Piracy, Not Consoles, Killed the PC Exclusive

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
Mcoffey said:
ph0b0s123 said:
The dumb thing is the PC does not have 'exclusives'. Just games other platforms of the time could not handle. So now consoles are in the same ball park as PC's as far a processing, exclusives were always going to decrease. Piracy or not PC games sales are always generally going to be less than consoles sales, so people go to the bigger market. You can see this when you notice that most games now are designed for consoles and then ported to the PC after the fact.
A good pc is actually many times more powerful than a console. That power wont get you much since we haven't had a game that chews up rigs and spits them out like Crysis since then though. Since most games are made for consoles, all that extra power goes mostly unused.
But the gap is not as big as it was in the PS2 days, when completely different versions of the same game were made for the console market verses the PC market. That's when games unique to the PC were more prevalent.
I have to interject here, the gap is BIGGER THAN EVER. John Carmack has gone on the record that PC gaming is capable of 10x processing load of any of the consoles (even PS3).

PS3 has 256MB of system memory. A typical PC today has 4 GIGAbytes of System memory that is much faster, that is 16x the capacity. And it's pretty common to find PCs with 8GB of system memory. 360's PowerPC based CPU is small potatoes compared to Intels beasts and AMD's crazy octo-core processors.

Completely different games ARE made, Battlefield 3 is a whole different beast on PC than on console. PC gets extra physics, DX11 graphics and physics plus extra model detail. I remember back in the day, Turok 2 and Quake 3 were the same games on Console and PC but just with differing levels of detail.

GTA Vice City and San Andreas had the exact same content between PS2 and PC.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
I doubt that he is right, based on how various PC-centic genres went out of mainstream gaming along with PC gaming itself. Turn-based strategies, adventure games, etc, all started to go low-profile at the same time as the system. If only the system itself was failing, than these could have taken refuge at consoles.

Sure, it would have been difficult to invent new controls for them, but they also said that about FPSes, and they still managed to turn into a console genre. Or even just add mouse and keyboard periherals to consoles. Or release a whole console with a PC-like design, but as a protected closed platform. If there would really be an audience of several millions demanding these kind of games, they would have figured it out. But there wasn't.

PC gaming's mainstream status wasn't lost on a technicality, but on a major paradigm shift from games-as-software, to games-as-media. From the desk chair, to the couch. From installing programs, to playing a DVD. From slow, precise, calculating gameplay, to rushing action-based gameplay.

The mainstream audience simply lost interest in the basic gameplay format that the PC represented.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
specifically an undocumented security check that dumped players out of illegal copies of the game. That led to some very negative word-of-mouth about its buggy, unfinished state prior to launch, which turned out to be inaccurate but still hampered sales and contributed to the studio's demise.

Does anyone not spot the irony of this statement? Sure, you can blame it on piracy... Because obviously the people that complained about this pirated it...

But the people that listened to the complaints weren't nessesarily pirates. And... What was the source of the problem? DRM.

So... DRM + Piracy = Reputation for having a buggy game...

Which leads people not to buy your product. Makes me wonder if people really consider everything that contributes to their own downfall, or just the parts that they can blame on others.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Frazier was a designer on marred by pre-release piracy [http://www.amazon.com/Titan-Quest-Gold-Immortal-Throne-Pc/dp/B000WCCURW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328231129&sr=8-1], specifically an undocumented security check that dumped players out of illegal copies of the game. That led to some very negative word-of-mouth about its buggy, unfinished state prior to launch, which turned out to be inaccurate but still hampered sales and contributed to the studio's demise.
I'm going to say something heretical, even to my own past statements: it sounds to me like it was the bad vibe generated by the anti-piracy measure that caused people to not want to buy the game.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Waaghpowa said:
Sober Thal said:
If you are just trying to excuse the fact that the OP had to buy a new setup, and is entitled to free shit, then I guess you are in the camp that if I bought a record 20 years ago, I deserve a new tape, a CD and a Digital copy every time I clean out my room. THAT's the part that pisses me off. Just because you decide to change your setup, doesn't mean you are entitled to free shit.

