Points where you've disagreed with Yahtzee

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
He is right quite a lot of the time but his Condemned 2 review was just a big ball of wrong to me. Nowhere in that game does anyone say 'ancient mystical cult' T_T

May 17, 2007
Chaosut said:
I'm willing to bet that most people are nodding our heads in agreement 99% of the time when you watch a review by the almighty Yahtzee. He seems to be able to hit the nail on the head like no other.
What? If you agree with Yahtzee 99% of the time, you must think the video game industry is in a terrible, terrible shape. The last positive review he gave, that I can remember, was for Portal. Portal! Do you know how many games he's reviewed since then? I don't but it's a lot. Maybe I've missed a positive review or two since then, but I doubt it, and you have to admit they're vastly outnumbered by the negative ones.

Considered as an entertainer, Yahtzee is great. But as a reviewer, as someone who will educate and inform you on the games he reviews, he's useless. He's like a gladiator, hacking things apart for the entertainment of the cheering mob.

I can't point to one specific game and say "this game is good and he said it was bad therefore he is wrong", because opinions differ on every game. But when every review is nearly unrelentingly critical, you have to be able to see that he's not being fair and balanced.

I don't even agree that he's "just voicing his opinion". I honestly don't think his reviews represent his true opinions - at least I hope not, or he must be a very bitter person. He knows what makes a good video, and that isn't honesty.

The man is a professional troll. He's good at it, and I think there's a place for what he does. But to consider Zero Punctuation a shining example of informative games journalism is an insult to all the insightful, honest games journalists who don't pander to their audience's hunger for negativity.

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
I'm actually kind of suprised at the responses, in a good way though. I just personally found that most of the stuff he said i agreed with, and it is such a breath of fresh air to hear a reviewer who doesn't just praise any mainstream game with alot of hype. Although his reviews do have alot of humour in them, alot of what he sayd seems to reign true to me (just personally). Though of course games are a subjective art, and a critic is obviously going to have alot of disagreeing viewers.

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, i suppose it's probably because i find video games to be mostly dissapointment. I guess he is a fair troll, but i like that ;). If i was a reviewer i'd be bagging the shit out of most of the games i played.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
Portal is great, but I personally don't think it's one of the "best games EVA!"

I know Saint's Row is a GTA clone, but I don't think Assassin's Creed is. It does have several simularities, but just because they are both sandbox games doesn't mean whoever was first is the original and everything else is a clone.

$15 a month for WoW is a lot of money in the long run, but regular games cost $60 American on release date, so a monthly fee of $15 for a game you are going to play longer than a few weeks isn't too bad.

While RE4>RE5, they are still great games. It might be short, but the levels are pretty simular, and they expect you to beat each level several times on different difficulties and to get every treasure/achievement, so it feels like a list of WoW like instances that you have access to. Then again, some people say RE4 was the worst RE game of all time, but the only people who say that are RE fanboys, and they can go shove off for all I care.

In Fable 2, maybe doing odd jobs and buying real estate isn't legend material, but it feels like a combination of an rpg and a tycoon game, or RPG Tycoon, but at the same time it's very different than tycoon games. 90% of all games involve killing something/someone, so slowly progressing in wealth and chopping hundreds of logs is a so-so change of pace.

Other than that, I agree with Yahtzee on just about everything. In other words, baa, ba, baaaaa.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
I like Halo, I actually think it's better than average (admittedly only because the average shooter is really shit)
I think Oblivion's problem's weren't that bad and can still be very much enjoyed.

And, *puts on flame retardant suit* while Portal was excellent, it wasn't amazing or anything :p I've played better games and heard funnier things :p

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
I agree on portal, it's a good game, but not great. My main complaint is that it spends so long walking you through the basics like a 4 year old that by the time you actually get into the real game it's already halfway through. I did like the black humour of GLaDOS, and some of the puzzles had a fairly balanced difficulty.

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
I usually watch a NP because he'll give me a heads up on minor flaws on a game by exagerating them ad excess. He does the same for major flaws, and will typically prepare you for the worst. The few games he likes are among my favorites, so he's got good taste there, but you can't agree with every point. In that same vein you can't base a game purchase on one person's opinion... whom you've never met.... and probably hates you.

