the topic itself, blaming the games he played (despite what he says about using them for training) makes about as much sense as blaming the Freemasons, Christians or blond people as a whole for what happened. Generalizations suck, and also...

Correlation does not imply causation!
***slaps***

NO MORE LOGIC!!!!! WE NEED MORE FEARMONGERING!!!

(and yes, those are both meant as attempts at humor)

OT: Based on what the Oslo Murderer has said and done, his intention seems to have been mass-trolling by playing on the fears and controversies found in the public at large today.

So far, he's been associated with:
-Violent Video Games
-Environmentalism
-"Christian Crusading"

It seems entirely too convenient that his "manifesto" happens to hit upon several specific topics where easy controversy lies (beyond his desire for murder). This indicates that while he may be a lunatic murderer, he did have an ordered agenda; an agenda that was aimed less at preaching/protesting any extremist message and more about inducing knee-jerked responses to those areas (gaming, religion, environmentalism) at large.

Hence, I think he's the world's most evil real-life troll.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
D0WNT0WN said:
"Christian Extremist plays games in his spare time when not planning mass murder."
Not "Extremist Gamer goes to church on Sunday when not planning mass murder."

Planning mass murder and carrying it out is already quite illegal so I think it would be much safer to ban Christianity in Australlia instead of Videogames, after all videogames wasnt his motivation.
neither was Christianity. he was politically motivated. so how about banning politics?

actually...thats a good idea...

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
For fuck's sake...

Is it really that hard to tell from the article that Jim Wallace is not, in any way, shape or form, a public official?. He's just a loudmouth handwringer that heads up a small (but very well funded) group of other handwringers. Nothing he says is indicative of government policy.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
D0WNT0WN said:
"Christian Extremist plays games in his spare time when not planning mass murder."
Not "Extremist Gamer goes to church on Sunday when not planning mass murder."

Planning mass murder and carrying it out is already quite illegal so I think it would be much safer to ban Christianity in Australlia instead of Videogames, after all videogames wasnt his motivation.
I know you are joking, but I like the premise :p.

I think it would be better to just try and educate people and hope that other stuff vanishes on its own rather than try to force it out however.

People are knee jerky about fantasy.

Aug 17, 2009
I love the Internet. It's where I can find out that everything I hold dear (Christianity, Video Games, Politics, My Country) has a sizable force raised against it by either teenage pricks who think church is boring, and are therefore loud and obnoxious anti-theists (despite the fact that Christianity and Islam are the only two religions I've ever seen bitching about); or misguided extremist political figures giving the whole political system a bad name.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
What stupidity, as if this would actually prevent a single occurrence of violence. Apparently they've forgotten what a bloody past the world has...

The biggest piece of bullshit about the whole Oslo attack is that this guy is magically now an "extremist" instead of a "terrorist". That's a crock of shit if you ask me.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
The Virgo said:
This is what is commonly known as: "Over-reaction".

Besides, if games are banned in Austrailia, how will Yahtzee Crowshaw review them?! D:
By moving to a real country?

I kid I kid but on to my contribution to this thread.

This Christian man is right! [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SarcasmMode] We should ban all video games! In fact we should ban all media of any kind that isn't the bible! That way our children can read wholesome stories like this one. [http://www.biblestudytools.com/rsva/genesis/passage.aspx?q=genesis+19:28-38] Its good wholesome things like that which shall prevent our society from degrading into a heathenistic dysfunctional abomination! That will teach those filthy politicians to throw stones while in a glass hou- Wait a minute...

Maybe we should respect the dead and throw the asshat in prison to never see the light of day again for killing 80 people instead of trying to find a scapegoat. Biochemistry fucks up sometimes. Deal with it guy.

Riesel87

May 2, 2011
Why don't these people ban The Bible or The Qaran while they are at it, because im pretty sure those two pieces of literature have been more responsible than MW2 or WOW for deaths around the world.

You can't be a hypocrit and say oh thats different because it's a religous book. People, I mean morons, take things out of context and act stupidly sometimes.

John Lenon--- Catcher in the Rye----Ban all books, burn them all.

Jesus I hate when people look for a ready made excuse that appeases the many and annoys the few.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Absolutionis said:
A Christian Group is calling for the bannings of video games because a fundamentalist Christian commit an act of terror upon Muslims?

I don't understand.
Inorite? The Christian part seems more telling than the video games but making such commentary is crazy. Obviously, the box of evil playing the disc of evil caused the evil. Not the highhanded beliefs of a nutjob...

*sigh* Before some jackass jumps on this with their magical inability to tell hyperbole from truth, no, I am not saying we should ban Christians. I am saying that, considering Christianity's track record with murder and war justification, perhaps those with mud in their eyes shouldn't be attacking the cleanliness of media. The whole glass houses axiom, except in this case, the stone throwing doesn't make any sense.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
That's enough of a connection for Australian Christian Lobby Managing Director Jim Wallace, who said that any game that can push even just a few nutcases "over the edge" should be banned.
You know, I just got finished reading a thread of people offering condolences to someone who lost their father to that psychopath. And I come here and see people trying to make political gains off the blood of innocents. I wonder if they'll tack on an anti-gay message as well, since the manifesto also contains suggestions for using coming out of the closet as a cover for suspicious behavior?

Spend your time reading the Bible you thump, you hypocrites. You might learn something about the Christ you pretend to speak for.