Peter Jackson Writes Legolas Into The Hobbit

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Tehlanna TPX said:
I didn't take his statement as meaning that Legolas himself will be in the film so much as that we'll be seeing Orlando Bloom. But okay. I'm sure the elitists will freak out no matter what is done, so might as well go big or go home in this case?
Yeah, because it's totally elitist and stupid to expect that a book you love not be totally rewritten for an obvious cash-in. How dare we?

Really, this is going a bit far. I get that he thinks Lord of the Rings was good. And it was. I'll be the first to admit that. But do we really have to totally rewrite the damn book?

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
mikozero said:
viking97 said:
why? i mean i'm not super pissed about it, but fan service generally isn't a good sign.

when u give into the fans, bad things happen. especially when you have to break cannon to do so.

this is especially pointless.
its not really fan service placing Legolas in the court of his father who is a major character. its eminently logical and just isn't mentioned specifically in the books because the Hobbit was written before LOTR and Legolas creation as a defined character.

now if they do much more than that then yes it's fan service.
ah, forgive me, the hobbit was the only book in the universe i read. i got about halfway through the fellowship, but got bored shortly after gandalf took down the balrog.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
If they put Legolas in they have to put Gimili in. Legolas isn't really enjoyable unless he has Gimili there. The two balance each other out nicely.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
It's unnecessary, but poetic license and all. Just as long as he doesn't try to shoehorn too many people who don't belong.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Please, let it just be a cameo. I'm not sure the LotR fans are going to stand for much leeway as far as artistic license goes.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Uggg. I didn't hate Legolas and I'm okay with directors changing some stuff but uggg...

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I'm glad this movie handles the intellectual property with such tact, grace and respect. This isn't a terrible decision at all. I'm so glad that Peter Jackson is shoehorning in people who have no place in the film for no reason.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Could work out, I mean in the story his father is the king of mirkwood and he's only not there because Tolkien probably hadn't came up with him yet. Not a big fan of Bloom here but story wise. No not a big deal.

curtisalanmcgee

Mar 14, 2011
I don't think that this will hurt the story at all. It probably will not add anything to it, but I don't think that it will take anything away. I wouldn't mind seeing old master Tom myself....

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
Uh, I think we can trust the guy who made three of the best fantasy movies of all time. The LOTR movies weren't always faithful to the books either but they worked great as movies.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
RivFader86 said:
Wonder if he will have pimples and braces...guess he was a rather young elf in lotr? so 60 years ago he should be teenagerish? ;P
arent elves imortalish, or at least verry long lived XD? he could he been the same as lotro...but technicly younger.

Ch@Z

Oct 18, 2009
Maybe Legolas will do a Alfred Hitchcock kind of cammo. Just walking around in the background with his dog.

icaritos

Apr 15, 2009
Tehlanna TPX said:
I didn't take his statement as meaning that Legolas himself will be in the film so much as that we'll be seeing Orlando Bloom. But okay. I'm sure the elitists will freak out no matter what is done, so might as well go big or go home in this case?
I wonder if people even know the meaning of the word elitist. Seems to be the go to insult around here.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
This works just fine for me. Seeing as Legolas is an elf and his birthdate was never set in stone to my knowledge(and that's a wide knowledge, so ya know..), and he is the son of the Forest King, it would be silly to not see him being involved with what happens. I always got the impression that Gimli held some animosity against Legolas at first with what happened to Gloin, suggesting that Legolas was around during the dwarves' imprisonment(and not just because Legolas was related to their captor). But the adventure of the Ring helped get things smoothed out to both of their benefit.
I am eager to see where PJ and the writers can go crazy with license as to the battle of Dol Guldur.
Tom Goldman said:
Bloom joins other Lord of the Rings cast members such as Elijah Wood as Frodo Baggins, Andy Serkis as Gollum, and Ian McKellen as Gandalf. The first Hobbit film of two is shooting now and scheduled for release in 2012.
Elijah Wood? But Frodo wasn't even born yet!
Heh, just kidding. Frodo is going to be featured in separate segments reading Bilbo's adventures. Wonder if it will be kind of like how they did The Princess Bride?

*:I have to laugh at the previous posts supposing Legolas was just a child during the time of The Hobbit. Do these people who I have to hope at least watched the LOTR movies do not realize the lifespan of elves? If you want to make a decent opinion on something, know what you are talking about. Please.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Honestly, this isn't the worst cameo that could happen and I won't mind as long as he isn't a key character.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
I consider the LOTR trilogy to be the best movies of all time. and trust that peter Jackson knows what he is doing. he has not yet created a movie that has disappointed. haters are gonna hate. I find it strange that people are judging the movie before it is out.