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
well for a start yahtzee doesn't really like online games. which makes him reviewing games like halo 3/age of conan redundant imo.

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
I disagree with nearly everything he says, and to be honest think that while he's funny his review is becoming less and less of a review and more a conga of rants. Look at the Riddick one - what he says is quite funny and on the money, but most of it is about people and subjects surrounding the game, with little I couldn't find out from a cursory glance at a million other sites, which while featuring less charismatic reviewers, does feature shots of the actual bloody game, and while he may have good reasons for not wanting to play in the piss ridden paddling pool that online gaming is becoming, as a reviewer that makes you increasingly redundant - Halo3s review is a good example- how can you give a valid opinion on this game if you don't play multiplyer? That's like a pilot that doesnt 'do' heights. - I don't need a profesional to not do something on my behalf - I'm quite good at that myself.

carsenere

Jul 16, 2008
Yahtzee has quite alot of good points most of the time however most of the things he finds iritating I either dont notice or dont care about, or in afew cases (like some of the things he said about strategy games and RPG's) I actually like some of the things he hates.

The main use of the Yahtzee reviews is that they tell you all the points of a game in a bad light so if you do still find your self liking a game just of a review its probably for you.

Chaosut

Apr 8, 2009
carsenere said:
Yahtzee has quite alot of good points most of the time however most of the things he finds iritating I either dont notice or dont care about, or in afew cases (like some of the things he said about strategy games and RPG's) I actually like some of the things he hates.

The main use of the Yahtzee reviews is that they tell you all the points of a game in a bad light so if you do still find your self liking a game just of a review its probably for you.
Yeah, that's probably what i appreciate most, being prepared for the shit points of a game. Alot of reviews just tend to highlight the pros and ignore the cons.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Metal Gear Solid 4 and Assassin's Creed. He fucked up -bad- on MGS4 and he didn't mention anywhere in AC that the game perpetually chokes itself by breaking gameflow with its stupid arbitrary sci-fi elements.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Well I like JRPG's and I prefer Non-interactive storytelling over NO storytelling so...

Yeah, I disagree with Yahtzee about a lot of things.

For Science

Apr 27, 2009
Fraser.J.A said:
The last positive review he gave, that I can remember, was for Portal. Portal! Do you know how many games he's reviewed since then?
Gears of War 2 off the top of my head.
Reviewing Eve online with out the player run stuff is like reviewing... Um? Gears of War without the cover/chainsaws*? Halo 3 without the back story? Yes some things I he could improve on.
He also liked Saints row 2.
*I'm not saying he did this, It's a hypothetical review to compare it to.

Pezzer

Feb 15, 2009
Halo and Fable, his dislike of above.

I think he values technical accuracy too highly.

Ultimateslayer

Sep 21, 2008
I really disagreed with condemned 2 which, for most part is because i'm kind of a fanboy.
But, even though he made valid points, most of his statments were just worthless nitpics.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
There've been some things, certainly. For the most extreme case, I absolutely refuse to watch the Madworld review any more, for what I think are some extremely stupid opinions about the Wii.

Other than that, Yahtzee practically gives out grains of salt with his videos anyway, so for the most part when I disagree I don't hold it against him (I really like fighting games and JRPGs, for example).

Fraser.J.A said:
Chaosut said:
I'm willing to bet that most people are nodding our heads in agreement 99% of the time when you watch a review by the almighty Yahtzee. He seems to be able to hit the nail on the head like no other.
What? If you agree with Yahtzee 99% of the time, you must think the video game industry is in a terrible, terrible shape. The last positive review he gave, that I can remember, was for Portal. Portal! Do you know how many games he's reviewed since then? I don't but it's a lot. Maybe I've missed a positive review or two since then, but I doubt it, and you have to admit they're vastly outnumbered by the negative ones.
Gears of War 2, Crysis, Prince of Persia (tentatively), Thief: The Dark Project, Chronicles of Riddick, Tom Clancy's Hawx, Left 4 Dead, Fallout 3, Braid, God of War...

I don't think the problem's on Yahtzee's side. He focuses on the negative, for the most part, because that's where most of the humor is. He still goes out of his way to point out things he likes about games, and it doesn't really take much reading between the lines to note games he recommends, at least to people who don't really mind the flaws (or "flaws," depending) he points out.