Parents call cops, worried their son forgot to take his medicine. Cops shoot him to death.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
bdcjacko said:
brandon237 said:
After reading the second two links, this makes more sense, although I still do not see why lethal force was needed.
You not understand self-defense? You know vehicles are considered lethal weapons when trying to run over a person on foot.
In taking self-defence courses for most of my life, I have learnt time and again that incapacitation is better than murder, and injury is better than death. Especially if it is law enforcement, this should be upheld. At least shoot somewhere where you know they could survive, and what happened to shooting out tires??? If the man could drive towards them, and no mention of tire shooting-out was in present in any of the links, then it is safe to assume that it did not happen. And police getting straight out of their vehicles to apprehend someone in a vehicle capable of movement driven by someone who is suicidal? Plain stupid. They have megaphones, and if the simply locked him in place with their vehicles and didn't get out until it was safe like sane people would do... stupid.

Yes, in that situation there was reason to shoot, but that situation should not have come up. Full stop. The police's dealing of it was not very good. They are law enforcement, they should be able to avoid these sorts of problems.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Connor2224 said:
bdcjacko said:
Connor2224 said:
Krion_Vark said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Why does America give it's morons guns again?
Because if you actually do research into it like I did in my earlier post you will find out a lot more about it and that the Courthouse News Service is retarded and should not be read seriously.
sill english cops dont carry guns just tazers(unless they have been ordered to)and it works fine
Is a tazer going to work on someone trying to run you over?
10,000 volts yea that'd be enough to stop ya
I would like to see the a tazer that can shot through a standard windshield and still be non lethal.

AgentDarkmoon

Mar 20, 2010
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
bdcjacko said:
1) Is courthouse news service a reputable new source? Looks kind of low budget and fake.
2) Who call the cops to make sure their adult son may have forgotten his medicine?
3) Why didn't the cops just pull him over? It sounds like they immediately tried to run him off the road. That sounds fishy to me.
4) Then completely unprovoked the cops all open fire? Again sounds fishy.
5) Why would an officer who had used "unreasonable and excessive deadly force" not be reprimanded or terminated?
6) Why would the family not demand that the officers be reprimanded and/or terminated
7) Why is there no source?
8) Why is there no other website covering this story? A quick Google search of 'Joey Tucker shot' turns up nothing other than this site and other unrelated ones.

I call shenanigans on this.
A: His name is "Christopher" Joey Tucker. So even if you did have the right name and google searched Christopher Tucker, you get the comedian, so that might confuse you.
B: They're filing a case now, two years later. The officer was put through the usual leave and such back then, per the news articles I've found.
C: I found SEVERAL news stories for googling 'salt lake city utah christopher tucker wrongful death'. Best one I saw was the one I linked in my post, http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/51446200-76/tucker-police-lake-salt.html.csp

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
bdcjacko said:
1)
2) Who call the cops to make sure their adult son may have forgotten his medicine?
he was driving. he could have had a reaction and pass out. also they thought it could be a sleeping pill: again, passing out.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
HerbertTheHamster said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

Not sure how to embed, but this is very relevant.

I also love how the article makes the family's response seem so uncaring.
I dont find that relevant in any way, in fact I find that offensive to the family.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Sorry but there's no way this is the whole story. Police don't just randomly shoot people and run them off the road. There are stupid cops, just like any other job, but not this stupid.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
bdcjacko said:
1) Is courthouse news service a reputable new source? Looks kind of low budget and fake.
3) Why didn't the cops just pull him over? It sounds like they immediately tried to run him off the road. That sounds fishy to me.
4) Then completely unprovoked the cops all open fire? Again sounds fishy.
^this

It's always sad to hear stories like this. 3 of my Uncles are/were cops, as are 2 of my cousins and my friend's dad, so tales of cops acting like psychopaths tarnish the badge in the public eye, so to speak. I've heard stories of bad cops before, but this sounds a little TOO odd ("hello, police? our adult son forgot to takehis diabetes meds!" "NO PROBLEM MA'M, WE'LL GO RUN HIM OFF THE ROAD AND SHOOT HIM FOR YOU.").

