Pokemon Gets Gritty in Live Action Pokemon Apokelypse

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Korias said:
canadamus_prime said:
It's shit. Also I can't believe how many people are saying they like this.
Care to elaborate? I personally enjoyed it; it was well made from not only a technical standpoint, but also from a writer's perspective. These guys have taken a world which originally starred an eleven year old child and aged it rather well. Think about it for a second: What kind of eleven year old kid has the time to travel the world and battle to become the "master", while eschewing school, home, and other essentials to life. Even with the suspension of disbelief, it took some getting used to. This is a straight slap to the face to break that disbelief and at the same time stays true to the intentions of the source. Gary is still a pragmatist ass, Team Rocket is still evil, and Ash is still blind to most of whats actually going on around him. It's just all been dialed up a bit.

I for one, welcome this trailer. What makes me sad is that we're never going to see this in production past this point: Nintendo is far too overprotective of their little IP that any non-licensed sort of work, from Pokemon Online to even the use of images from already released games on websites, isn't going to see the light of day. Which is a shame: From what it looks like, one could easily create an entire series of games from this sort of setting alone, albeit with a more "Pokemon Colosseum" feeling to it.
I would elaborate, but I get the feeling I'd be wasting my time. I suppose from a technical standpoint, it is pretty well made. However, I still say it's shit namely because Pokemon is not supposed to be dark and gritty. Making it dark and gritty removes the charm that made it appealing (at least for me) in the first place.

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
This is hilarious. I'm actually laughing as I write this. It's been a while since I had a laugh this good. Maybe if they didn't make Ash look like a Bollywood action here, I'd believe it a little more.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That was awesome, but those Pokemon models looked...disturbing.
Jack and Calumon said:
Also, guns for Team rocket is nothing new.
Oh there's one episode that was aired uncensored (at least here in Holland) that was a lot worse than that.

At one point Team Rocket robs a store wielding a machinegun and a rocket launcher. A while later, Ash rushes in for medicine(as Pikachu is, once again, in trouble) only to be greeted by several paranoid villagers wielding various handguns, shotguns and machineguns.

If I could only remember the title.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
B-class acting and weird pokémon models, but awesome production values and cool story. The direction was especially good. I would definitely pay to see this movie. If only it existed :(

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Korias said:
canadamus_prime said:
Care to elaborate? I personally enjoyed it; it was well made from not only a technical standpoint, but also from a writer's perspective. These guys have taken a world which originally starred an eleven year old child and aged it rather well. Think about it for a second: What kind of eleven year old kid has the time to travel the world and battle to become the "master", while eschewing school, home, and other essentials to life. Even with the suspension of disbelief, it took some getting used to. This is a straight slap to the face to break that disbelief and at the same time stays true to the intentions of the source. Gary is still a pragmatist ass, Team Rocket is still evil, and Ash is still blind to most of whats actually going on around him. It's just all been dialed up a bit.

I for one, welcome this trailer. What makes me sad is that we're never going to see this in production past this point: Nintendo is far too overprotective of their little IP that any non-licensed sort of work, from Pokemon Online to even the use of images from already released games on websites, isn't going to see the light of day. Which is a shame: From what it looks like, one could easily create an entire series of games from this sort of setting alone, albeit with a more "Pokemon Colosseum" feeling to it.
I would elaborate, but I get the feeling I'd be wasting my time. I suppose from a technical standpoint, it is pretty well made. However, I still say it's shit namely because Pokemon is not supposed to be dark and gritty. Making it dark and gritty removes the charm that made it appealing (at least for me) in the first place.
I see no harm in having a dark and gritty option for those who want it, anyone who shares your viewpoint can just ignore it. I think this is a case of your mileage may vary as opposed to being shit.

I've watched this again and again and I love the emotional energy of the thing, I feel really sorry for Pikachu everytime the part with it lying in the hospital and every time I see this I really, really, really want to see more.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Well that was different. I wouldn't mind it so much if the pokemon did look like stuffed animals on crack. But other than the pokemon, it looks great.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Ash's voice is way too deep. Him sounding like a normal adult I could accept. I know it's gritty and such, but...

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Whoa. Just.... whoa. That's just epic. Really, this looks excellent. Although some of the Pokemon look a bit off.

Moonmover

Feb 12, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Korias said:
canadamus_prime said:

That's the whole joke, dude.

Spellmaster

Aug 8, 2010
Ok, for a fan work i'm impressed

It reminds me of the truly awesome pokemon fanfic 'Pokemon Master', yes dont laugh, there are good fanfics in the genre, this is THE dark world story, worth reading just for the premise involved.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Moonmover said:
You know what the real joke of this is? If this thing were done by, let's say Micheal Bay or Uwe Bole, you all would be throwing titanic hissy fits right about now. Don't try and deny it.

...hypocrites.

Spellmaster

Aug 8, 2010
Ok, true, but that's because Bay and Bole have proven their shared capacity to turn an awesome story into something that should be put down before it reaches theatres

Its embarrassing how recent choices have so much to work with in terms of lore and backstory, but the recent scripts from each, could have been beaten by someone wiping their arse and using the stains as a script [or maybe thats how the script came about to begin with..]

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
Yeah, Pokemon is all well and good, but I'm glad they're not real. They're much better off being fictional. People would fuck them to Hell and back if they really existed.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Twilight.falls said:
As an avid Pokemon fan, I find this trailer to be hilarious.

But who said Pokemon is all happiness and rainbows? Sure, on the surface it is to keep a light hearted feel, but it definitely isn't childish.

A good amount of Pokemon are stated to actively hunt people's souls, for example.
What? You sound like my friend who's way into pokemon. Dude they are not hardcore. All the undertones you can look for won't undermine that the show was made and built for kids.

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Twilight.falls said:
As an avid Pokemon fan, I find this trailer to be hilarious.

But who said Pokemon is all happiness and rainbows? Sure, on the surface it is to keep a light hearted feel, but it definitely isn't childish.

A good amount of Pokemon are stated to actively hunt people's souls, for example.
On the subject of pokemon being to happy/rainbow read the manga version starring red blue and green, while not quite up to this ones standard it does go for a lightly better feel making rocket an actual exetera exetera even having a few of the gym leaders working for rocket. manga fox has the series if you anyone is interested

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Moonmover said:
canadamus_prime said:
Korias said:
canadamus_prime said:

you never know they may do a zelda and let it get finished and posted for 24 hours before wheeling out the lawyers by which point it'd be all over the torrents anyway. Dang I wish they would make this, they could do to fix some of the pokemon but hell i'd still waste the 50 minutes watching it