Over-hyped video games

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
God I'm gonna sound so terribly unoriginal but whatever:

Valve's games, they're all either average or extremely underwhelming. The praise they garner I feel is very undeserved, some commendation is fine but it drives my head in when people praise valve as gaming paragons.

Modern Warfare...oh Modern Warfare, how NOT so amazing you are. Aside from being a competent shooter, it's this gens definition of overhyped. I played it all the way through, TWICE just to see what was so damn good about this game. What i got was tiresomely annoying scripting, forgettable single player experience, unbalanced and uninteresting multiplayer, and competent gameplay. When a games only real good aspect is that it has competent gameplay then there is something wrong.

ODST, 60 dollar expansion pack nuff said.

Final Fantasy series, yes I adore the games but even I as a fan must quell the inner fanboy and acknowledge the truth. This is blamed squarely on the god damn fans that won't STFU and paint a bad image for the series than the more modest fans who know when to keep our traps fucking shut. It's these fantards that give newcomers a bad interpretation and therefore help fuel the hate even more.

Mass Effect, I like you ME2...but your predecessor was a massive pile of underwhelming average through and through. I'm a sci fi geek and I can appreciate Mass Effect, but fuck was the first one ever an undeserving praised game. I have this odd love hate relationship with it, but I still lean more towards pure HATE for it's not so impressive gameplay and poorly paced story with only 1 or 2 decent characters and a shit ton of wasted opportunity and potential.

Look at me!! I'm original!! That's just to name a few games.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
It's been said before but halo wars.
I was expecting a genuinely good RTS but instead got a crappy halo themed rts.
Seriously me and my friends had more fun on universe at war and that was only 15$

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Zelda, Halo, Final Fantasy (insert ANY number here), and Sims

The only ones I've actually owned are Zelda and Sims. I get WAY too bored of those WAY too fast. The only Zelda games I've been able to endure most of the way through are Twilight Princess and Four Swords.

I've only done Multiplayer for the original 3 Halos and played bits and snippets of Final Fantasy. Neither of which look interesting or were fun when I played them. Don't see what the big deal is all about for either of them.

one of them

Jan 16, 2010
Left 4 Dead.
Partly because I was following the game when it was with Turtle Rock Studios, then it was picked up by Valve and completely changed from a Co-Op Horror Survival game into a Multiplayer Zombie Shooter with no story or horror elements at all. It's a good game but far from what I wanted.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
megaman24681012 said:
wooty said:
Gotta go with everyone favourite, Modern War.... do I even need to finish?

Would also throw Halo 3 into that mix aswell
you said Halo, I'm gonna f**king kill you, Halo was not overhyped. just the way Bungie advertised the game gave that impression.
2 others said halo too, why do I get the aggro? :(

On a serious note though, maybe your right with bungies advertising hyping it up, I mean all that stuff that appeared in the adverts, where the hell was it in the game?

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
wooty said:
megaman24681012 said:
wooty said:

you said Halo, I'm gonna f**king kill you, Halo was not overhyped. just the way Bungie advertised the game gave that impression.

On a serious note though, maybe your right with bungies advertising hyping it up, I mean all that stuff that appeared in the adverts, where the hell was it in the game?
Sorry, but your the first guy to bring up halo.

wait, O.O your defending me? thats a first.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
megaman24681012 said:
wooty said:
megaman24681012 said:
wooty said:

Sorry, but your the first guy to bring up halo.

wait, O.O your defending me? thats a first.
Wouldnt say defending, but agreeing. If Bungie hadnt commissioned those adverts to paint a picture of what the game was supposed to be, then I probably wouldnt have been as dissappointed at the finished article. Makes sense really

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
In sort of a reverse example, Fallout 2. I got into the series with 3, and decided to check the others out because I'd heard great things about them. I loved 1, but 2 didn't click with me like the others did for a few reasons, but mostly because it was unreasonably hard.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I don't mind it when people "over-rate" a game in general, as long as I realise the game was over-rated before spending any money on it. What gets on my nerves more is when they release thousands of game trailers for the same game on places like shacknews.com. I swear there must be 50 Just Cause 2 trailers. And don't get me started on how many promos there are of the next Splinter Cell. Just get on with it and release a game - don't advertise so early and then leave us in the dark for a year or two.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ocarina of Time.

Finally played in in December...WTF?! This is THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME?

Wow...umm...Nostalgia is powerful. It's just like every other Zelda.
Are you serial or just mildly trolling?

Come on man, you can work this out. You can do it!

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
StANDY1338 said:
Darkfall online. I waited too long for that game. Then it was brutally disappointing.
I dunno if that counts, really.

I mean, I guess they hyped it, but only in the "hardcore" MMORPG crowd, really.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Bioshock

I was expecting a steampunk version of Half-life 2 with all the gushing this game received.
it was a steampunk version of System Shock 2.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ocarina of Time.

Finally played in in December...WTF?! This is THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME?

Wow...umm...Nostalgia is powerful. It's just like every other Zelda.
Are you serial or just mildly trolling?

Come on man, you can work this out. You can do it!
100% Cereal.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
Spore...big time... i was so excited about that game...will wright talked about it like it was the game of all games...