PewDiePie Addresses Recent Media Coverage Amidst Controversy

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Never liked Pewds before now, because he's finally helping everyone see just how ideologically full of shit the media has become. And they are fucking nuts, they are so far up their own ass in their own echo chamber that they need a good beating.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I fucking love that the NYT used the term "populist revolt" and like it was a bad thing too. I guess we're living in a fucking aristocracy now.

But yeah, the media has picked a fight it is losing and Im glad to see it, and this isnt the first time in recent history where big outlets like the WSJ have stuck their dick in a hornets nest. It's spectacular how pathetically transparent the media has become and that mostly everyone has caught on to it. It is more or less the media that opened the gate for SJW's to poison the well of intellectual and genuine political discourse and now that the media is becoming as transparent as it is, a lot of people are being red-pilled.

EDIT: FreeKekistan

Sep 24, 2008
Why are we all so ready to go from one extreme to the next?

What happened to the gray area? Why are we so ready to thrust our swords in the ground and make every issue into a life or death stands by the hated... whatever group that bothers us now?

I haven't read all publications about PDP's issues, but the ones I have presented facts. Apparently, a lot of hate goes to the Wall Street Journal because they brought it up to Disney by questioning them. And more over, not the Wall Street Journal as a whole. I'm sure Sports wasn't knocking on Disney's door. The Lifestyle column wasn't asking for a Boycott. A reporter. One story. That was all Wall Street Journal's involvement with this case. A reporter said I'm going to do this, An editor said do it, and that's that.

And then we start whipping out the labels. SWJ's, White Knights. Always complaining and trying to make the world a certain way. How is that any different from us complaining and making a certain way. If the SWJs and White Knights get together and say that the world would be better without their opponents oppressing their way of thought and expressing what they don't like, how is that any different than the other side getting together and saying that the world would be better without SWJs and White Knights oppressing their way of though tand expressing what they don't like? It's exactly the same. One says Freedom to say whatever I want, One says Freedom to live their lives without feeling repressed.

Literally, how is that any different? How? Both sides are asking for freedom to be who they are. And both sides say that can only happen if people on the other side could stop their backwards ways long enough to leave them alone. If you've picked a side, you're guilty. We shouldn't be looking at each other as labels we can bash, but people that either deserves respect or to be taken down a peg. But when you do either, don't do it because of a label. Do it to the individual and then take everyone else you meet with the same grain of salt you want others to take you with.

We are freaking individuals. Where along the line did we forget that and decided humanity should just be easily digestible labels?

Gibbagobba said:
No. It's this kind of attitude that leads to groups like the KKK and neo-Nazis rising to prominence. Just like any prohibition, the more you try to take something away from someone, the more they'll want to have it. When somebody is called a racist/sexist/homophobe/bigot day-in and day-out without any reason or evidence, and they are silenced any time they try to defend themselves, can you really be shocked when they retaliate with the opposite extreme?

Humor is meant to push boundaries, to make awful things more palatable so we can get over them. You can't dictate how everyone else should feel about something just because it offends your personal sensibilities.
But you see, therein lies the rub.

A little bit about me. I'm a black guy from New york. Reasonably tall and I work out for a living, so some people are actually naturally intimidated about me. Some make jokes about me soon being arrested or shot for something because I'm black. And then in the wake of the recent way current sentiment is, I find myself with people saying "Hey, I'm not being racist, but you look at stats..."

That doesn't make me go "GOD DAMNIT, I'M TIRED OF THIS. I'm going to turn to crime if everyone thinks I'm a criminal just because of my skin color and 'stats'!"

No reasonable person would do this. A reasonable person would never look at a another person they consider as an equal and then suddenly become against everything the other stood for because someone said "Well you're against that person!". That doesn't make sense. You only 'make' the switch to a full blown opponent of something to that degree if it was already in your heart. People USE 'SJWs' and'Feminism' and the like to say they had no choice to suddenly become bigoted because they were the true victim, and that bigotry is somehow the only way they could protect themselves. Or the hate that was put upon them was so much that they changed sides.

Again. I've been hated for who I was in some form for all my life. The hate didn't turn me running for some militarized black revolutionary group because I realized logically that A.) not everyone hates me and B.) Hate met with Hate leads no where.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
... all media "except those that agree with them" are false and bad. ... "evil media" ...
*gasp* I'm shocked. Not all media are false and bad, and they certainly aren't evil. What a terrible statement. :O

Because, context, who needs that.

