Over-hyped video games

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ocarina of Time.

Finally played in in December...WTF?! This is THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIME?

Wow...umm...Nostalgia is powerful. It's just like every other Zelda.
Are you serial or just mildly trolling?

Come on man, you can work this out. You can do it!
100% Cereal.
Ah, good. I was almost a bit worried there but now I'm relieved. Carry on.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ocarina of Time.

100% Cereal.
Nostalgia is a funny thing, but you're looking at it with anti-nostalgia. You're seeing it as derivative of games that came after it. Ocarina took the zelda model and gave it a scale that was unseen prior to ocarina. I'm not even a raving Ocarina fanboy and I can tell you that. I was there when it first came out, it was a pretty huge thing. It may not stand up to today's standards, but it still ages better then almost any other N64 game.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Altorin said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ocarina of Time.

100% Cereal.
Nostalgia is a funny thing, but you're looking at it with anti-nostalgia. You're seeing it as derivative of games that came after it. Ocarina took the zelda model and gave it a scale that was unseen prior to ocarina. I'm not even a raving Ocarina fanboy and I can tell you that. I was there when it first came out, it was a pretty huge thing. It may not stand up to today's standards, but it still ages better then almost any other N64 game.
True. But I'm saying that it doesn't hold up well today. Take Goldeneye. That fucking sucks now.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Altorin said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
100% Cereal.
Yep, yep I have to agree here. While it might be average in scale, looks, gameplay and everything else by today's standards it really set the bar back then.

It was huge, amazingly well crafted. I'm not a big Zelda fan myself, but this game basically shook the foundations of videogames when it came out. It was the kind of game you'd go to a friend's for and just watch them play it. The 3D gameplay, NPCs, quests, horse riding, temples. The scale was just unprecedented. It also set a lot of 3D trends that still prevail today like auto-lock on.

Anyway the point is: It's not very hard to see why it's considered such a huge achievement.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Altorin said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ocarina of Time.

100% Cereal.
True. But I'm saying that it doesn't hold up well today. Take Goldeneye. That fucking sucks now.
and I'm saying that ocarina ages better then most N64 games. About the only one I can stand to look at anymore is Mario Cart 64. The first gen 3d graphics were horrible monstrosities. Polygon counts in the double digits. But Ocarina really does stand up better than 99% of games on the N64, and that's the whole system's catalog.

and despite what MOST people will say, graphics make a huge impact on a game, at least its first impressions. If it hurts you to watch a game being played, you're not going to enjoy playing it. And it's not "shallow" to think that way. It's just how human minds work.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
biodrew said:
the original Fable

greatest RPG of all time my ass.
Oh, nobody said it was the greatest RPG of all time (except Peter Molyneux, but come on.)

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Enigmers said:
biodrew said:
the original Fable

greatest RPG of all time my ass.
Oh, nobody said it was the greatest RPG of all time (except Peter Molyneux, but come on.)
he didn't say it WAS the best RPG of all times... he said it was going to be... he said so before it was finished. He set out to make the gold standard in western RPGs, and failed pretty spectacularly.. but his failure would be redoubled with Fable 2, when he made similar claims again, about how he was going to rewrite all that we know about RPGs..

Once the games are released, and he sees how people react to them, he sort of shuts his gob.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Altorin said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Altorin said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Brotherofwill said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Ocarina of Time.

100% Cereal.
and I'm saying that ocarina ages better then most N64 games. About the only one I can stand to look at anymore is Mario Cart 64. The first gen 3d graphics were horrible monstrosities. Polygon counts in the double digits. But Ocarina really does stand up better than 99% of games on the N64, and that's the whole system's catalog.

and despite what MOST people will say, graphics make a huge impact on a game, at least its first impressions. If it hurts you to watch a game being played, you're not going to enjoy playing it. And it's not "shallow" to think that way. It's just how human minds work.
Eh...I still can't see why it gets the praise it does. Even not comparing it to the later titles, its still underwhelming.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Ehra said:
We're on to page two and still no mention of Daikatana? For shame......

:p
Daikatana was only really overhyped by its creator... I don't think any gamers were really very interested in it.. none that I knew or heard about, although the internet was fairly new at the time, at least to me and my generation.. might have been some consumer hype elsewhere.. we just knew that John Romero had gone off his rocker.. we knew the game would suck just from looking at it... It came out AFTER Quake 3... it's pretty telling how much it was going to fail, just from looking at little screenshots we knew it was horrible

Onyx Oblivion said:
Eh...I still can't see why it gets the praise it does. Even not comparing it to the later titles, its still underwhelming.
you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm not daft enough to even try and change it, all I can really say is, you weren't there. look at some of the games that came out around the time and after ocarina of time, before the gamecube was even announced... did you play through the whole Ocarina of Time?

Ehra

Mar 19, 2010
Altorin said:
Ehra said:

Daikatana was only really overhyped by its creator... I don't think any gamers were really very interested in it.. none that I knew or heard about, although the internet was fairly new at the time, at least to me and my generation.. might have been some consumer hype elsewhere.. we just knew that John Romero had gone off his rocker.. we knew the game would suck just from looking at it... It came out AFTER Quake 3... it's pretty telling how much it was going to fail, just from looking at little screenshots we knew it was horrible
True. When I think "over-hyped" I think press coverage and how much the developers are trying to pass it off as the greatest thing we will ever know. I don't typically pay attention enough to notice much fan hype.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Ehra said:
Altorin said:
Ehra said:

True. When I think "over-hyped" I think press coverage and how much the developers are trying to pass it off as the greatest thing we will ever know. I don't typically pay attention enough to notice much fan hype.
when I think overhyped, I think how I feel about an upcoming game. I was hyped over Fable and Fable 2, and most recently... Ugh, The Force Unleashed.

Fuck that game... I wanted it so bad, I had to wait to play it, and it sucked :/

Neurowaste

Apr 4, 2008
Mr. Shak said:
SPORE. Probably the biggest letdown since Y2K.
God dammit this, those 2005 videos...WHY MAXIS!?

Also, not THAT bad, but metro 2033...I love stalker and the glitches and awkward stealth sections just...lowered it a bit, still like it though.