Please type your accent phonetically

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I can't really say if I speak with an accent. I mean, yeah, sometimes I sound a bit southern (thanks for that redneck parents), but outside of that, I can't tell if I'm saying things weird.

However, I was told by an Irishman that New Yorkers pronounce 'New York' different from everyone else, so I guess there's that (I don't really recall how we allegedly say it different though).

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Honestly, I am unsure.

I assume I have a regular, American accent. But people have been questioning me since middle about whether I have one or not because apparently I sound as if I do.

Which is totally news to me.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
Mine's a weird mish-mash of rural New England and urban New York, to the point where I'm frequently asked where I'm from when I'm in either area. The accent varies a lot though, from kinda generic American in "professional" settings to really thick when I'm drunk, excited, or angry. Outside profession "enunciate everything clearly" speech, I speak really quickly and chain words together into single units, but that's pretty common among most people I know.

"I fuggin luvyuhman." (The 'uh' is almost dropped entirely.)

"Izlikely dis woanwurgowt."

"Ee it me up and I texid'im back. Itain'ta prahbm, I gotchu."

soren7550 said:
I can't really say if I speak with an accent. I mean, yeah, sometimes I sound a bit southern (thanks for that redneck parents), but outside of that, I can't tell if I'm saying things weird.

However, I was told by an Irishman that New Yorkers pronounce 'New York' different from everyone else, so I guess there's that (I don't really recall how we allegedly say it different though).
Might be referring to saying it more like Nuhyork with the K almost silent, something I do and notice a lot of others do too. Prolly because we say it so often that we truncate it. Like I say New York like that but say New Hampshire as two distinct words and pronounce the H, while I know people from there who say it more like N'amshire.

Edit: Because it's actually kinda fun to write in an accent...

Mineza weir mish-mishuh rural Newinglun anurban N'yor, tuhduhpoin where I'm frequenly assed where I'm from when I'mineiderarea. D'accent vary a lot dough, from kinuh generic American in "puhfessional" settins t'really thick whenI'mdrunk, exicted, uhangry.

irishmanwithagun

Mar 6, 2012
My accent is pretty muc ha poor man's Enlish RP. I tend to jazz up my boring voice by occasionally slipping into whatever accent suits my fancy for maybe a word or two. Usually South African, Scottish or Irish.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I have an accent that ranges and changes constantly, all the fuck over the place, I've lived arround, or spoken to so many different people with so many vocal mannerisms over the course of my life that I've kinda picked a ton of different bits up...

I'm not entirely sure how to make this work in text, but I'll try.

"I would like to buy some tea please"

Cudai get sum tee brah?

"Want to see my engine?"

Lookah dis beast eh?

"I would prefer it if you wouldn't call me that"

Back ittup brah, talk shit to somun else eh?

"Maybe we should try another day"

Kinda busy t'day, maybee t'morrah

"Cheers!"

Fuck I'm drunk, 'Nother round eh!

"Look how dirty my hands are!"

Look'et me grubbins(NOBODY else I know uses this term but me, I do it for kicks mainly), need a wash eh?

"Excuse me, I need to use the washroom"

Fuck, gotta piss lika racehorse, back'n a sec. / Fuckit dams burstin bee arr bee. / Cansacallin backinasec(spoken really fast)

Now, Even writing it down in text, I have to remind you that I have more than a few variances to EACH AND EVERY ONE of these, and my actual accent changes slightly depending on where I am and who I'm talking to, sometimes people join conversations where I've been talking to people from somewhere, and think I'm a native, when actually I'm just visiting and in fact from Canada, and then I have to force myself to speak differently to show it, heh...

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Able Seacat said:
Well at least you would be able to play the intelligent villain in a film. Who's going to be frightened of; 'I'm gonna get you boyo!'.
S'like Darth Vader (David Prowse was from the West-Country and did all the lines on set before being overdubbed by James Earl Jones).

Bill Bailey - Oho... the fawce is strawng in this'un!

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Seagoon said:
Well, here goes..

I fucking love you man.

It's likely this won't work out.

Bloody fucking Jesus Bollocks. (My personal choice of profanity)

Hmm..

I've always said that the English accent (when used correctly) is simply the words said exactly as they are written. Of course there are variants (Northern, Cockney) that don't adhere to the normal rules of pronunciation but I've always had one of those voices which is more or less neutral on the accent front.. If anyone who's heard my voice on here feels the need to correct me, go ahead!

x
I feel the same way as you. I was born and bred in South West London and as such have a pretty stereotypical middle class English accent. It was something I was picked on for when I was a kid, but gives me benefits now, for example in a job interview the interviewer was very surprised when he discovered I wasn't from private school education, plus Americans seem to like it when I go abroad to the U.S.