If you actually bothered to look, his jokes and commentary all revolve around the fact that Nazi's are bad and genocide is terrible. It falls apart if you don't believe that. Sure, maybe there are some extremely unaware Nazi's out there who take it at face value, but then the same could be said about Stephen Colberts old show. The right reaction to those people is just to point and laugh that they don't get they are the butt of the joke.
But thats the problem. Too many people take the joke seriously, and Im not talking about those offended by it, I mean those who now feel encouraged or supported by PewDiePie.

"Its just a joke" really loses itself at that point. Too many people get enwrapped in these so called jokes, but well...you can only say something ironically for so long before you start saying it unironically.
-_- who cares about those people? Stop letting Nazi's effect how you think. I mean, do you hate the Wall Street Journal now because they say they are big fans? You're giving them way more power than they deserve.
Considering that such people have a President in power they find acceptable, I care because I live in this country and dont want my rights taken from me.

Bigotry is a big deal and it has only gotten worse since this election. You may not care but I do because if people dont care things only get worse.
Wow, you reeeeeally want to make this about Trump.

Want to know something really funny though? Conservative radio talk show hosts are on your side.
Considering that people are using this as another excuse to take issue with "SJW's" and "Evil Media", the same type people who support Trump, well.

And you're gonna have to site sources and elaborate on that last bit. Cause "On my side" in the general sense they are not. Occasionally agreeing on something doesnt invalidate everything else either.
Holly, F*** NO KIDDING!!! "Occasionally agreeing on something doesn't invalidate everything else either." Could probably just end it right there. It's such an ironic statement to exist right after you try to invalidate people by labeling them Trump supporters.

Hard to provide transcripts of radio shows, most don't have them and it tends to be a paid service for ones that do. In lieu of that, here's Breitbart labeling his video's anti-semitic.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/youtube-star-pewdiepie-dumped-over-anti-semitic-videos/

The Ditz

Lord of the Never There
Dec 18, 2012
hentropy said:
It is a little comical how foolish and naive people talk about the "mainstream" media. It's ALL media, you idiotas. Alternative media is just as quick to lie, mischaracterize, smear, and sent giant harassment mobs towards anything or anyone they don't like.

Media by design is sensationalist, when people start supporting and consuming bland, boring, non-sensationalist, just-the-facts reporting, then maybe we'll get somewhere. But that's not actually what most of these people trying to heroically tear down "the MSM" actually want, they just want to sell you their own safe space echo chamber where everything they feed are comfortable lies and political fabrications. You're being played no matter what media outlet you choose, and the only way to win is not to play.
Thank you, someone here is making sense.

I don't know why I check out comment sections anywhere these days, they just further my creeping suspicion that humanity is never going to be anything more than shaved apes on a mud ball.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
... all media "except those that agree with them" are false and bad. ... "evil media" ...
*gasp* I'm shocked. Not all media are false and bad, and they certainly aren't evil. What a terrible statement. :O

If you actually bothered to look, his jokes and commentary all revolve around the fact that Nazi's are bad and genocide is terrible. It falls apart if you don't believe that. Sure, maybe there are some extremely unaware Nazi's out there who take it at face value, but then the same could be said about Stephen Colberts old show. The right reaction to those people is just to point and laugh that they don't get they are the butt of the joke.
But thats the problem. Too many people take the joke seriously, and Im not talking about those offended by it, I mean those who now feel encouraged or supported by PewDiePie.

"Its just a joke" really loses itself at that point. Too many people get enwrapped in these so called jokes, but well...you can only say something ironically for so long before you start saying it unironically.
-_- who cares about those people? Stop letting Nazi's effect how you think. I mean, do you hate the Wall Street Journal now because they say they are big fans? You're giving them way more power than they deserve.
Considering that such people have a President in power they find acceptable, I care because I live in this country and dont want my rights taken from me.

Bigotry is a big deal and it has only gotten worse since this election. You may not care but I do because if people dont care things only get worse.

Want to know something really funny though? Conservative radio talk show hosts are on your side.
Considering that people are using this as another excuse to take issue with "SJW's" and "Evil Media", the same type people who support Trump, well.

And you're gonna have to site sources and elaborate on that last bit. Cause "On my side" in the general sense they are not. Occasionally agreeing on something doesnt invalidate everything else either.
Holly, F*** NO KIDDING!!! "Occasionally agreeing on something doesn't invalidate everything else either." Could probably just end it right there. It's such an ironic statement to exist right after you try to invalidate people by labeling them Trump supporters.

Hard to provide transcripts of radio shows, most don't have them and it tends to be a paid service for ones that do. In lieu of that, here's Breitbart labeling his video's anti-semitic.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/youtube-star-pewdiepie-dumped-over-anti-semitic-videos/
So you showed me a case of Breitbart just reporting news. Wasnt much of an opinion expressed either way in the article.