Just because you buy something once, doesn't give you the right to receive new copies of them every time you break them, lose them, grow out of them, or replace the other things around you.
...are you serious? What you described are different copies, cassettes, CDs etc. He's talking about the SAME COPY OF THE GAME. He needs to reactivate THE SAME GAME HE BOUGHT, every time some hardware changes. He already bought the game, changing the hardware should have no effect on it.

So let's say for example your MP3 player breaks and you get a new one. Should your MP3's play? They should, nothing has changed but the hardware that plays them. By what you're describing, you should have to re-buy a game every time your Xbox breaks and you get a new one.
Again... Just because you buy something once, doesn't give you the right to receive new copies of them every time you break them, lose them, grow out of them, or replace the other things around you.

Same if you loose them, give them away, switch OS, replace the components that had bought the original merchandise to use. ect ect

If my xbox broke, I would still have the disks that I bought that have games on them.

If I dropped my hardrive into a vat of boiling water, batteries, and magnets... yes, I am shit out of luck.
So its perfectly ok for their DRM to intentionally fuck you over install limit wise, when other publishers seem perfectly ok to install DRM that doesn't limit you how many times you play?

The people who play games don't want a new copy every time their pc has a change in hardware (I mean christ, mines had to have two failing parts changed in the last month) They just want the copies they buy to not be intentionally sabotaged by the very company selling the product.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
SurfinTaxt said:
Treblaine said:
SurfinTaxt said:
Pc gaming is on its last breath...

What incentive do developers have to create pc exclusives? None!
Wow, people can really make any baseless statement and get away with it without citing any sources.

http://www.1up.com/news/valve-more-profitable-google-apple-per-employee

Yeah, Valve is that profitable per employee from Steam. For PC gaming.

EA launches Origin, for PC gaming.

EA invests hundreds of millions (half a billion possibly) in The Old Republic. A PC exclusive.

PC has more exclusives than all the other home platforms combined. For both the past year and coming year.

PC hardware is now 10 times more powerful than PS3 or 360, it is easily a whole generation ahead in processing power. PC exclusive development allows their product to stand out amongst all others by its incredible graphical fidelity. It's the future.

PC is home to far more flexible business opportunities able to sell games at a whole continuum of prices, not just $60 or $15. Even Free-to-play is a viable and successful business model on PC.

So, do you still think PC gaming is on it's "last breath"?
I do, lets taalk valve, whens the last time valve made a pc exclusive? Whens the last time PC cabability was pushed to its limit? Crysis maybe? 6 years ago?

How many triple A pc exclusives are there is the important question. Im sure your answer will be different.
I'm pretty sure that BF3 is pushing it to the limit since you need two 580 to play with ultra settings at 1920x1080 at 60fps.

And good luck trying to play bf3 with resolution over 1920x1080 at ultra settings.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
SurfinTaxt said:
Tubez said:
I'm pretty sure that BF3 is pushing it to the limit since you need two 580 to play with ultra settings at 1920x1080 at 60fps.
And yet the visuals dont really stand out, to me anyway. Just because it requires more computing power doesnt mean it has better visuals.
That wasnt the point really. You asked for a game that is pushing the computers to its limit.
And pretty much all modern games are doing that if you are just willing to play at settings higher then 1920x1080.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I see a lot of people saying the same thing about Andy Chalk's opinion on PC gaming's apparent fall from grace and the supposed causes of that.

And of all the things you can say about it, the last things surely is that he shouldn't have said it. Not least for freedom of speech, but also because PC gaming is quite simply NOT in such a vulnerable position that is cannot bear to have a negative word be said against it.

So, I may disagree with the man, but I'll fight to the death his right to say it.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
You know honestly to me, the idea of a PC exclusive is stupid. Any exclusive really, but when it's tied up with the actual company you can't really get away from that. To the point, an exclusive solely for the PC is freaking moronic. I've played RTSs well on consoles, and I swear to anyone who will listen that I could put Total War games on console easy (despite what fans will say, which amounts to, "No, just no." with no real reason).

