Phrases That Make You "Cringe"

there is no spoon

Jun 20, 2008
Bluntman1138 said:
there is no spoon said:
Scientific theory or is defined as "A hypothesis that has been substantiated either by observation, or a repeatable test." The wording my change from one text book/website to another but is says roughly the same thing. Now having said that, we can't test evolution in complicated organisms such as modern mammals, reptiles, birds..etc
You forgot one major point. The peer review process. The evolutionary theory has been through this process. It is accepted, it is considered scientific "law". Until something can come up and disprove it (which at this point, with the evidence evolution has, is improbable)

And you are wrong on one other point, and this shows where your research is not up to snuff. We HAVE witnessed evolution in complex organisms. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080417112433.htm

You consider reptiles to be "complicated" enough, that seeing this evolution should be enough to counter your argument that we havent "seen" evolution in a complicated organism. It can take decades to centuries for evolution to be witnessed, and quite frankly, we have only been trying to "witness" evolution for 40-50 years. And we have seen it already, in an organism that just produces more generations than others.

It could take thousands of more years for us to witness evolution in most mammals, besides domesticated animals which is just forced evolution. But that doesn't mean evolution is not real, or not happening.

Note: When I say fact in a scientific sense, I mean scientific law. Evolution is a scientific fact, it is a theory that has undergone the peer review process, has a mountain of evidence for and none against (except religious). It is the best possible explanation of the evidence that has been brought forth.
The only problem with theories that stand with no evidence and have only peer review to go on is that even a large amount of well educated scientist can be wrong. Reverse the clock a couple hundred years and the scientific agreement was the earth was flat. They had no evidence but it made sense to them so thats just the way it was. However, the article you enclosed was very interesting and I wasn't aware any such study took place and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. I clearly need to set some time aside and browse the internet for similar experiments.

TroubleMaker411

Jan 18, 2011
SheleKnights said:
TroubleMaker411 said:
Oh, here's so many to choose from:
"LOL" I hate the abbreviation as it is, but people that actually SAY "lol" just make me want to kerbstomp them!
And by extension, pretty much anything from the same family. "ROFL" is not a fucking word. You wanna laugh, just fucking laugh. you ain't got to say "LOL" "ROFL" or "PMSL" unless you are talking over MSN messenger.
and you're 12.
I believe the term you are searching for is "curb-stomp."
But let's move onto something to something a little more on topic; I have learned to accept the grammatical and spelling errors of others on the internet, because it just means we have different values. I am not a better or more righteous person just because I know how to spell something they don't, I just care about it more than them, and that's fine.
Actually, KERB is a widely accepted alternative spelling of the word CURB
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/kerb

And you will have to excuse the fact that I was typing fast and missed the fucking space key.

Please do not take digs at me pretending to be the bigger man for ignoring it and being polite about it. It doesn't make you better, it actually makes you look like a self-righteous twat.

Monkeybald said:
"for the lulz"

Saying that nullifies intended "lulz" for me.
THIS!
I actually work with people that say this
(and LEGIT!, I fucking hate that)
I'm looking forward to the lectures on language that my kids will be taking. Coming home saying "Dad, did you know that we used to use apostrophes" "really?" I'll say, "No shit"

George Carlin must be spinning in his grave

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
When I first encountered it (I've mellowed on it a bit since then), "hella". What? Seriously? "hell of a" was just one syllable too many to deal with?

kjrubberducky

Dec 21, 2008
"It's scientific fact."

Usually used when someone thinks that, because IT'S SCIENCE!!!!, it suddenly becomes a universal, unquestionable truth.

"It's just a theory."

Used by people who don't understand that SCIENTIFIC theories have overwhelming evidence in their favor; they aren't just a bunch of best guesses and suppositions.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I hate misuse of the word "like"...... The sad thing is that as a result of attending junior high ( no I'm not in junior high I'm a college student)I have started to misuse it myself....... When I do I cringe.

I remember during my junior year of high school in my English class we were having a class discussion on the Merchant of Venice; and this girl got up to talk, she must have said "like" over 60 times (thats not an exaggeration I counted after I realized I couldn't tell what she was saying due to all the "likes".) I reached the 40's before she was done.

in regards to the previous post

should've is a actual word in the dictionary..... is a contraction but it is still there.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Most stock phrases sound unoriginal and really 'grind my gears' *shudder*. As for the Internet, I really cringe when I see "*Facepalm*" and "Wow, just wow" 'added' to a discussion.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
there is no spoon said:
The only problem with theories that stand with no evidence and have only peer review to go on is that even a large amount of well educated scientist can be wrong. Reverse the clock a couple hundred years and the scientific agreement was the earth was flat. They had no evidence but it made sense to them so thats just the way it was. However, the article you enclosed was very interesting and I wasn't aware any such study took place and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. I clearly need to set some time aside and browse the internet for similar experiments.
No they didn't. We've known the world was round for a VERY long time, the idea that we thought it was flat is actually a cross between a historical fallacy and a strawman argument that has entered into the common psyche. The former has likely had the bigger impact, the latter coming mostly from people who are arguing that scientific progress is not always true.

