Please welcome your newest moderator, Lilani!

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Shanicus said:
See, I would suggest Guppy, but I'm pretty sure him becoming a mod would result in several deaths from sodium poisoning. And while that's an impressive feat, I feel it'd probably mar his rep. 'Oh hey, it's that mod who killed those three guys just becoming a moderator.'

Granted it'd make threats of dropping the hammer pretty potent... hmmm...
I would pay actual American currency to see Guppy as mod. Like, tens of dollars. At least the amount of a new AAA game on Steam.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Seriously? People are using this thread to preemptively attack the new mod and to go after her for perceived injustices of the mod team from before she was made a mod as well?

Hell. The resentment still present on these forums over this garbage is alive and kicking, eh? I'm a bit surprised and concerned about that: From my point of view, it had seemed largely resolved, but apparently that opinion isn't shared by all.

Skatologist said:
This is beyond true. She didn't even need to say that she wasn't unbiased towards certain aspects to get shit on, I'd imagine she'd have gotten this kind of treatment regardless. Fingers crossed this thread isn't linked elsewhere online?
To be a wee bit fair, in PR you're not supposed to ever say what you aren't or what you're not doing, because it leaves people with the mental image of you being or doing it. Richard "I'm not a crook" Nixon or Christine "I'm not a witch" O'Donnell are good examples of that. That said, I doubt phrasing her responses any differently would've had much influence on the prevailing sentiment among some of the posters in this thread.

---

Oh, well. To help counteract the undue hostility in this threat, here's a cute yet unspeakable horror trying to give you a high-five, Lilani!

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
An excellent choice for a moderator. I couldn't think of anyone more suited to the task.

EDIT: Just had a read through this thread. People are condemning Lilani before she's even moderated anything? What the shit? Jesus Christ, people.

Actually, you know, condemning someone based solely on their opinions and personal ideologies is something that those gosh darn "SJWs" would do.

Oh the irony.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
The Lunatic said:
Given your predecessor made similar claims, and after what happened with him, I'm a bit concerned.
Davroth said:
Made that mistake too in the past, the results were messy, and considering her predecessor... oh well. Things will run their course, I guess.
the silence said:
As long as you don't pull the shit Topaz did (seriously, not cool)
Wait, I feel like I've missed something here. Spill?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Drathnoxis said:
Are the low content rules even being enforced again? Last I heard the mods were told not to enforce those rules.

TopazFusion said:
Indeed, there are actually parts of the Code of Conduct that aren't even enforced anymore. Case in point:
In order to participate in conversation one should present an explanation of the reasoning that informs your opinion. "I like pie" isn't an argument. The fact that you like pie is well and good, but why do you like that pie? This explanation offers others an opportunity to respond to your opinion and avoids forum spam.
This specific part of the CoC (under 'low content') is no longer being enforced.

Posting an on-topic answer to a thread, without "presenting an explanation of the reasoning that informs your opinion", is not something we punish anymore. This is an official directive from the site management, not something the moderators have decided on. (However, please be aware that the rest of the low content rule still applies. So no posting "LOL", "+1" just-an-image, just-a-video, etc, or anything like that.)

This means, for instance, in a thread asking "What was your GOTY?", you can now answer with just the name of the game without needing to "present an explanation of the reasoning that informs your opinion".
Yeah but, given that user is no longer a moderator, I'd rather hear this from someone who IS a moderator, or from a member of staff.

Any @mods: want to offer any input on this? Any truth to this quote, or is it just a load of hot air?

Skatologist

Choke On Your Nazi Cookies
Jan 25, 2014
IceForce said:
The Lunatic said:
Given your predecessor made similar claims, and after what happened with him, I'm a bit concerned.
Davroth said:
Made that mistake too in the past, the results were messy, and considering her predecessor... oh well. Things will run their course, I guess.
the silence said:
They're talking about Topazfusion, who hasn't come back or really commented on this site since he's been demodded and well...you already know which usergroup got deleted.

