Please let Pokemon gracefully exit.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
SpectacularWebHead said:
And what exactly are the new Pokemon games doing to you that make you want to stop them so badly? Does it hurt you every time they make a new one? Do ten year olds come and whack you on the head with a crowbar for every new Pokemon they catch? Are the mountains of cash Nintendo accumulates from their consistently entertaining games and the young audience it keeps excited putting an obnoxious shadow over your front lawn?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I love Pokemon.

However it's a very antisocial Time Sink. Now-a-days, similar Time sinks tend to be MMOs or RPGs played through Steam/xBoxLive/PSOnline/Origin etc.
Ok, it's not antisocial if you have living bleeding friend nearby with a DS and same generation game or you live in a densely populated area where Pokemon is popular.

It's a great vacation game. Eats up time which you'd rather spend playing the game than doing sod all.

If they can make Pokemon be social-able then it might be awesome. At the moment I'm just training my Pokemon and I am thinking why?. I don't breed or EV stuff. Biggest Pokemongeeky thing I did was breed a level 19 Dratini with Dragon Rage so I could 1 shot the 19-10 bracket in the Battle Tower in Crystal.

Give Pokemon MMO.
---
Problem is that each generation they add new monsters. New comers will be daunted. True you don't HAVE to own them all, but it's still annoying for a new player to know of the Pokemon that exist and how annoying it is for them to get them. If you're a dedicated fan, it's easy. I current have an army of Pokemon from 2 generations back (Ruby and Sapphire).

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Plenty of people still look forward to, buy and enjoy the newer Pokemon games, which will include Black and White 2 for sure. Why should they stop making new Pokemon games just because some people aren't happy about it? Its not like they are recalling all the copies of older Pokemon games and overwriting them with the new ones, the old ones are still there for you to play, stop getting offended over nothing. If you don't like the new Pokemon games, don't play them, no one is forcing you to. Many people will play and enjoy the new ones, regardless of how important you think your opinion is. What is so bad about sticking to the same formula anyway? "If it isn't broken don't fix it" The formula works extremely well and is highly successful and they are still implementing a lot of new content with each game, even if the overall structure is largely the same.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
wintercoat said:
I think captcha was telling OP to face the music. Simmer down there Revnak. Put the doomsday button down. We're all friends here.
But we love the buttons!!!

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Now, normally I hate the "X should just die" type of arguments

Sometimes, however, there is a good one that manages to make a point

This is not one of those.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Revnak said:
wintercoat said:
I think captcha was telling OP to face the music. Simmer down there Revnak. Put the doomsday button down. We're all friends here.
No! That's a bad Revnak! No more cookies for you! D:<

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
So your upset that a company is continue to use its IP? You do realize they own it and have the right to do whatever they want with it? Interestingly enough, Did you consider its cultural significance elsewhere and how its viewed in its native Japan? Did you consider how other people see it, if they like it?

This strikes me as the unending nerd rage that Star Wars has gained where someone decides to use and IP and the fans cry 'betrayed' and go into unending tantrums. I never understood it beyond possibly that some people aren't able to differentiate between different parts of something they like and internally its all grouped into the same thing rather then being packed in separate but connected boxed, metaphorically, or that some people have very small/sad lives and the thing they love takes up a huge portion of their life despite its being rather insignificant/a part of their past. Those situations can't possibly cover all the irate fans though so I really don't know where all this rage comes from. Personally, I liked the series but stop caring long ago. I can be nostalgic for the early stuff but I'm not going to decry it for changing over time or continuing. Nintendo owns it and will do what they like with it. The games sell well which means people must like them. I don't see a problem with any of that.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Wow that whole rant seemed needless. Sure I haven't played a pokemon game since Sapphire, and I don't really plan on, but what exactly is this doing to hurt you?

I'll tell you the same thing I tell silly World of Warcraft drama leavers:

If you can't take your nostalgia taking a direction you don't like, LEAVE IT ALONE and stop being bitter and find something new to like.

Pokemon is not physically assaulting you or affecting your life in anyway.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
I don't know if my opinion is relevant because I didnt buy B&W the last one I beat was Platinum and the last one I bought was HG. But heres my $0.02 anyway.

Pokemon is a great series with good gameplay, a great universe, and overall, a mediocre story. There's really not much room for improvement to the gameplay unless you start changing core mechanics. I mean they're not going to go up to 4 poke battles are they? The gameplay is solid and that's what fans keep coming back for. Leave it how it is, add some moves and items... that's the extent to which I believe things should change.

The universe is where Nintendo changes things up. With each iteration we have (mostly) interesting new pokemon, new characters, and a whole new region. And although I didn't like what what I saw of BW's pokemon, you cannot say all of them were bad (Oshawatt comes to mind) SO when these gamers come back for the core experience they've been enjoying for 15 years, they get a slew of new pokemon and other goodies that make them say: Wow, this is the game I've loved all over again but even better. But BW2 is doing that you say? But Nintendo is trying something new...