I'm not saying you're using it in the wrong way, we HAVE had 'knowledge' that has turned out to be wrong though thankfully nothing since the scientific process was established (that isn't bastardisation of the science, like the 'autism link'). Just not that one, we've known the world was round for a very long time.

Misuse of the word irony kinda gets to me, something which is bad, unfortunate or unlikely is not ironic, irony has a very specific definition but not a difficult one, it always surprises me that so many people misuse it.

Oh and people saying things like l.o.l. out loud, it shouldn't really bother me that much since the sentiment is obvious and not necessarily bad but...in human interaction we can actually laugh, or smile, or have a shocked face (omg) and so on. I think that's why they bother me...

Quid Plura

Apr 27, 2010
1. Americans who use the word "like" between almost every word they say.
2. Soccertalk, pretentious babbling about the sport. Worthy of mention is Johan Cruyff, who, at 64, still hasn't mastered the most basic Dutch grammar.
3. It's not my thing, or "I'm doing my thing"

ilikepie59

Dec 4, 2008
1. Literally (when used wrong)
2. I could care less

If you say either of these, I could care less if you just died. I literally die when I hear them.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Master Steeds said:
Blunderboy said:
Being from Essex, anything from this atrocious show called The Only Way Is Essex.

Just, no.
hey im from essex to :)

and yeah i hate that show, my sister bought the fucking DVD of it -__________-
Oh dear.
Does she know she's letting her county down? :p

Also, this site has made me cringe at the phrase. "Am I the only one?"

hotacidbath

Mar 2, 2009
It's not a saying, more of a common mistake that people make. It drives me nuts when people mix up poisonous and venomous. As a zookeeper I run into this a lot and I always cringe a little inside when someone asks if a snake or spider is poisonous. A basic break-down of the difference is if you eat something and it kills you, it's poisonous. If it bites you and kills you, it's venomous. It's a small thing to get annoyed about, but I can't help it. I also get frustrated when people say "I could care less." I think what you mean is "I couldn't care less."

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
Might not be a phrase, but when people change things in text form to make the word the exact same length or longer irritates the fuck out of me - words like 'boi' or 'phat'.

I'm sure my best friend does this on purpose now because he knows it really annoys me. He always uses the word 'am' in the context: "Am on my way up." or "Am going in town tonight."

IT'S I'M YOU STUPID FUCK! I don't even really give a shit about the apostrophe when you're texting me but at least get the spelling right!

Oliver Pink

Apr 3, 2010
kebab4you said:
Oliver Pink said:
It's not so much a phrase,

But whenever I hear a TF2 player in mid-trade, and they use the term 'sweeteners' - I want to deck them.
Okey I got to ask, do they really mean sugar substitute when they say that? o_o
No - it means 'you should add some other random items to make this deal "sweeter"' - ie, a greedy cash-grab.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
"You're a(n) 'XYZ', you wouldn't understand."

Where XYZ = man/dolphin/tax payer/mammal/whatever

Just because I am or am not XYZ doesn't mean I can't sympathise/empathise. It's the kind of shit people say when they do not actually want to discuss anything and expect everyone around them to just agree and MIND THOSE EGGSHELLS!!!

Mar 9, 2010
liveslowdiefast said:
"the exception that proves the rule" as well its dumb and doesn't make sense. END OF.
The exception that proves the rule seems dumb, but it's actually just misinterpreted. The fact that it is the exception proves that the rule is generally right. If the rule wasn't true then it wouldn't be the exception.

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
People who say sorry at the beginning of sentences when they disagree with you, such as "Sorry, but I hated X game".

I mean I think I understand what they are thinking, about how they are apologizing for having to disagree with you, but for me it always comes off as saying "My opinion is so important that your feelings are getting crushed when I disagree.".

It's probly just my imagination, but it bothers me to no end regardless.

Also, people who start sentences with the word "Um", plus X amount of M's tacked on. Again, it just sounds like they are being an arrogant ponce.

Aegixx

Aug 5, 2009
Youtube comments
"Thumbs up if you like X!!!111"
"Who else noticed [exceedingly obvious thing]? THUMBS UP!"
and especially the dreaded "Thumps up!"
IT'S THUMBS. YOU CAN'T EVEN GET FAIL RIGHT.

Also, imagine a 5 minute video of various people screaming at some prank where a guy jumps out of a closet.
"I liked the part where the guy screamed."
ARGH.

Finally, the ultimate fusion of "I liked the part where X did Y. THUMPS UP" would probably make me punch through my monitor and tear that comment off Youtube.