Please let Pokemon gracefully exit.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
Wow. I thought you had to insult ponies or start a conversation on games and feminism to get people to lose their minds on the internet. Turns out all you have to do is be unimpressed by the Pokemans.

I don't think what the OP is saying is that out of line. I have no opinion on which generation is better or worse because nostalgia makes it impossible for me to see realistically. But I do know that each new game only seems to fix one or two issues, which should have been fixed a long time ago. Thank God there's a special/physical attack split, but why did that take so long? Why did online battling without friends codes take so long? I haven't felt good about beating the Elite Four since I was 8, can we try something else? I'd be willing to play as Team Rocket at this point just to get some variety in the game.

Sure, mechanics get tighter, new moves and abilities make the metagame better. It's still almost the EXACT. SAME. GAME. Every year! Nintendo can keep its little money generator running, but I KNOW they have the funds and creativity to come up with something better.

I'd be willing to play a game where I'm on a Pokemon ranch or something, where I just focus on breeding Pokemon for good stats so I can battle them online. I don't even need the samey "exploration" of the main quest. And yeah, I could just go play Shoddy Battle or something, but that's missing the point, since it took fans of the game to port its mechanics to something playable if you're over 10.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
SpectacularWebHead said:
TheKasp said:
Oh boy, someone who thinks his opinion about the design of the new Pokes is a fact...
Isn't that exactly what you're doing by implying that I'm wrong?
You clearly misunderstand the concept of "popular opinion".

Enough people were of the opinion that black and white was worth their 40$, despite (or because of?) the new pokemon being readily viewable on the internet long before its release to warrant a new game starring the same pokemon. I don't doubt for a second that there will be more new pokemon in the next major release. This is an interesting experiment nonetheless. Never has there been a direct sequel within one generation.

I loved 5th gen. Bisharp and volcarona are among my favorite pokemon ever. Deal with it.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Innegativeion said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
TheKasp said:
Oh boy, someone who thinks his opinion about the design of the new Pokes is a fact...
Isn't that exactly what you're doing by implying that I'm wrong?
You clearly misunderstand the concept of "popular opinion".

Enough people were of the opinion that black and white was worth their 40$, despite (or because of?) the new pokemon being readily viewable on the internet long before its release to warrant a new game starring the same pokemon. I don't doubt for a second that there will be more new pokemon in the next major release. This is an interesting experiment nonetheless. Never has there been a direct sequel within one generation.

I loved 5th gen. Bisharp and volcarona are among my favorite pokemon ever. Deal with it.
Don't you mean...

EH!? EH!? YEAH!?

OT: I don't see how people can say that this franchise is dying. Have you tried breeding? Have you attempted contests or online battles or Battle Subway? Have you even thought about removing those rose-tinted glasses and seeing what the franchise actually has become?

I'm sorry, but Pokémon still stands, in my eyes, as having one of the best metagames of all time. It's only getting better as time goes on.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Gxas said:
Battle Subway?
Gaaaaah! You've just reminded me that I've got to rack up some battle points this summer to buy TM Swagger for Tempest (Manaphy ^_^) so I can heart-swap troll the endgame content in B&W 2.

Lukirre

Feb 24, 2009
SpectacularWebHead said:
So Black and white 2 is/are coming out soon. Oh joy. The least creative pokemon game with the worst designed pokemon and least innovation gets direct sequalage.

It is not the least creative Pokemon game in the series, and its Pokemon are not better or worse than any other generation. I get that you personally don't care for them. I hate Vanillite/Vanniluxe/other thing and Trubbish/Garbodor. But I don't look at the game and say "Wow hey that's like every pokemon they must all suck."

SpectacularWebHead said:
In an effort to not completly ruin what was a massive part of my childhood, I've been replaying the decent pokemon games in an effort to remind me that what was once good cannot be tainted by it's future sucking the hole at the bottom of the barrel to get some of the magic back.
You must give little value to your childhood experiences. It's interesting that you would discount them entirely.

SpectacularWebHead said:
As I "Upgraded" to the 3ds, I've been playing a lot of soulsilver...
"Guys, black and white 2 will be hellspawn because I am tired of Nintendo not innovating! They are totally milking cash cows and I hate it! By the way I totally love the Gold/Silver remake!"