Now there's story. BW2 could easily be the best pokemon game ever. WHY? Because Nintendo is trying to change their boring old kid beats the bad guys story into something more. That's a deeper change than anything so far in the games (Aside from double battles I guess) You can't say Nintendos not trying anymore if there trying to make Pokemon's weakest link better.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
I won't say it's always sucked, but it has been sucking, at least since it's last iteration, if not a little before. They have run out of creative juices, and it's so clear now that even the mad fanboys are having to admit it.

I don't think now it's a question of it exiting gracefully, that option went long ago. I think it's more now just stop dragging it through the mud.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
wintercoat said:
Revnak said:
wintercoat said:
No! That's a bad Revnak! No more cookies for you! D:<
OH GOD!

BEIBS!

QUICK, GET SOME HORNETS TO STING MY EYES OUT!

Nov 18, 2009
SpectacularWebHead said:
My opinion on the designs is largely fact...
This is where your argument went from okay at best to... not very convincing. Opinion is not fact, that is what makes it opinion...

OT: I have a sort of love-hate relationship with the pokemon games these days, I tend to prefer pokemon that have already been released to ones in the newer games, however I will concede that the mechanics have steadily gotten better over the years. I liked Black when I played it. Do I wish I could have loaded other pokemon in to play it? Most definitely, but I can't deny that the games are good. I'm really waiting for a new Colosseum or Gale of Darkness to appear, because those games really mixed up the game play and story, even if they were short and flawed in a couple areas. I don't plan on getting black 2 or white 2, but when the time comes I have no idea if I will actually follow that plan or not...

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Yes!

Everything was better back in the day! Back then we had proper Pokeymans. Like the Bulbawhatsits and the Squirty Turtle.

Nowadays the younguns' run around with flaming pigs, and that fruity grass thing.
Lightbulbsaur would give that skinny, girly little thing a great big whoppin' I tells ya'!

Kyle Tracz

May 10, 2011
Personally I think they should take the time and effort of 3-4 years to make a pokemon game that has tons of creativity to it and make it that you can actually catch them all

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Pokemon Black and White were fantastic and the franchise has maintained a high standard of quality throughout, we are really only on our fifth installment if you take out remakes and spin-offs, which going by the standards set by other JRPG series such as Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy show that this series isn't even close to getting stale, 5 games for a JRPG is not that much, heck Final Fantasy wasn't even out of its infancy really by the time FFV came around.

Pokemon is not going away anytime soon and the games are getting better (although G/S/C crystal will always be my favourite) by tackling balancing issues and finally adding an interesting story. It's always funny how the people who grew up with Gen 1 dismiss the new games.

My order of personal preference:

Gen 2 > Gen 3 > Gen 5 > Gen 1 > Gen 4

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
SpectacularWebHead said:
The least creative pokemon game with the worst designed pokemon and least innovation gets direct sequalage.
Red/Blue/Green/Yellow = Team Rocket = Typical World Domination
Gold/Silver/Crystal = Team Rocket = Typical World Domination Goals
Ruby/Saphire/Emerald = Team Aqua/Magma = Create more water/land for Pokemon to live
Diamond/Pearl/Platinum = Team Galactic = Create a new world by destroying the current one.
Black/White = Team Plasma = N who wants to free all pokemon from human servitude. Ghetsis who wants to rule the world and control all pokemon in the Unova region.

The main Antagonists have actually gotten better throughout the series and with it the story line.

Almost none of the Pokemon in any region is really original.
I do agree with you that Johto was the best region so far. But I would also like for you to go look at a map of NYC and of the Unova Region. As for pokemon like the garbage one or Vanillite May I point out Grimer and Jynx?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
People still enjoy the games. That's as good a reason as any to keep making them. I'm sorry if their existence offends you.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I must disagree.

Pokémon Black 2/White 2 are more than just rehashes like Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, etc. were. They've got entirely new stories and improvements to the region. There're new player characters, an expanded regional Pokédex, a new starting town, and even a few new gym leaders.

I know what you're thinking: "Story? In a Pokémon game? You must be off your nut!" I think that it's a great idea. Story has always been the weakest link in a Pokémon game, and the developers decided to improve upon it. This has led to some mixed results, however: the game is a bit slower in the beginning and it's a lot more linear. However, the story aspect is improving quite a bit.

As for the designs, every generation had some good ones and some dumb ones. Generation 1 had the awesomeness that is Charizard and the it's-just-three-of-the-first-form-ness Magneton. Gen 2 had Umbreon (awesome), but also Ledyba (dumb). Gen 3 had Absol (cool), but also Volbeat (not cool). Gen 4 had Empoleon (yay), but also Budew (nay). Gen 5 had Galvantula, one of my favourite Pokémon, but it had Alomomola, one of my least favourite.

Gen 5 brought a lot to the table. From streamlined interface to quickened battle pace, from monthly seasonal changes which add to the time mechanics to giving Pokémon interesting new moves and abilities to play with. It's better than it ever was. The only thing that I disliked in 5th Gen was the linearity. I, for one, am extremely excited for B2/W2.