PETA Asks Gamers To Be Kind To Zerglings

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
major_chaos said:
Wenseph said:
Off topic, but what is your avatar from? I can normally at least hazard a guess with anime avatars but yours has me stumped and its bugging me.

OT: As far as PETA goes this falls into the "harmless but stupid" category. I have to wonder if after the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the Mario, Cooking Mama and Pokemon parodies they decided to step back and try to take a more gentle approach to reaching gamers. It still isn't going to work, but apparently they are at least capable of recognizing trends. Although they don't seem to be able to recognize what a bunch of vile people they all are.
Don't forget the Super Meat Boy parody PETA did - Super Tofu Boy - that resulted in Team Meat adding Tofu Boy to the game as a hilarious take-that. "petaphile", anyone? XD

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
do they realize that these things are the equivilant of space zombies and kill everything in sight by the millions?

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
This just reminds me of a penny arcade comic. Now where did I put that, oh yes:

Funny in concept, not something I would ever want to try if the zerg were real.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I thought the only feelings Zerglings had were "KILL FOR THE OVERMIND KILL FOR THE OVERMIND KILL FOR THE OVERMIND".

I mean, didn't they watch the excellent cutscenes in the first Starcraft?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
This does as much harm to their cause as Anita Sarkeesian's 'arguements' of Tropes vs Women in Video Games.

While there are points, they seem to mss them by an impressive amount.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
They say that when all they really want is for all the Zerg to be euthanized. PETA is run by Arcturus.

Yakostovian

Jul 26, 2010
This could possibly be the least offensive thing PETA has done in a while. It's still stupid and petty, but far from offensive.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
1337mokro said:
that avatar with your comment made me laugh really really hard

But yeah, PETA really need to do research on the creatures they keep "defending" one look at the page for them on the starcraft wiki would tell them what they need to know... you know, the whole thing about zerg being pretty much mindless drones that kill everything in sight for their genetic material.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
So are PETA implying that they are the Terran?

I can see why the UPL fucked them off into space during Project Purification.

Seriously though....lay off the StimPacks.

Living Contradiction

Clearly obfusticated
Nov 8, 2009
I'd sigh but this would waste valuable air.

PETA, you are not funny anymore. You are not relevant anymore. Your day is done. Please stop.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
PETA rule #1: Come across as even more of a joke with every attempt to make people take you seriously
PETA rule #2: Copy-paste rule #1 till it fills an entire book

Kal-Adam

May 7, 2010

As victim of many a zerg rush, PETA should be warning us to spay and nuder our zerglings for the good of the pet population.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Oh, silly, silly PETA. When will you learn?
Even when you're making a silly, harmless joke, you'll still come across as retarded.

Actually, I'm not sure I heard you right. You said... HUG the Zerglings?
I'm not sure how... Please, demonstrate the proper technique for me.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I get it now. It took a while, but they finally let us in on the joke. PETA is actually a parody organization. They're just pretending to be completely insane.

Good one, PETA. You are now my favorite spoof organization, with the ministry of silly walks and the argument clinic just behind.

And maybe umbrella corporation, but they aren't as overtly funny.

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
SecretNegative said:
Did everyone's family get killed by zerg or something, what's with all the negativity?

This is basically as harmless and clever as it get's, I don't think they're entirely serious either, just enjoying some free attention.
Thought the same thing, honestly. I also love how everyone tries to point out the pretentiousness of this campaign by being utterly pretentious in actually explaining what the Zerg are, lorewise. You know, because PETA are the first and only people who portray Zerglings as cute...right? RIGHT?

I guess this reaction stems from the standard black-and-white-perception people have of the world. See, PETA consists of arsemonkeys we grew to at least dislike. Thus, they are supposed to be incapable of doing anything nice, clever, funny or any other positive adjective.

This campaign however IS funny AND comes from PETA...this just can't be right. Quick, point out how Zerg are evil, so the status quo is reestablished in our minds!

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Oh, the Zerg are interesting, kind of like if what The Thing was if it's properties extended to an entire species right down to it's genetic code, but less so in the direct shape shifting thing. The species can become whatever it needs to be. But as for being nice to them? Well, not unless the new Kerrigan is holding the reins, is friends with me, and also happens to be sitting in the room, between me and the Ling in question. Even then, I'll be more than a little uneasy, kind of like having tea with a very well trained grizzly bear.

Madgamer13

Sep 20, 2010
This is an interesting move by PETA, but lets break it down a little shall we?

PETA has expressed support for a fictional alien species that has outright slaughtered humans in their fictional universe for quite a long time, of which the zerglings and related zerg-specie are bred, if not ~evolved~ for slaughter on a mass scale by their own hive mind.

I wonder if PETA knows that if we consider their support of the swarm to be equal support for the actions of the swarm in their own universe, it appears that what PETA supports is genocide, mass consumption, assimilation and foul defile of the human species?

Is PETA also aware that there are terrans (Humans, ~us~ I remind) out there being eaten by Zerglings right now? Indeed, are they aware that the Zerg is also in your nearest Terran Command Center, defiling some tasty humans and turning them against their will into toxic suicide bombers for use against some more tasty humans?

My my, if you think for a moment that PETA's strange acts doesn't include this seemly cute gesture, maybe you need to take a close look at what they are conceptually supporting.

Hur-Hur, well done PETA. *slow clap*

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Does PETA actually do anything proactive these days, or have they just decided it would be more effective to parody games than to protect the animals they are so attached to? Seriously, go appeal to the furries or something, because gamers aren't having any of this nonsense.