Pokeball Button Combos

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
haha, when Red/Blue came out, I actually thought that you had to hit A repeatedly to raise the chance of it getting caught. I could have sworn that was in one of the dialog with the NPC's (at least at the time)

pendragon177

Jul 12, 2009
I always used to press A+B+Start+Select and for some reason it never reset my game. Until someone actually told me that's what it did. From then on it was always Up+B.

OmegaCheese

Nov 19, 2009
It used to be plain A's but it's usually random or L and R. I've heard good things about pressing A+B+L+R, try it, meheheheheh. Evil

EDIT: Wait no, that's not it it's A+B+Start+Select. Evil

EastDog

Nov 26, 2008
I rotate my thumb around the D-pad while alternating pressing A and B. It seems to work half the time.

brettskibols

Apr 13, 2010
Down and B, one of those habits you keep with you like a good luck charm and use years later without thinking of ever questioning it.

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
Hit A to use the ball, hold B as soon as the ball appears, until the poofy cloud appears as it opens, then hold A until it stops moving.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
I always did Down+B as soon as the ball opened. I know it didn't do anything, but sometimes, I try it anyway just to make me feel like I've tried everything.

Tarmon'gaidin

Jan 15, 2009
I never press any buttons because that will make the pokemon escape. :p

Started doing this when I was like 8. And while playing Heart Gold I just found myself doing the excact same thing as 10 years ago; lay down the DS (used to be the gameboy) and hold my breath till the ball stops moving. :D

laol1999

Apr 15, 2010
like many people here i am an A button masher
im kinda suprised that the button on my gameboy color still works today considering the amount of pokemon i played on it

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
I didn't hold down any buttons. Rather, I would literally talk to the pokemon, trying to convince them to let themselves be caught. The success rate of it surprised even me, especially in the safari zone...

asam92

Oct 26, 2008
Yep, like you said utter crap, but it always felt like if you dont press anything it wont work.
So I used to hold down and rapid press b or hold down and rapid press a.
I have done this since the very start back at Pokemon Blue in the 90's