Also there is a difference between agreeing on some things, and electing someone, or in many cases, not actively stopping him. When you support someone who will be leading and shaping many things, you inevitably support their entirety, like it or not.

It isnt like a friend asking you to see a movie and you can decide you dont want to go if you dont like the movie. Its like picking someone to choose all your movies for you, and getting mad when the person who always wants to see bad romance movies keeps forcing you to see bad romance movies. He says he doesnt like them, but thats all he ever talks about.

A bit of a clunky metaphor, but still.

When PewDiePie just made shitty youtube videos, it was easier to ignore him (not as easy as I would like, but still). But he has money and more power than many people may realize, and what he does with that matters, for good or bad.

(Even more so with Trump who is PRESIDENT NOW).

If you dont deal with problems, they usually just grow in severity.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Deathfish15 said:
90sgamer said:
It is a shame he felt the need to apologize to placate idiots. A joke--even a bad one--is not an endorsement. Anyone who does not understand that is a person not worth listening to.
There are just somethings you don't joke about. I guarantee a white guy that says the "n word" in a joke would lose their job; some straight guy making a gay joke with the "f word" would also have their severance package handed to them. There are a million other ways to push the envelope of making a point without making at the expense of another group of people. That is what this is. His PUNCHLINE was at an expense. And he paid the price for that. End of story. Move on and stop defending him.

Your defense of this attitude is the same kind of sickening defense of now President Trump's anti-homosexual VP, his ignorant cabinet picks, and his constant action without forethought. It is everything that is wrong with society because it speaks that intolerance can be tolerated because "we don't take it seriously!". Well wake the fuck up and take it seriously, because it seriously is damaging this country. It seriously is an undertone for members like those of the KKK. It seriously is uneducated, backwards thinking that needs to be called out and not tolerated.
You have a serious problem with gauging equivalence. Defending the actions taken by the most powerful person on Earth, actions that will affect the globe, is the same as defending the video content of an entertainer most people do not know about? Please tell me more.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
ObsidianJones said:
Some of this sounds like a strawman based on not having read into all the details. See, the thing is that the response of "freedom to say anything" isn't coming majorly from a place of hate. The vast majority of people taking this stance are doing so because they've been brow-beaten into submission by political correctness. "Make one wrong move and you're a racist!" essentially.

Nobody is saying that you aren't allowed to be offended by or contest a joke or opinion. By all means, do so. That's what makes a free society work. But where I and many others draw the line is developing a system in government or society that actively punishes, silences, and intimidates people for controversial opinions and speech. There are plenty of people I don't like for their opinions, but I would never want their platform or audience to be removed. That would only show myself to be a coward with a weak position.

At its core, this isn't a right vs. left/liberal vs. conservative conflict. This is the people's freedom vs. moral busybodies who want to dictate how everyone else should think and conduct themselves.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
This was some awful reporting. Not so much biased as willfully inaccurate. This comes at a really bad time too, while Trump is banging on about Fake News and saying how the media lies about him, crap like this only lends credence to him

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:

So you showed me a case of Breitbart just reporting news. Wasnt much of an opinion expressed either way in the article.

Also there is a difference between agreeing on some things, and electing someone, or in many cases, not actively stopping him. When you support someone who will be leading and shaping many things, you inevitably support their entirety, like it or not.

It isnt like a friend asking you to see a movie and you can decide you dont want to go if you dont like the movie. Its like picking someone to choose all your movies for you, and getting mad when the person who always wants to see bad romance movies keeps forcing you to see bad romance movies. He says he doesnt like them, but thats all he ever talks about.

When PewDiePie just made shitty youtube videos, it was easier to ignore him (not as easy as I would like, but still). But he has money and more power than many people may realize, and what he does with that matters, for good or bad.

Don't know what to tell you. If you want you can go here http://www.michaelmedved.com/from-the-show/todays-broadcast/ and pay to listen to the third hour of Wednesday's broadcast but I'm not going to do it. Breight Bart does run with that the video's ARE anti-semitic instead of actually looking into it.

If this is really the battle you want to fight, go for it. The WSJ has put you on really weak ground though so I don't see how you can win. I think that's why you keep trying to pivot this to Trump in this. Just saying, If you don't like how this is playing out, blame the WSJ for bad reporting... and for daily stormer being fan of the wsj, I hear them liking you automatically makes you a Nazi.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:
Ukomba said:
Saelune said:

Don't know what to tell you. If you want you can go here http://www.michaelmedved.com/from-the-show/todays-broadcast/ and pay to listen to the third hour of Wednesday's broadcast but I'm not going to do it. Breight Bart does run with that the video's ARE anti-semitic instead of actually looking into it.