The PC is a diverse platform. It isn't beholden to one company alone like Microsoft or Sony, so if a developer can freaking do it, they should release it for any, any platform that they possibly can. Why? It's just smart. It gets the product out there. Exposure helps sales.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
SurfinTaxt said:
Tubez said:
SurfinTaxt said:
Tubez said:
And yet the visuals dont really stand out, to me anyway. Just because it requires more computing power doesnt mean it has better visuals.
That wasnt the point really. You asked for a game that is pushing the computers to its limit.
And pretty much all modern games are doing that if you are just willing to play at settings higher then 1920x1080.
Right, well what Im trying to get at is that having 10 times the computational power doesnt exactly equate to "FUCK ME THIS IS THE BEST LOOKING GAME IVE EVER SOON *JIZZZ" if you know what I mean. I was just using it to counter the argument that processing power somehow counteracts the sad state of pc gaming
I can personally say that I see a huge difference between consoles and my pc, and it might be since that I'm playing at 5760x1080 but for you say that consoles = pc is very very wrong, doesn't matter how you frame it and what do you mean that pc gaming is in a sad state?

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Reasons not to pirate a PC game:

1) It rewards developers by paying them.
2) Less chance of malware and other shit being put onto your comnputer.

Reasons TO pirate a PC game:

1) Some PC developers DEFINITELY put malware on your PC.
2) Pirated copies don't need an internet connection to play OFFLINE SINGLE PLAYER games.
3) Pirates don't treat you like a criminal.
4) Pirates don't charge you £40 for a product worth £4.
5) Pirates don't blame their shitty, unpopular products on developers.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
But there are a lot of PC exclusives. Hell, there are entire PC exclusive genres.

And i find it hilarious that developers constantly ***** about piracy, yet the only example they have of a company that went down due to it is from 6 years ago. The gaming industry went unscathed through the entire recession, when other businesses were dropping left and right, and yet they act like they're fucking starving.

Fun fact: the X360 version of Kingdoms of Amalur is already leaked on torrent sites and cracked, the PC version isn't.

Also:

Ayay

Dec 6, 2009
Joining in with a few other in this thread. As soon as i saw Iron Lore
i went AHA. They screwed up 40k and the Original Titan Quest was
horrible ..after a friend bought me the Expansion thou it was fun.
But then it was to late , and thats on them, But hey he can cry about
pirates if he wants it is his right .On the plus side my choice of
waiting to buy Kingdom until it shows up in a steam sale just became
much easier :)

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
SurfinTaxt said:
Treblaine said:
SurfinTaxt said:
Pc gaming is on its last breath...

What incentive do developers have to create pc exclusives? None!
Wow, people can really make any baseless statement and get away with it without citing any sources.

http://www.1up.com/news/valve-more-profitable-google-apple-per-employee

Yeah, Valve is that profitable per employee from Steam. For PC gaming.

EA launches Origin, for PC gaming.

EA invests hundreds of millions (half a billion possibly) in The Old Republic. A PC exclusive.

PC has more exclusives than all the other home platforms combined. For both the past year and coming year.

PC hardware is now 10 times more powerful than PS3 or 360, it is easily a whole generation ahead in processing power. PC exclusive development allows their product to stand out amongst all others by its incredible graphical fidelity. It's the future.

PC is home to far more flexible business opportunities able to sell games at a whole continuum of prices, not just $60 or $15. Even Free-to-play is a viable and successful business model on PC.

So, do you still think PC gaming is on it's "last breath"?
I do, lets taalk valve, whens the last time valve made a pc exclusive? Whens the last time PC cabability was pushed to its limit? Crysis maybe? 6 years ago?

How many triple A pc exclusives are there is the important question. Im sure your answer will be different.
You have to actually ask about Valve's PC exclusive? Dota 2, last month. Also Alien Swarm. Team Fortress 2, not just to move to free-to-play but ALL the extra content being PC exclusive.

Do you have ANY clue what you are talking about? How do you form such breathless opinions about what you clearly know so little about.

PC was last pushed to its limits with Crysis 2 (2011) running the most advanced DX11 rendering and then Battlefield 3 also pushing the limits to the point where console gamers have complained about how much inferior their version is by comparison. Do you have ANY clue about PC gaming??!?!?

And what the hell is a "triple A" exclusive in actual definitive terms? That is 100% subjective. Hawken is a Triple-A exclusive by any standards. How about Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Star Wars The Old Republic? The smallest speculation about these games have gotten headline stories on this site, is that not Triple-A worthy?

And what Triple-A exclusives have we got to look forward to on Xbox 360 by comparison? Halo 4?

Please, terms like "Triple-A" are credit ratings. Not game categories.