Pokemon

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
Dommyboy post=9.71633.732505 said:
Has anyone here actually "Catched them all?"
Yes, once on the on GB generation, once on the GBA gen and then again on the DS. It's not that difficult TBH, kids seem to see the number you need to catch and don't bother with it.

I always said that the Pokemon games will interest the young 'uns for so much of the game and they'll eventually give up before doing everything.

Also, I have friends with children and I've seen some of them try and play the Pokemon games with rather amusing results. Kids today just want "hammer this button" games, they don't want to think about ANYTHING.

14Demons

Sep 16, 2008
For my pokemon game, firstly it's a game made for casual hand held play, so I'd keep the current battle system. What I'd do is give you eventual access to every island they have made for pokemon, and a choice on which island you'd like to start on. Of course you'd have to complete a league before moving to the next island. From there I have a choice: force you into an Ash matrix where you start with new pokemon on each island and let you bring your big guys later or raise the overall level allowed, keeping in mind I want to put some decent multiplayer ability in there. I'd make a separate program for the nintendo console of the time, like the current ones, but if you plug in your hand held you can play it in 3D. And finally, I'd give you the ability to catch EVERY POKEMON!

Thanks for reading.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
The Iron Ninja post=9.71633.731899 said:
I was hoping that this was a thread about pokemon in general.
So I would just like to say that I still get the original theme song stuck in my head.
And it is awesome.
I wanna be...The very best. DUN DUN DUN!
Like no one ever was... DUN DUN DUN DUNNN.
To catch them is my real quest,
To train them is my cause...
POKEMON!

Ah, the memories.

On Topic: Mystery Dungeon is the closest you'll ever get.

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
[email protected] post=9.71633.732525 said:
A Pokemon MMO would be pretty sweet...
I had this discussion with my friend not two days ago when we were link battling on Blue and Red.

Considering the Gameboy games are usually not big enough (if there is any) to fit all the pokemoes there are now...Seriously how many are there? I remember back in Grade 6 when there was only 150.
An MMO would be a great way to have them all in at once. Considering the vast environments you could use and everything. It'd be better if it was a cel shaded game too, but thats just my opinion

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
Syphonz post=9.71633.732802 said:
Considering the Gameboy games are usually not big enough (if there is any) to fit all the pokemoes there are now...Seriously how many are there? I remember back in Grade 6 when there was only 150.
493 in total now. But they've got lazy and made alternate forms for a lot of them making it look like there's loads more than 500.

I have no problem with them making new pokemon, just not pissing around giving Rotom 6 different forms in the style of different household appliances (platinum).

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Rampage911 post=9.71633.731859 said:
And the game would be in no way repetitive, boring, or unatractive.
You can't really have RPGs without huge grinding elements. They go hand in hand, admittedly most people would like to severe the connection, RPGs would become shallow and either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard.

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
Shivari post=9.71633.731918 said:
I have always said that if they made a PokeMMOn it would be the first and only MMO I would ever play.
Yes me too, if they did it so it's the same as the handheld ones except there are no NPC battles, each trainer in the game is a person, that would be awesome.

So I would just like to say that I still get the original theme song stuck in my head.
And it is awesome.
<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOX3OmUhQoo>Linky Linky

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
needausername post=9.71633.732811 said:
Rampage911 post=9.71633.731859 said:
And the game would be in no way repetitive, boring, or unatractive.
You can't really have RPGs without huge grinding elements. They go hand in hand, admittedly most people would like to severe the connection, RPGs would become shallow and either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard.
Final Fantasy 12 tried to kill of the grind factor by letting you set up gambits and put your joypad down in the middle of mobs...........people still slated it for this. Guess no one's happy if you change something OR if you leave it alone.

Pokemon is only grind if you're fighting the piss poorest things in the game anyway. If you're good and find the right things to fight, it's not so bad. Until you get to lvl 80 or so then it becomes slightly grindesque.

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
dannydamage post=9.71633.732823 said:
it's not so bad. Until you get to lvl 80 or so then it becomes slightly grindesque.
That could be solved with a really high level area.

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
TheGhostOfSin post=9.71633.732897 said:
it's not so bad. Until you get to lvl 80 or so then it becomes slightly grindesque.
That could be solved with a really high level area.
Which they have in Platinum!

The Elite Four go up in level, as does your rival and a load of the gym leaders and co-op partners all gather in a cafe for battle purposes. As far as I've seen most of those I just mentioned all hang around the lvl 80 mark. :D

Shivari

Jun 17, 2008
Until you get to lvl 80 or so then it becomes slightly grindesque.
Didn't stop me from getting my Electrobuzz and Gyrados up to 100 in Pokemon Red when I was really little. My Electrobuzz was unstoppable in link battles!