In other words, I would say "Bluddy fucking Jesus Bollucks" whilst articulating every consonant and vowel.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
mmmmpphhhh mphhmm phmm mmphh mmmhhh

mmmedcmmphhm
-The Pyro from TF2

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
I'm from Scotland but I'm a lowlander so my accent isn't completely unintelligible.

I fucking love you man.
I fuckin love yi man. Yi pronounced like the start of Yinsen (the guy from Iron Man, first thing that came to mind).

It is likely this will not work out.
It's likely this'll no work oot.

One saying of your choice to show your accent in all its glory.
I don't know.
Ah deh ken. Deh pronounced like the beginning of debt.

andrat

Jan 14, 2009
I'm Canadian, so stereotypically (is that a word?) I would say "it's about fucking time" like "eh it's aboot fuckin time there".

Realistically I don't think I have much of an accent and wouldn't know how to explain if I did. Also I don't speak French

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
EscapeGoat said:
I have my natural accent (Brummie), my affected one I get when I visit my family in Durham (Geordie - and really, it just sets in after about a day there) and my regular RP-esque one that has come about from my accent being tempered by a life away from my homes and living with a variety of people with normal voices.

Anyway, my natural and sometimes worringly strong Brummie sounds like this:

Oi fucken luv yaow mate

S'not gunna work aout mate

Y'orrright, our kid? (yeah, roll those 'r's)

Yeah, there's a reason people here in Britain rate silence as sounding more attractive and more intelligent than a strong Birmingham accent.
Be proud of your brummie accent! It is a fine accent full of warmth and sincerity!

Also you aren't a yam yam so you've got that going for you.

I do, however take issue with the number of people talking about having an "RP" accent. I will now demonstrate what that would actually mean:

Aye fucking lev yoo

Aye do not beeelieve that this weeel worc out

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Speaking in my urban Victorian Australian accent I'll give it a shot:

I fucken luv ya mate
Sounds a bit rural instead of urban there, don't you think?

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
Slough. The town I was born in.

Ai faaaaakin' laaav yaah maayt.

Naaah maayt, naaaaaaaaaaaah maayt- daaaa's bohllaaaaks.
(That's an extremely daft idea, it doesn't seem well thought out at all, and I can't comprehend how it could possibly work out.)

And finally, because, well, Slough;

Aii's gannah brrrAEk yaah fais.
(I'm gonna break your face)

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Well, let's give this a shot. Should be interesting....

I fckin lov you man.

I don'd dfink dis is going d'ah work out.

As one might've guessed, as a Dutchman I still struggle with only moderately softening my "th", and will either overshoot to a df, or take out the "h" altogether.

Oh, and that's before my habit of unconsciously imitating speech patterns I find interesting.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
My parents were always sticklers for pronunciation, so I pretty much say every word as it's written. I speak like a fast-talking, deeper-voiced Stephen Fry.

That said, apparently I'm completely incapable of saying "Hello there" without it sounding like I'm trying to seduce someone.

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
My accent is made up primarily of reasonably BBC English with a West Country emphasis, however it also has a tendency to slip randomly into Irish. So yeah, it's really a depends on the day kind of thing and I sadly cannot think of a way to represent it phonetically.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
For the most part, I don't have a thick accent of any kind, but with certain words you can hear New York right out.

I fucking love you man.
I fuckin' love ya man. (Yeah, nothing special here)

It's likely this won't work out.
It's likely this won't work out. (Again, nothing special here)

You up for a cup of coffee? That's OK, you can have water instead.
You up for a cup of caaw-fee? That's OK, you can have waat-ah instead. (There we go!)

not_the_dm

Aug 5, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
Speaking to a non-Yorkshire person is usually hilarious.

"A fuckin' love ya man."

"Tis likely this will not work art."

And my own, any of these words get people who live away from me confused.

"Yalways want owt for nowt you. 'Ey up, stop faffing! you gotta do summert t' earn your money for yer flat caps an' Yorkshire puds. Ya gonna get brayed by your gaffer if you're not careful!"
Aye, ah ken tha' kid. One'at just baht allus gets 'em is "'Ey up sirri, ars tha bahn?"

Aynwy, "Ah fuckin luv thi', chuck" ahn "Is lahkly this'ull nah work art."

Ah shud probly noht tha' ahm nah allus this bad, thihs jus' summat baht Kents tha maks't' accent wuss.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
My accent is absolutely terrible. Mainly British, but it slips into Australian often and I roll my r's at times.

"I fucking lav ya, man."

"It is loikely this will not werk out."

One that showcases my many fallibilities:

"Th'werld's on fayah, moi deah, go rraise some hell."