PSA: Most cops are genuinely good people. they are incredibly brave for what they do and don't deserve half the shit they get (as seen on Campus PD: "YOU GUYS ARE THE FUCKING FILTH"- friend of a girl who was stopped for carrying an open can of 4-Loko in public, underage, after it was banned.)

CroutonsOfDeath

Jan 14, 2009
Salt Lake City, eh? Why am I not surprised. I used to live in that hellhole, and the police there often had the intelligence of an empty breadbox. I really hate saying that because I'm one to respect the authorities, but it's true that only 25% of the police there know how to do their job. I remember being scared to death once because cops barged into a store because there was something about Marijuana being sold in the store illegally, and it all came down to a cop not knowing the difference between oregano and marijuana. So a bunch of people were evacuated for a false drug bust, and one that had full team backing because the people at the station were too lazy to actually LOOK at the report and just assumed "Well, if he says its marijuana than it must be marijuana!"

*facepalm*

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
Ever since I got on the internet I have only heard bad things about american police. There are some good guys apparently but they seem to spend their time being screwed over by the state.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
What that police officer did is so stupid that the other police officers said at the very moment he did it "OH SHIT".

If your comrades are going "OH SHIT" in time with you doing something, make sure you're not the one making them say that...

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
But.... I... Just... Whaaaa?
That just doesn't make any sense at all.
My brain can not comprehend the stupidity of that article, and cannot imagine what the officer must have been thinking.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
HerbertTheHamster said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

Not sure how to embed, but this is very relevant.

I also love how the article makes the family's response seem so uncaring.

i believe this is it

and wtf do you mean they are uncaring

"The family seeks punitive damages for wrongful death, loss of consortium and civil rights violations, and medical and funeral expenses."

the author just never talks about the family im sure that they are very torn up over this please try to not be insensitive

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
William MacKay said:
bdcjacko said:
1)
he was driving. he could have had a reaction and pass out. also they thought it could be a sleeping pill: again, passing out.
Again, if point two is the only thing you can rebut, then you are just nitpicking.

Temah

Dec 5, 2010
What thought process can possibly lead to this, i'm trying and i've got absolutely nothing.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
I always google news stories that are really hard to belive, esspecailly if the linked story site is.. unknown to me. So, i already knew that there was more to this story then the OT. It's still a sad story. But it's not like the OT was trying to frame it.

May 5, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
Death_Korps_Kommissar said:
[link]http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/03/21/35070.htm[/link]
I just.....
Fuck..... Just read the damn article you guys.
First off took place almost 2 years ago.
Second the guy was suicidal.
Third WTF is that site you gave
Here is 2 other articles:
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705322062/Did-blood-sugar-lead-to-tragedy.html
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705321660/Officer-kills-driver-in-chase.html
See, this is what always happens on the Escapist:
1. Someone posts an article about a horrible event, usually involving a senseless murder. It almost ALWAYS takes place in America.
2. People commence hating America.
3. Someone posts more information that puts the horrible event into perspective, causing it make a lot more sense.
4. People ignore it completely, continue hating America.

I really fucking hate this place sometimes.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
brandon237 said:
bdcjacko said:
brandon237 said:
After reading the second two links, this makes more sense, although I still do not see why lethal force was needed.
You not understand self-defense? You know vehicles are considered lethal weapons when trying to run over a person on foot.
In taking self-defence courses for most of my life, I have learnt time and again that incapacitation is better than murder, and injury is better than death. Especially if it is law enforcement, this should be upheld. At least shoot somewhere where you know they could survive, and what happened to shooting out tires??? If the man could drive towards them, and no mention of tire shooting-out was in present in any of the links, then it is safe to assume that it did not happen. And police getting straight out of their vehicles to apprehend someone in a vehicle capable of movement driven by someone who is suicidal? Plain stupid. They have megaphones, and if the simply locked him in place with their vehicles and didn't get out until it was safe like sane people would do... stupid.

Yes, in that situation there was reason to shoot, but that situation should not have come up. Full stop. The police's dealing of it was not very good. They are law enforcement, they should be able to avoid these sorts of problems.
I'm just saying the cops are human, and Salt Lake City probably doesn't train its police officers for disabling vehicles driven by suicidal people because it doesn't come up that often. So we could play shoulda-woulda-coulda all day.