Peter Jackson Writes Legolas Into The Hobbit

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Speaking as someone who was so pissed off by what Jackson did to Faramir in The Two Towers that he still hasn't seen The Return of the King, I'm okay with this. Legolas is the son of the Wood Elves' king -- you know, the one who figured so heavily in the original The Hobbit book? It would honestly be weird if he didn't make at least a cameo. After all, the only reason Legolas wasn't in the book is because Tolkien hadn't come up with the character yet.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
If this is done well then I'm all for it. Orlando Bloom was one of the shining stars of the LotR series (sometimes literally) and I wouldn't mind seeing him portray Legolas again in a small role.

ninja51

Mar 28, 2010
They show up at his fathers (and by extension, his) kingdom. It REALLY wont be hard to write him in in some way. Trust in Jackson people!

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
Bilbo lived for a lot of years after the events in the trilogy, so there is no logical reason to impede legolas, gandalf and gimly to go pay a visit to theyr hobbits friends, and frame the story from that point, heck, he could even do the scene all the way after the end of the second hobbit movie as a "surprise" as he telling the story (both legolas and gimly shouldnt know it) or even after bilbos and frodo,s departure Sam reading the book or something like that, sure is tacky but we KNOW they are in the movies so they have to fit them somewhere. and you cant simply shun off anithing thats not in the books, is impossible to make a 100% accurate book-film traslation

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Considering Legolas is well over 60, and Bilbo visits Thranduil's court, I'm ok with this.

Oh, and because Legolas is awesome. Thank you, Peter Jackson, for giving me so many nerdgasms over the past decade.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Apparently he's supposed to be in the book. Even if he wasn't, it's Peter Jackson. He'll do it right.

iblis666 said:
Faith encouraged, thank you.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
If it's just Bloom coming back as a different elf, I can deal with that. If it's him coming back as Legolas, I think part of my childhood just died. But then again I'm a bit obsessed with The Hobbit.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
Meh, it could be fine. Sure, Legolas isn't in the book, but reasonably he would've been around with the other elves, and at the battle of five armies. If he's just making a couple cameos at those points I don't see a problem, assuming it's kept reasonable. Then again... Peter Jackson. No way he'd keep it reasonable.

To_Sirius

Aug 2, 2009
Veloxe said:
If it's just Bloom coming back as a different elf, I can deal with that. If it's him coming back as Legolas, I think part of my childhood just died. But then again I'm a bit obsessed with The Hobbit.
As I said to someone else:

Step 1) Read above posts.

Step 2) Read Novels.

Step 3) Place your fingers together in an open palm position and apply to face.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
I'm fine with this as long as Legolas isn't joining the Dwarfs in picking up Bilbo at the start.

I demand that the goblins get a musical number though, if there isn't one i'll be sorely dissapointed.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
To_Sirius said:
Veloxe said:
As I said to someone else:

Step 1) Read above posts.

Step 2) Read Novels.

Step 3) Place your fingers together in an open palm position and apply to face.
Fair enough, point to the part in the books where it says Legolas was there during the events that Bilbo took part in. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Is it possible to write him in without destroying canon? Yes. You could do it reasonably from many different situations or possibilities. But on the other hand it just doesn't feel 100% right to me. But that's just a gut feeling, Jackson could probably pull it off fine, but it will still feel off to me seeing Legolas there.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm...

A: Halflings blow
B: Ranjas suck
C: Peter Jackson was a "Right place, right time" director and this feels like his last chance at a paycheck.

I ... might... watch it, but dont color me excited about this even existing, cause it sounds really bad. Adding Orlando bloom back in as a cash in... just makes it seem worse.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
why? i mean i'm not super pissed about it, but fan service generally isn't a good sign.

when u give into the fans, bad things happen. especially when you have to break cannon to do so.

this is especially pointless.

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
I think ive read quite a few inaccuracies about lord of the rings and legolas' character in general from posters on this thread. If characters like Tom Bombadil and Glorfindel can be written out of the Lotr, I can forgive adding Legolas to boost sales.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Okay, Legolas is from Mirkwood, one of the 'big moments' from The hobbit, involves the elves of Mirkwood, I don't see how having a possible cameo of Legolas is going to be such a game breaker.

Now I could be wrong and Jackson might actually be "OMG ruining teh series!" But he has a lot of goodwill built up for me from the LOTR Trilogy, so I'm willing to give him this one.