SpectacularWebHead said:
I used to love pokemon. I would defend it to the death. Pokemon was a major part of my childhood, something I will be showing to my kids if and when I have them...
Good!

SpectacularWebHead said:
Pokemon is, essentially, always the same game. Which is fine, because it's a good game, and the plot isn't overly complex etc. It's simple fun, and the greatest thing about it,
So then why did you even bother to comment on Black/White's purported lack of innovation?

SpectacularWebHead said:
The pokemon largely suck and there aren't going to be many new ones.
Uhhhh...the pokemon in B/W are as different from previous generations as G/S/C was to R/B/Y; R/S/E to G/S/C, etc..

SpectacularWebHead said:
Heres the thing: Kanto was great, Johto was perfect, Hoenn... Good pokemon, didn't like the layout of the region, Sinnoh was pretty good all round, Unova... Crap pokemon, Okay layout, Crap pokemon.
Nope. I had a lot of fun in Unova. Since my opinion is no more or less valid than yours, it immediately cancels out your claim. So, sorry about that.

SpectacularWebHead said:
What I'm really saying is, Pokemon is not very far over the "Can't even remember what I saw in it" point yet.
That's a problem with you personally, not the series.

SpectacularWebHead said:
Remember the great times we had, the first pokemon we caught, the first pokemon we evolved, everything great that we did on our grand adventure in the world of pokemon. Share the adventure with our sons and daughters, let them carry on as we did, and always remember how great it was.
Or you could just introduce it to them and let them choose their favourites.

SpectacularWebHead said:
And If nintendo still wants to milk the cash cow, they can remake until there balls drop off.
No New games, we know you guys have run out of variants on every animal name ever.
I'd like to re-iterate that you bought SoulSilver when you could have most likely gone back and re-played your old copy of Silver.

I'd like to state that Pokemon Silver was my most beloved game in the series and the only game that I've completed the Pokedex in. Twice.

I'm sure I'll come off as a Game Freak fanboy or whatever, but it was just a lot of fun to pick apart this post. Much wrong with the logic.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Smeggs said:
I think you have the wrong guy snip.
Dude, you have the wrong guy, I was in support of more pokemon. I want Black and White 2 and I look forward to them doing more pokemon.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Terminate421 said:
SpectacularWebHead said:
snip and I am fucking angry.

Exhibit A:

Here we have a game that is fucking awesome that no-one seems to notice that does in fact DO SOMETHING NEW WITH POKEMON. It also takes advantage of the newer pokemon that are out as well. Providing with a new game altogether.
You know you're right, I have seen maybe 2 people say anything about this game since it came out, and I have no idea why. It's a fantastic spin off that deserves some acknowledgement. I have 70 hours in that game and still have more to go.

OT: Black and White are one of my favorite versions of the series, they actually tried to give the bad guys more of a plot (in that it doesn't end halfway through the game) and I feel the same about the designs as any other of the games, some I hate, some I love, and some I'm "meh" about

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
SpectacularWebHead said:
So Black and white 2 is/are coming out soon. Oh joy. The least creative pokemon game with the worst designed pokemon and least innovation gets direct sequalage.

I'm willing to say some of the designs were bad, mostly the final evolution of various things. Though that's subjective they did seem to miss the "feel" of previous generations.

But...least innovation? Really...

Did we even play the same game? I'm not even a huge fan anymore and this seemed like the biggest leap forward that they've ever had.

Considering Pokemon is larger than Mario and (as far as I know) the largest video game franchise in the world...I don't see where the graceful exit need be.

I recently went on vacation and played Pokemon Black while on vacation, it was some quite a lot of fun to me. I just didn't dig some evolutions, but can't win em all.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Bhaalspawn said:
It's important to realize something. POKEMON IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN FOR KIDS.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.267885-Game-Freak-Pokemon-Isnt-Just-for-Kids?page=1

Please read this, then come back here and try to argue with that.