Also, I've always said that the original 150 > all of the others, but Swablu from the Sapphire game is so cute!

The Iron Ninja

Aug 13, 2008
TheGhostOfSin post=9.71633.732812 said:
And it is awesome.
<url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOX3OmUhQoo>Linky Linky
That is both awesome and terrifying at the same time.

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
Shivari post=9.71633.733632 said:
Until you get to lvl 80 or so then it becomes slightly grindesque.
Didn't stop me from getting my Electrobuzz and Gyrados up to 100 in Pokemon Red when I was really little. My Electrobuzz was unstoppable in link battles!

Also, I've always said that the original 150 > all of the others, but Swablu from the Sapphire game is so cute!
Me neither, I have several boxes full of Lvl 100s (between 50-60) migrated onto my DS. I had Red for my Gameboy, then I got Gold. That all got sold in my mid teens and then I got FireRed and Emerald for the GBA and Colosseum for my Gamecube (awesome for levelling to 100). Most recently I've obtained Pearl and Diamond and I've kept up with it.

I'll admit it's not as good as it used to be, but the multiplayer is only still as good as the multiplayer friends you have. And they have that awesome replayability factor too.

The original artist is back and forth and they have one or two other people designing Pokemon now. The newer guys just seem to make half assed mecha monsters most of the time. And mecha is the stuff that puts me off quite a bit! :(

The Lyre

Jul 2, 2008
I have always said that if they made a PokeMMOn it would be the first and only MMO I would ever play.
I would agree with this idea...if you hadn't made a pun on both Pokemon and MMOs.

I would rather have witnessed a Rick Roll there...

PokeMMOn...*sigh*

Shivari post=9.71633.733632 said:
My Electrobuzz was unstoppable in link battles!
I had a deep respect for you, Shivari...what happened to you? The Japanese got to you, didn't they? HOW MUCH ARE THEY PAYING YOU?!

Shivari

Jun 17, 2008
Qayin post=9.71633.733743 said:
I would agree with this idea...if you hadn't made a pun on both Pokemon and MMOs.

I would rather have witnessed a Rick Roll there...

PokeMMOn...*sigh*
It's clever and you know it!

I had a deep respect for you, Shivari...what happened to you? The Japanese got to you, didn't they? HOW MUCH ARE THEY PAYING YOU?!
Well since I'M(MO) new it's a pretty low salary but there's a lot of rooM(MO) to MMOve up...

I mean, no one's paying me anything. Silly.

Rob Sharona

May 29, 2008
Fire Daemon post=9.71633.731883 said:
Rampage911 post=9.71633.731874 said:
what do you mean?
Pokemon is designed to be a kids game. Your game will not entertain the children, for them it will be too complex and it wouldn't entertain the older fans of Pokemon because it wouldn't be a Pokemon game, it will be some other roleplaying game with monsters.
Have you actually played a pokemon game? They represent well balanced, challenging RPG games.

As for the combat system, the depth and complexity of it is staggering. Visit to www.serebii.net to see what I mean. There is practically infinite scope for competitive battling, especially at the highest, professional levels.

The fact is, the Pokemnon games are too hard for most kids, but are drawn to them because of the cartoon, and the colourful nature of the characters. The Pokemon series deserves an environment like that which the OP describes.

People who dismiss the Pokemon series as 'just a kids game' are simply ignorant.

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
Rob Sharona post=9.71633.734035 said:
Fire Daemon post=9.71633.731883 said:
Rampage911 post=9.71633.731874 said:
what do you mean?
Pokemon is designed to be a kids game. Your game will not entertain the children, for them it will be too complex and it wouldn't entertain the older fans of Pokemon because it wouldn't be a Pokemon game, it will be some other roleplaying game with monsters.
Have you actually played a pokemon game? They represent well balanced, challenging RPG games.

As for the combat system, the depth and complexity of it is staggering. Visit to www.serebii.net to see what I mean. There is practically infinite scope for competitive battling, especially at the highest, professional levels.

The fact is, the Pokemnon games are too hard for most kids, but are drawn to them because of the cartoon, and the colourful nature of the characters. The Pokemon series deserves an environment like that which the OP describes.

People who dismiss the Pokemon series as 'just a kids game' are simply ignorant.
How could you write the first sentence and then contradict it with the next?
Pokemon is not well balanced for the exact reason you say it is, I think the metagame ruins the competitive battling because all people need to do is slap together a couple of over used Pokemon and movelists, and they're good to go.

The sad fact is you can't battle with your favourites and win online unless your favourites are ubers or over used or the opponent agrees to limit themself.

I don't think Pokemon is too hard for kids, the metagame you described isn't way the game's meant to be played.