Peter Jackson Writes Legolas Into The Hobbit

Draksila

Feb 10, 2010
koroem said:
Orlando Bloomin Onion makes movies bad.....

On the bright side, Mark Walburg might not be in the Uncharted movie with the director backing out, so maybe this is the universe balancing itself out?
Off-topic, but dear God in heaven THANK YOU!

On-topic... I don't see an issue with this. Most of the elves in the original book were unnamed, and as already pointed out Legolas would have been one of the unnamed princes in Mirkwood anyway. People might gripe if his role is embellished a bit, but as long as he doesn't join the dwarves and go gallavanting around the countryside there shouldn't be a problem.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
i have no problem with this
whatever will get people out there to see the movie
and if having orlando bloom in it will help sales and jack up the possibility of more films in a similar vein then i'm completely for it

Professor Cubbage

Aug 19, 2009
I don't see this being a problem. Just give him a cameo when the dwarves get captured in Mirkwood and then show him doing some fighting at the end.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
SvenBTB said:
Huh... well, guess we'll see. Hope he knows what he's doing. In theory he could be alive then probably, but still. We'll see.
Gladiateher said:
Sigh... I am disappoint after busting out such a great trilogy who'd a thunk Pete would sink so low.
OhSnap said:
...The reason I liked Jackson's LotR movies was because he was fairly faithful to the books. Understandably he had to cut some scenes (and completely ruined the character of Faramir, which I will never forgive him for -_-), but overall he stayed faithful.

I don't get why he would want to write in Legolas when he wasn't in the Hobbit. Don't get me wrong, I liked Bloom in the trilogy, but he has no place in the Hobbit. Unless it's like a 5 minute kind of hanging out in the background thing.

I'm just a stickler for details like that though.
u guise they go through Mirkwood and visit Thranduils Halls.

Thranduil is Legolas' father. There is absolutely no fucking reason why he isn't there in the Hobbit, apart from the obvious fact that Tolkien hadn't made him up yet.

Seriously, and especially you, OhSnap, this is much less of an infraction on the original than cutting out Tom Bombadil.

Chris^^

Mar 11, 2009
they better do this well :mad:

Professor Cubbage said:
I don't see this being a problem. Just give him a cameo when the dwarves get captured in Mirkwood and then show him doing some fighting at the end.
like this

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
It sure seems like Jackson is just trying to shoehorn in returning stars so he can attract more viewers, but he is, in my eyes, one of the greatest living directors in existence, so I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Well... he is an elf. Wasn't he several hundred years old in the main trilogy? I suppose he would have been around in the Hobbit.

Also, Aragorn would have been 20ish. That would be fun to see :D

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
If it's a cameo, the damage will be minimal.

Try to work him into too many scenes and it'll completely ruin the film.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I have no problem with Legolas being in the Hobbit. First off, he's freaking awesome, and second, he is Prince of Mirkwood, and they do go to Mirkwood, so it makes sense they might see him.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Well, I'm mixed on his, I mean I liked Legolas as much as the next person, but I'm sceptical about him being in the Hobbit. I mean sure they do have that little run in with Legolas' father, Thranduil and I'm pretty sure he IS mentioned in the book (If not by name) so if they keep it mostly to a cameo or a line or two of dialog it shouldn't be too bad.

michiehoward

Apr 18, 2010
Don't care, just mighty happy to be visiting Peter Jackson's Middle Earth again.

In celebration I'm gonna pull out my extended cut and watch the trilogy and all the extra disk.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
im still not sure about this film, because i never read The Hobbit, it just doesnt peak my interest. i need a trailer.
also, wasnt Frodo like 10 years old during this time?

SvenBTB said:
In theory he could be alive then probably, but still. We'll see.
well isnt he thousand's of years old? so yeah. elves can live forever cant they?

Larmo

May 20, 2008
Bobbity said:
Well, they do pass through Mirkwood, so so long as it's not much more than a cameo, I'm happy about it. :D
Same here, a cameo would be fun, a lengthy character it just shoehorning.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Legolas was the best character in the trilogy. i'm glad he's in it, roll on the next film

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
there is NO reason you cant have legolas in the hobbit, there were plenty of elves in the hobbit and plenty of them were not named

now, if they break the story in half in an effort to insert him into it, I will not be watching it and be firmly with the 'screw you Hollywood some of us have standards' group

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I don't mind this. As long as Jackson makes the Battle of Five Armies gloriously epic, he could have Sarah Jessica Parker cameo as Legolas's horse for all I care.

Jun 26, 2010
To_Sirius said:
This whole article is pointless. While he's not mentioned by name, he is infact mentioned in the book; as he is a Prince of Mirkwood and his father plays a MASSIVE part in the third act. I recall the book mentioning Thranduil's sons specifically. In fact, I even recall a quote where Thranduil says something along the lines of Bilbo being more deserving of the title of "Prince" than his sons, who happen to be standing next to him.
Call me a hardcore hobbit nerd, but those idiots on facebook don't know what they are talking about.
This.