Nintendo knows that there are in fact older audiences, it doesn't heavily focus on them but I think given the direction of focusing on story is probably a sign that they do care and give an ear out. That and making the main trainers at the age of 15 instead of 10. Also:

Putting Red in Pokemon Black and White 2

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
The series hasn't shaken me off of it yet although if the art design continues along the path its headed I may stop after this next game. This is coming from a hardcore fan who liked everything until Gen IV just fine. Also I'm not picking up the 3DS but I think they're releasing it for both the 3DS and the DS so I won't be screwed for this next one. Black and White wasn't that bad but they weren't as good for me as say the Gen III games were.

But I don't see Pokemon dying a dignified death. I see foresee gen 7 finally crumbling and dying.

I'll always have my older games.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Bhaalspawn said:
Find me a child under 10 who has a firm grasp on EVs, IVs, breeding, and the metagame. Please.

Fine me one who understands why the Physical/Special split was so important. Please.

Don't say that they don't change things for previous fans of the series. You're incredibly wrong in that statement.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Terminate421 said:
What, REALLY??

Le gasp!

Always loved the internet's portrayal of the baseball cap'd protagonist by leaps and bound more than his... less admired anime portrayal, which is really a separate entity at this point.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Black 2 and White 2 are not the same game, nor are they like Crystal/Emerald/Platinum. They are a direct sequel to the Black and White where you play as a new trainer some time after the events of Black and White. So the story is brand new, not just a updated version like the other 3rd games. I do not now the details of the story (beyond it involving N, Team Plasma and Kyurem) so I cannot comment on how different it will be.

Anyway, you are not the target audience of Pokemon games any more. You've grown up, you've matured and your tastes have changed. You cannot expect the franchise to keep up with you. Nintendo is interested in the new kids, those who've never been introduced to Pokemon before. Sure they make new abilities, moves and items to mix up the competitive scene, but Pokemon has and always will be a game with children in mind.

I do not want to deny kids from discovering Pokemon like I did. And the truth is that it is unlikely for them to find a Gameboy and copy of Red or Blue. So I'm glad that Nintendo keep putting out new games. And the fact that there is little deviation means that they are having the same experience I had 15 years ago.

And the sales data and review scores are not irrelevant. They show that you are in the minority and that nearly everyone eels loves and enjoys the newest Pokemon games.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Bhaalspawn said:
Gxas said:
Bhaalspawn said:
Find me a child under 10 who has a firm grasp on EVs, IVs, breeding, and the metagame. Please.

Fine me one who understands why the Physical/Special split was so important. Please.

Don't say that they don't change things for previous fans of the series. You're incredibly wrong in that statement.
I'm 20 and I don't even understand what EV's and IV's are. Mostly because playing Pokemon is not something I do for hours on end, because there are a billion things in life more important than gaming.

The Physical/Special split is important in minute ways that seem important only to hardcore fans. The same way that +3 crit in WoW isn't important, but to an obsessive raider, it's like liquid gold.

Read the rest of my post and you'll catch my meaning. Don't cherry-pick my first sentence and try to talk big.
Actually the split is relatively important to the game. You would care to know why your Tyranitar is failing badly because it's using surf (which is a special move) instead of Earthquake (A physical one). Regardless of its use on say....a fire type.

RPG's tend to give a quick breakdown on stats, pokemon is no exception. The idea of Pokemon is easy accessability, but mastery is truly difficult.

This isn't even a jump reaction "trying to talk big" and such, more or less giving something that is easy to understand that most people have picked up on about the series.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
AnAutisticDog said:
War Greymon was my favorite Pokemon.
Fuck you man, Odin all the way. Way better pokemon.

Thunder Reign is incredibly OP as hell, especially against stun-able bosses like the reaper.

Even Thanatos is a better pokemon for xp farming than war greymon, especially if you have him inherit Die for me! and mudo boost.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Innegativeion said:
Terminate421 said:
What, REALLY??

Le gasp!

Always loved the internet's portrayal of the baseball cap'd protagonist by leaps and bound more than his... less admired anime portrayal, which is really a separate entity at this point.
Last I checked the majority of fanworks over that guy tended to come from adults who were before before 1994.

Who's side are you on in this whole shtick by the way?