If this is really the battle you want to fight, go for it. The WSJ has put you on really weak ground though so I don't see how you can win. I think that's why you keep trying to pivot this to Trump in this. Just saying, If you don't like how this is playing out, blame the WSJ for bad reporting... and for daily stormer being fans, I hear them liking you automatically makes you a Nazi.
Im not going to do your research for you. You wanted to make a point. Im not going to make your point for you.

And whats with the letter jumble? I dont know if you are being snarky, or just type it out of order, but it is well, if there is a point to it, I dont see it.

And "win"? What am I winning? A world full of bigots and people who dont care about bigots but care when people get upset at bigotry while claiming that they dont like either side but only ever criticize the anti-bigot side?

Personally I find it sadly amusing how far people are willing to defend and feel bad for wealthy idiots. Its not like he is going to become homeless now. He has more money than he could ever know what to do with. He will be fine. Hes not even gone from youtube, he just has a smaller (but still big) paycheck now.

Is that a battle you want to fight?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Katherine Kerensky said:
Yeah, the media is pretty fucking shit nowadays
Oh please. Gossip-news surrounding celebrities has been crap since the inception of modern journalism. This thing surrounding PewDiePie is nothing new.

We should just stop shouting "the media!" already, it's as childish as shouting "the establishment!" or something like that. It means nothing of value.
ObsidianJones said:
We are freaking individuals. Where along the line did we forget that and decided humanity should just be easily digestible labels?
Human psycho-biology dictates that. It takes quite a lot of conscious effort to subvert that.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Saelune said:

If you truly care about Bigotry through Trumps Presidency so much, then fight against Trump. You should have truly better things to do then shitting on a youtube-comedian for making misunderstood jokes.
The Media can be shit sometimes. It's sensationalist by design which means a lot of context can be lost if it makes for a better story that way. That doesn't mean that Trump isn't shit, either. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is a practice that generally doesn't work in real life, exspecially if you have politics involved. Trump is a lying sociopath, who would burn america to the ground for a bit of profit. Doesn't mean that Pewdiepie wasn't taken out of context by the media.

Sep 24, 2008
Gibbagobba said:
ObsidianJones said:
Some of this sounds like a strawman based on not having read into all the details. See, the thing is that the response of "freedom to say anything" isn't coming majorly from a place of hate. The vast majority of people taking this stance are doing so because they've been brow-beaten into submission by political correctness. "Make one wrong move and you're a racist!" essentially.

Nobody is saying that you aren't allowed to be offended by or contest a joke or opinion. By all means, do so. That's what makes a free society work. But where I and many others draw the line is developing a system in government or society that actively punishes, silences, and intimidates people for controversial opinions and speech. There are plenty of people I don't like for their opinions, but I would never want their platform or audience to be removed. That would only show myself to be a coward with a weak position.

At its core, this isn't a right vs. left/liberal vs. conservative conflict. This is the people's freedom vs. moral busybodies who want to dictate how everyone else should think and conduct themselves.
That would be the case if my argument was about Pewdiepie. My argument is about how everyone is acting. In this thread. In almost everything.

In your response, the phrasing of "Brow-beaten into submission by political correctness" and the term "moral busybodies" with the idea of "this isn't a right vs. left/liberal vs. conservative conflict" loses footing. With how concepts you phrased, perceived intentions and ideas come out. You say it isn't about ideals and parties, but you associate the ideals of certain parties in a disparaging light. My question is what makes your line drawing different than theirs? Than anyone's?

The comment I highlighted from you and the over all point I was trying to make is that everyone seems to view things Black and White. The predominating thought nowadays seems to be "I'm on the side of justice, those guys over there are ruining everything". From your own hypothetical, how long can people be denied something before they get extreme?

So what if all these typically considered political correct groups got to their breaking point? What if years of treatment that others who were not affected by the situation might have considered benign, a non issue, or never even considered it in the first place finally set these groups off which caused their movement to get louder and bolder? Would denied respect causing the PC movement be any different than denied expression causing a rise in hate groups?

More importantly, instead of the knee jerk reaction to just join the opposite cause to fight against, why can't this be talked out?

Both sides, the freedom lovers and the 'moral busybodies' as you put it want the same thing while simultaneously seemingly to deny it for others: To be able to express and be heard. Freedom lovers want the ability to express themselves, and they express it by telling others they don't want the PC expressing themselves in certain ways because they feel it infringes their freedom. And I freaking get that. I love being able to type my thoughts out here because they are my thoughts.

