Police shoot (another) unarmed black man in the back 7 times

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
A few lines from a Raymond Chandler detective novel written in the 30's, iirc, that's stuck with me:

"Police business is a hell of a problem. It's a good deal like politics. It asks for the highest type of men, and there's nothing in it to attract the highest type of men."
Right the perks are .. what? Copping a feel on a dead woman? Getting killed? Adrenaline junkies who need the high of shoot outs, speed chases and busting in doors and unloading their guns to get off? We have to address this basic problem of changing the perks here if we want to change who it attracts to do the job. What would it take to have ANYONE here take the job? If the perks suck too bad for you to take the job, then how do we expect to get anyone better in there?

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
People are owning lots of homes around here. They can't seem to build enough of them and the area is still under a housing boom. I just posted above, they can only afford to live in the ghetto, so you are only going to attract employees that want to live in the ghetto for the job.

The problem is our cops can't do any of that, so why would anyone want the job? You not being able to do that as well only says that is not the ONLY area there is a problem, it is just saying we need to pay everyone to be able to keep up with the cost of living for the region the job is in.
So you think that the first thing we need to do is make sure the cops who oppress everyone can afford to live better than everyone they oppress, and then the good people they’ve fucked over will take their jobs, leaving them with the lower salaries of all the people they used to oppress?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Come on Revy, you want to get paid better than cops? Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, you're why you can only live in a ghetto. Police officers though deserve better. Being institutionalized murderers is hard work, they need a doctor's salary.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
THE JOB I WANTED WAS IN LA COUNTY.
I'll be honest, Revy, I believe the operative problem here is "LA County". That shit is out of whack. NYC and Houston starting salaries are 40-42.5k for cops.

That said, many big city cops have plentiful salary boosts with some experience, and it's awfully hard to get fired.

Reactions: lil devils x

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Come on Revy, you want to get paid better than cops? Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, you're why you can only live in a ghetto. Police officers though deserve better. Being institutionalized murderers is hard work, they need a doctor's salary.
I wouldn't go through med school for just 70k a year.

Tbf I wouldn't go through med school for 200k a year, which probably has something to do with why I haven't...

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
So you think that the first thing we need to do is make sure the cops who oppress everyone can afford to live better than everyone they oppress, and then the good people they’ve fucked over will take their jobs, leaving them with the lower salaries of all the people they used to oppress?
I didn't say that was the first thing. The first thing I said we have to do is accountability. You can't just take apart what I said needed to be done in bits and pieces. It is a whole package here.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I really just cannot believe this insane argument that the only way to get better cops is to make sure they’re not just paid more than the average person (which they factually are paid far more than) but that they get paid dramatically more. Just so much fucking more. Make sure the only people still living the American dream are cops. I’ll spend the rest of my life renting upstairs apartments and drowning in student debt, but the thick necked slob who will gas me when I protest this needs the white picket fence treatment. Jesus Christ.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
>Cop salaries are high
"They're only in it for the money! The worst kind of people"
>Cop salaries are low
"Such a low salary only attracts the worst kind of people"

There's no winning. People have already made up their minds.

Last edited:

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I didn't say that was the first thing. The first thing I said we have to do is accountability. You can't just take apart what I said needed to be done in bits and pieces. It is a whole package here.
More cameras? Does nothing. Civilian oversight? Steam-rolled by unions. More cops watching cops? They’ll just pat them on the back and cover for them. None of that is meaningful.

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
No one said that. Revy is getting crapped on by Space X. No one is blaming him for the widespread underpayment by employers. He can only afford to live in the ghetto there because those calling the shots at Space X are taking and pocketing what they should be paying Revy. They are essentially dipping into his paycheck and others and stealing what they should earn and keeping it for themselves.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
No one said that. Revy is getting crapped on by Space X. No one is blaming him for the widespread underpayment by employers. He can only afford to live in the ghetto there because those calling the shots at Space X are taking and pocketing what they should be paying Revy. They are essentially dipping into his paycheck and others and stealing what they should earn and keeping it for themselves.
Devils I looked for jobs for a fucking year and settled for dramatically less than Space X doing work that is far more meaningless. Yes, all employers are fucking their workers over, but cops are not the ones getting fucked over particularly hard here. Their salaries are solid, their benefits are amazing, and they often get overtime pay to the tune of an entire extra half year of work. They are not the most oppressed part of the working class. The people whose necks they’re stomping on are. The class traitors have been solidly compensated.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
More cameras? Does nothing. Civilian oversight? Steam-rolled by unions. More cops watching cops? They’ll just pat them on the back and cover for them. None of that is meaningful.
That isn't all of what I said. More prosecutions and arrests, not waiting for people to be murdered and then let them off. Actually firing and charging bad cops for all their abuses, not wait to collect the bodies and the buildings are burnt down, then they have to prevent bad cops from being rehired. You counter unions with higher pay, less hours more safer work environment and increased benefits. You offer a better deal than protecting bad cops.

