PETA Plays Pokemon

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
You know in a way I think PETA and Team Plasma can be compared quite aptly. Both organizations talk about animal liberations and both organizations are in fact treating the animals worse after they have been liberated. If Nintendo had ever given me the impression that they cared about such things I would have said that Team Plasma was a parody of PETA.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
It's sad that PETA even still makes the news...problem is when we instead of laughing at them get angry and start sharing this stuff everywhere and everywhere that they get free publicity. Am I the only one who wishes Mike Vick would go back to fighting others, but instead of dogs, get these clowns in the rings in fights? He'd get to gamble, and the world could be without some stupid folks. Why not have them compete against WBC? We could always picket any funerals that happen from this.

I jest, of course...even stupid people deserve forgiveness, that's the way that religion is supposed to work, wish the best for those who don't agree with you and love everyone, regardless of what they believe, even if they think that kids are going to spray paint and fight with their pets or whatever goes through their minds

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
And here I thought PETP (People for the Ethical Treatment of Pokemon) was just a gag, or at best a gag relating to Team Plasma. Also, clearly PETA never actually finished Black or White, or they'd know about Plasma's other motives (hint: they're an evil team in a Pokemon game; what do you think their motive is? Especially given that despite wanting to free Pokemon, they still battle with them like everyone else.)

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Actually the pokemon are not trapped in a tiny 'cage'. The Pokeball bends quantum space much like the TARDIS does, and inside that ball is a vast lush and green environment far better than anything outside it. In fact, letting out the pokemon is cruel after they have tasted the boundless freedom inside that pokeball.

And is this the same PETA who destroy countless pets because the domesticated animals' existence alone is apparently their own abuse?

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
As much as PETA are right that pokemon is glorified dogfighting don't they have some real animals to look after or something.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I guess its self advertisement. A inside peak of how PETA workers treat their animals reflected on the pokemon iconology. This is deep stuff people.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
oh no 1's and 0's fight each other in game pokemon. the pure horror(sarcasm)
peta is just trolling and being beings tupid as usual.

getoffmycloud said:
As much as PETA are right that pokemon is glorified dogfighting don't they have some real animals to look after or something.
when you say look look after do you really mean killing domesticated animals

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
NuclearShadow said:
I think the real message here is they are speaking out against using animals for entertainment in terrible ways such as dog fights. Poke'mon being basically just that which is popular among children is a great way to get that message across. I may not agree with PETA often but they have my support on this one.

CaptainMarvelous said:
I'm impressed after the backlash (no, need to go bigger, absolute public ruination of any public image they may have ever had) of their mario parody they had the balls to not only do another but do another aimed at Nintendo. It's getting to the point Nintie might actually be able to claim libel/slander

Less impressed that it's taking the side of Team Plasma since this implies PETA only want us to stop being cruel to animals by loving, feeding and giving them homes so that PETA can control all the PETA-mon and wage war with Reshiram and that... got a little away from me...

Point still stands
The attacks on Mario never really made sense. With Poke'mon however actually is something comparable to a real world problem that is exploiting animals to violently fight and sometimes kill each other. It's kind of sad that you and others failed to see this rather obvious message.
Unfortunately, as I believe I said, after the mario one their image is just gone, we dont support PETA because we know what they're like and even this smells of sensationalist horse-shit. Which given you are aware of the mario one, should not need explaining. Maybe they do have a point but I/we don't care, they're targetting a childrens game, claiming it emulates the exploitation of animals, but that isnt how kids are seeing this. We as a generation of former 8-11 year olds are not running secret dog fighting rings in our basement. So, I dont think they're making that point you think they are, I think they're starving for attention and we keep giving it to them. For a source check just about any other post here describing how PETA operates.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I can't even pretend they're being serious any more. I just can't. It's impossible.

Also, obligatory bender.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw[/youtube]

yatterman1

Nov 17, 2009
i love to see nintendo's response and i wanna see them sue PETA. Those people lost it before they tried to mess with mario, whats next sonic, ravin rabids, (other random animal character here).

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Then all the Pokemon were handed to PETA who promptly euthanized them and went on to spend all their money advertising for themselves.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I think this is less "PETA criticising Pokemon" and more "PETA criticising the practise of animal fighting by using Pokemon."

I mean Pokemon is sort of a pretty abominable concept. Like Andy said, capture animals, stuff them into tiny cages, get them to fight. I'm just surprised it has taken PETA so long to comment.

That being said PETA is in general a godawful organisation that is for the 'ethical' treatment of animals by its own dogma alone. MovieBob's Big Picture episode 'Skin Game' is one of the better reflection of what PETA is really about so if you haven't already, watch that.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
...And Nintendo can't sue the absolute shit out of PETA, why?
Seriously. Nintendo has more money than most small to medium countries. I know they may be fairly chill -they're fine with rom hacks and the like- but damn PETA, don't push it. Nintendo probably has a team of ninja lawyers who train hard every day in anticipation of the day they are set loose upon the world.

And no, it's not 'fair use' when it's a for profit organization using trademarked names and images on a website designed to make them money through donations. In almost any court around the world PETA would be ruined by nintendo, and more importantly nintendo would be in the right. The media might TRY to make nintendo out to be the bad guys, at which point they would laugh and bundle a game with the release of the Wii U and donate 5% of all Wii U profit to the ASPCA.
The ASPCA would receive an insane huge donation and nintendo would buy their 5th solid gold mansion/launch pad, to promote construction of the 2nd of their moon lasers.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
That sound like a lawsuit for copyright to me... they didnt even bother to change one later of Pokemon name...

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
PETA like animals right? They don't like animals dying... But animals kill other animals... sometimes for fun! (My dog kills spiders... just because he can! Incidentally, he is my hero!) So they are being hypocritical there for a start... how can you hate the killing of animals, but like lions that kill wilderbeast?

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
kburns10 said:
I wonder just how bored PETA really is to come up with all these parodies. Especially ones that attack DIGITAL treatment of animals.
Not even animals... their name literally is pocket monsters... what!? We arn't allowed to make monsters fight in a world where single parents send 10 year olds off to never return?