EDIT: Added explanation, within that UG, he did indeed say what the GG usergroup was saying if it was relevant to a thread/other users within said group, but at no time said who these posts were from. There may be other stuff that might have people angry with Topaz, but that was largely it. Being in that UG with him since October, I can probably tell which threads he's locked and which posts he's modded pretty accurately.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
Elfgore said:
Aerosteam said:
Elfgore said:
R.K. Meades said:
Elfgore said:
@Skatologist: A quick Google search has shown nothing. Let's hope it stays that way. We don't need another person having to completely erase any trail of themselves online just to exist on the internet.
If you're talking about 8chan, there is a thread [http://www.8ch.net/gamergatehq/res/152715.html]. Grab your popcorn
That was surprisingly tame, well except for the swearing that puts mine to shame. Seems like most people are taking the route of "wait and see", but of course a few people are "ban her him now".
"Relatively unknown guy named Elfgore"

Damn, if they called me that I'd be pissed. :p
I'm actually glad I'm unknown to GG. I like existing on the internet without being sent hate mail or being insulted for having opinions.
There is a TVTropes verification joke in here somewhere!

sky14kemea said:
Nomad said:
I used to be a moderator on another forum, and the very first moderating action I took ended up with a 15-page thread comparing me to both Stasi and the Gestapo (with corresponding photoshoppings of my portrait).
Wait what? That's not fair. I never get any cool photoshops of me on the bodies of dictators or mafia bozos. :C
Steppeth thy game up, scrub! I have only had to ever ban one person, and I am Ilsa the She-wolf!
Considering how awesome Dyanne Thorne is, I shall accept this.

crimson5pheonix said:
Zombie_Fish said:
crimson5pheonix said:
So Sky bathes in Mtn Dew?
Well, yeah. I mean, everyone does that, right?
Only if you're X-TREEEEEEEEEEEME!

So X-TREME that you don't start X-TREME with an e.
I wish I could still bathe in Surge :[
I also wish I could actually edit things on my tablet. Le sigh. Such fun to be had.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
IceForce said:
The Lunatic said:
Davroth said:
the silence said:
Copy-paste posts from a usergroup to another, which the latter had no access too.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
IceForce said:
Drathnoxis said:
Are the low content rules even being enforced again? Last I heard the mods were told not to enforce those rules.

TopazFusion said:
Indeed, there are actually parts of the Code of Conduct that aren't even enforced anymore. Case in point:
In order to participate in conversation one should present an explanation of the reasoning that informs your opinion. "I like pie" isn't an argument. The fact that you like pie is well and good, but why do you like that pie? This explanation offers others an opportunity to respond to your opinion and avoids forum spam.
This specific part of the CoC (under 'low content') is no longer being enforced.

Posting an on-topic answer to a thread, without "presenting an explanation of the reasoning that informs your opinion", is not something we punish anymore. This is an official directive from the site management, not something the moderators have decided on. (However, please be aware that the rest of the low content rule still applies. So no posting "LOL", "+1" just-an-image, just-a-video, etc, or anything like that.)

This means, for instance, in a thread asking "What was your GOTY?", you can now answer with just the name of the game without needing to "present an explanation of the reasoning that informs your opinion".
Yeah but, given that user is no longer a moderator, I'd rather hear this from someone who IS a moderator, or from a member of staff.

Any @mods: want to offer any input on this? Any truth to this quote, or is it just a load of hot air?
It's true that we were told that the Low Content rule was going to be, for lack of a better phrase "less harshly enforced". So what Topaz explained there from a past thread is still true.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
G.O.A.T. said:
No offense Lilani, but did you miss the part where I've never recieved a reply to a single one of those? You see, when someone in authority isn't holding up their end of the bargain (the Escapist, not you personally) then what's the point of me following the proper channels? No, we can do this here because if not then it won't get done at all. If you're not comfortable with it, feel free to bring in another mod. I'm serious. And if it's not addressed I guess I'll just have to keep pointing out to the forums how little respect the staff has for the forums until y'all fix it or ban me. Telling me to use the moderation appeal is akin to telling me to go fuck myself and that lack of response is far ruder than any fucking thing I've ever said here.
If you've appealed using the Contact link, have you checked your emails? Anything sent through the appeals or contact system is sent via email so the reply goes through there as well. Sometimes it can go into your Junk folder.

Other than that, you can always PM [user]ffronw[/user] directly. Discussing moderation issues in a thread won't work because the only people who can do something about it (EG. the Staff) Hardly ever go into most forum threads, and don't usually have time to read through every post in one.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
You could get a quick start by cleaning up the image spam love-in that this thread has turned into. Even moderators and their lap dogs should not be above being sanctioned for it.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
StreamerDarkly said:
You could get a quick start by cleaning up the image spam love-in that this thread has turned into. Even moderators and their lap dogs should not be above being sanctioned for it.
The low content rule, particularly towards images, has been all but disposed of. Why start again now? Besides, this is a laugh. Very rare around here. Try to enjoy it.

EDIT: Also, directly insulting most users in this thread is a great way to get modded.