But on the same token, The PC want the ability to express themselves, and they express it by telling the Freedom lovers listen to them... that there are issues they don't feel like anyone but them takes seriously. I also get that. And in fact, the Freedom Lovers get it too because of their responses of feeling their personal ability of expressing themselves slipping through their fingers. Not to mention how damaging that is to one's self worth in thinking they have a voice that doesn't matter any more.

Now you, you've been very reasonable. You've said plainly if something upsets someone, they should say it out right. Completely on board. But in looking into a lot of these groups' agenda, they only got loud because speaking about it was met with shrugs and disbelief.

My issue is this. I don't want to win. I don't want to silence others. I've literally had conversations with other minorities that we can never, ever take away the KKK and other hate groups ability to express themselves because in turn we set the precedent for having our very freedoms taken away too. But I want to use this powerful weapon of communication that we have. I want to sit down and I want to discuss. This sniping at each other endlessly that the world is doing is not going to fix anything.

It will be exhausting to try to respect or even freaking tolerate everyone there is. An impossible task. But trying to antagonize others to our point of view because we felt antagonized by their actions is a fool's errand. It's pointless, and it's lead to the crap show we have now. We tried it this way. It fucking sucked. And it's equally as exhausting as trying to respect and tolerate others. Even more so because we have to lump on the fact that we have enemies.

This way isn't working. Black and White is an old way that never worked. We need to move into the gray.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Eh, you have a point about celebrity gossip, but most news outlets nowadays aren't much better, is what I meant.
Also, there are two types of people. You should eat a Snickers.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Amaror said:
Saelune said:

If you truly care about Bigotry through Trumps Presidency so much, then fight against Trump. You should have truly better things to do then shitting on a youtube-comedian for making misunderstood jokes.
The Media can be shit sometimes. It's sensationalist by design which means a lot of context can be lost if it makes for a better story that way. That doesn't mean that Trump isn't shit, either. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is a practice that generally doesn't work in real life, exspecially if you have politics involved. Trump is a lying sociopath, who would burn america to the ground for a bit of profit. Doesn't mean that Pewdiepie wasn't taken out of context by the media.
Theres a Religion and Politics section on this forum. Some of you might want to notice it sometime. I do have better things to do, which is why I spent all that time before not wasting my time with this guy. You will find no youtube comments on his video from me bashing him, cause that is a waste of time.

This however is a bit less of a time waster, since it illuminates a bunch of other relevant problems beyond a shitty youtuber.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Kjellberg appeared emotional towards the end of the video, at one point appearing to tear up while thanking everyone who has supported him.
Aaaand, fuck this hypocritical douche bag.

"I made a joke about killing all Jews! Lololololol, why you offended, bros?! It's just a joke! Lawl!"
Then...
"People criticized me about my joke and I lost my sponsors? Oh woe is me! I'm gonna cry now! Feel sorry for me!!"

What a piece of shit. Fuck this guy. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and just chalk it up to him being really shitty at making a 'social commentary joke' while having his content taken out of context, but this response video says it all.

Or, to put it another way:
Vern said:
So, he's basically saying he's sorry that people were offended. Not sorry for what he did, but sorry that people were offended. The inability to feel empathy is a hallmark trait of a sociopath. "I'm sorry that you can't see that what I did was great. I'm sorry that you lack the ability to see my intelligence."
Precisely.

Makabriel said:
Dude.. if you have Disney backing you, you don't use stuff like that. No matter how much context you have in the video. Professional suicide.
Which demonstrates just how unprofessional the man is, and further explains his sense of 'humor'.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
hentropy said:
and the only way to win is not to play.
Yet another valuable lesson from the incredibly (and surprisingly) insightful films of the 80's, sadly lost to time.

Ironic, really, seeing as so many yearn for the 'days of yore', back when everything was supposedly 'great'.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Saelune said:
Theres a Religion and Politics section on this forum. Some of you might want to notice it sometime. I do have better things to do, which is why I spent all that time before not wasting my time with this guy. You will find no youtube comments on his video from me bashing him, cause that is a waste of time.

This however is a bit less of a time waster, since it illuminates a bunch of other relevant problems beyond a shitty youtuber.
Why are you berating me on bringing up politics in this thread, when YOU were the one who brought up Trump time and time again in this thread in the first place?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Amaror said:
Saelune said:

Why are you berating me on bringing up politics in this thread, when YOU were the one who brought up Trump time and time again in this thread in the first place?
I did not mean that comment as telling you to not talk about it, sorry if it came that way. I said it because I am very active there and regularly engage in serious political topics, while I feel you and the other person I was arguing with make it seem I -only- care about arguing about PewDiePie.