Please, Recommend Some Metal!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
TheSolemnHypnotic said:
I feel like I need more metal in my life. Could you please recommend some.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron

Very recommended, and stay away from Mercury. (Ain't I a stinker?)

-Nothing "Satanic" as in praising Satan...'cause he sucks.
What precisely is wrong with Satan? As I know several Satanists and they are the nicest people I know, they do not promote "evil", they promote choice, free-will and questioning authority. As to the whole killing and torturing people for petty reasons I do believe it is 's god who does that, not Satan. You know, the whole Great Flood and nuking Sodom and Gomorrah. My Christian grandmother is so mean spirited with her religious justifications.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/good-guy-lucifer

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Gxas said:
I mean, I saw it on their Wikipedia page, but I still want to believe it so much.

Think Nightfall but following the entire LotR trilogy in one huge compilation.

Go ahead, change your pants, it's alright. :p
Maybe we'll get to see what we would have had in the LOTR trilogy OST if they had jumped aboard instead of messing with their albums. The current OST is completely awesome, but adding The Bards to the mix makes anything much more awesome. So yes, I'll get that new pair of pants n decide this is true and will happen.

And there seems to be a disturbing lack of power metal in this thread, makes me sad.

silverpimp

Oct 16, 2011
Dude, check out some Scorpions from their first couple of albums, where Uli Jon Roth still played guitar for 'em. It's probably more retro than you're used to, but it's pretty bad ass.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Iron Maiden, classic Heavy Metal, it has both balls to the wall and melodies.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Formless Creation, not exactly sure what the kind of metal is but it's not a big/label band.

Vision of Disorder my favorite band of all time.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Can't go wrong with some Five Finger Death Punch.

Or Demon Hunter, one of my favorites.

And if you want something with a woman singer that's not all about sex or exes, there's old school Evanesence.

Un34rth

Mar 18, 2010
Plenty of awesome recommendations here so far. I have a TON: (repeats for emphasis)

Opeth, Katatonia (especially Discouraged Ones and later), Amorphis, Amon Amarth, Ayreon, Gojira, Arcturus (The Sham Mirrors), Borknagar, Born Of Osiris, Dark Tranquillity, Darkest Hour, Daylight Dies, Fields of the Nephilim (not necessarily metal but very good), Hypocrisy, Kamelot, Lake of Tears (Forever Autumn), Meshuggah, My Dying Bride (amazing band, check out A Line of Deathless Kings), November's Doom, Novembre, Swallow the Sun (another amazing band, highly recommended for Hope and The Morning Never Came), Symphony X (Russell Allen!), Tesseract (One), Therion (another of my highly recommended, if you don't like Gothic Kabbalah you are insane), Textures, Tool (again not really metal, more prog rock but amazing), assorted Trivium, Veil of Maya for hardcore, Witchery (Opeth's drummer), While Heaven Wept (Vast Oceans Lachrymose), Unearth for metalcore (Darkness in the Light is awesome).

Female vocalists and/or blended:

After Forever, Amaranthe (Elize mmmm), Epica, Nightwish (Century Child), Tristania (Illumination).

Long block of text but hopefully it helps get some of the lesser known good bands (IMO anyway) out there recognized. Hoping to pick up some good ones here as well. Always looking for good tunes.

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
Tool, Tool is amazing and really im shocked nobody has posted them.

Also, IRISH METAL

theguitarhero6

Nov 21, 2009
OH! How could I forget!??!
Municipal Waste is my second favorite band right now!
They're top-tier as far as Crossover/Thrash revival goes.
Definitley give 'em a go.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Smeggs said:
SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Su1YXQYek
WHEN YOU SEE THE WHITE WHALE!

Also apparently I'm retarded, because no matter how much I look at how to do it in quotes I cannot get the Youtube embedding to work.
You do it in brackets, not quotes. The [ and ].

thatonedude11

Mar 6, 2011
DJDarque said:
I'll toss out some Ayreon, In Flames, Sybreed, and a seconded for Agalloch.
I second the recommendations for Ayreon and Sybreed (one of my favorite bands). Some of my personal recommendations are Mercenary, Mors Principium Est, and The Project Hate MCMXCIX (these guys are VERY satanic, but freakin awsome).

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
My favorite band of all time, the Japanese nu metal band Maximum the Hormone

<youtube=_phUgXc9NoY>

<youtube=jVbN29LIQzE>

http://www.myspace.com/maximumthehormone/music/songs/tsume-tsume-tsume-28170792

Awesomeness