All of it is meaningful, especially when you bring in the social workers, psychiatrists, defensive training and deescalation training that is already being used in other nations that do not have this problem. Other nations do not have the problems we do and we can change that here as well. Pretending like we can't do anything about it doesn't solve anything.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Devils I looked for jobs for a fucking year and settled for dramatically less than Space X doing work that is far more meaningless. Yes, all employers are fucking their workers over, but cops are not the ones getting fucked over particularly hard here. Their salaries are solid, their benefits are amazing, and they often get overtime pay to the tune of an entire extra half year of work. They are not the most oppressed part of the working class. The people whose necks they’re stomping on are. The class traitors have been solidly compensated.
None of the cops that work in my area can afford to live in my area themselves. That is the core of the problem. They are adrenaline junkies, criminals and necro creeps because that is all the job currently attracts. Making that worse means you only get MORE of those types, not less. Adrenaline junkies do not care about class. They just want to get their" fix". You want us to ignore what former cops that chose to do something better are telling us why they left. We should listen. They don;t want you to see them the way you do or treat them like shit either. The adrenaline junkies we have as a result of the current situation don't really care about what you think about them. They just care about their adrenaline fix. They are as bad as meth addicts.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I really just cannot believe this insane argument that the only way to get better cops is to make sure they’re not just paid more than the average person (which they factually are paid far more than) but that they get paid dramatically more. Just so much fucking more. Make sure the only people still living the American dream are cops. I’ll spend the rest of my life renting upstairs apartments and drowning in student debt, but the thick necked slob who will has me when I protest this needs the white picket fence treatment. Jesus Christ.
Nobody here has argued that giving cops more take home pay is the only means necessary or required to make them better. I think that they need higher hiring and training/education standards. There are plenty of professions regulated via licensing boards to maintain a level of competence and accountability for the public good. One of my own fields, surveying, requires 3 recommendations from senior surveyors, a 4 year degree, and a notoriously difficult exam for the junior license. For the senior license, you need at least 2 years of experience (after getting the junior license, not before) broken down very precisely between several different aspects of the job (which means in practice a lot of people need more than 2 years), you need to submit a full urban and a full rural survey plat (a map you draft of the property), and you need to pass another exam. Both levels of licenses require several hours of continuing education credits a year. Engineers, lawyers, doctors, they all have a hand in public safety and have similar standards to uphold.

Cops get a license to kill ("in self-defense") after 6 weeks and a few months shadowing a senior patrol officer.

That shit's out of wack.

Naturally, increased compensation will follow increased standards, because that's what would be needed to attract people to go through all the hassle. They'll go together.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
That isn't all of what I said. More prosecutions and arrests, not waiting for people to be murdered and then let them off. Actually firing and charging bad cops for all their abuses, not wait to collect the bodies and the buildings are burnt down, then they have to prevent bad cops from being rehired. You counter unions with higher pay, less hours more safer work environment and increased benefits. You offer a better deal than protecting bad cops.

All of it is meaningful, especially when you bring in the social workers, psychiatrists, defensive training and deescalation training that is already being used in other nations that do not have this problem. Other nations do not have the problems we do and we can change that here as well. Pretending like we can't do anything about it doesn't solve anything.
Those other countries also don’t resolve this by paying cops more.
AC59C932-D771-47A8-AE4B-EAC8E2362E2F.jpeg
4BAB075C-9B87-4AF6-8166-D97CCD361DD4.jpeg

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
None of the cops that work in my area can afford to live in my area themselves. That is the core of the problem. Their adrenaline junkies, criminals and necro creeps because that is all the job currently attracts. Making that worse means you only get MORE of those types, not less. Adrenaline junkies do not care about class. They just want to get their" fix". You want us to ignore what former cops that chose to do something better are telling us why they left. We should listen. They don;t want you to see them the way you do or treat them like shit either. The adrenaline junkies we have as a result of the current situation don't really care about what you think about them. They just care about their adrenaline fix. They are as bad as meth addicts.
Nobody can afford to live anywhere, this is a separate problem from cops!

Reactions: Kae

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Nobody here has argued that giving cops more take home pay is the only means necessary or required to make them better. I think that they need higher hiring and training/education standards. There are plenty of professions regulated via licensing boards to maintain a level of competence and accountability for the public good. One of my own fields, surveying, requires 3 recommendations from senior surveyors, a 4 year degree, and a notoriously difficult exam for the junior license. For the senior license, you need at least 2 years of experience (after getting the junior license, not before) broken down very precisely between several different aspects of the job (which means in practice a lot of people need more than 2 years), you need to submit a full urban and a full rural survey plat (a map you draft of the property), and you need to pass another exam. Both levels of licenses require several hours of continuing education credits a year. Engineers, lawyers, doctors, they all have a hand in public safety and have similar standards to uphold.

Cops get a license to kill ("in self-defense") after 6 weeks and a few months shadowing a senior patrol officer.

That shit's out of wack.

Naturally, increased compensation will follow increased standards, because that's what would be needed to attract people to go through all the hassle. They'll go together.
Cops are already paid as well as jobs requiring four year degrees!

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Those other countries also don’t resolve this by paying cops more.
Are all their cops running around with guns? They redefined the role of their police officers. EXACTLY what I said needed to be done. However, the UK and most western nations have a more socialized safety net so they also do not have as much to worry about paying for out of pocket. My neighbor who was a cop couldn't even afford his daughters braces. ( not teeth , LEG BRACES).

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Cops are already paid as well as jobs requiring four year degrees!
I get paid more than a cop in my region with my 4 year degree.

Cost of living and regional variations of compensation are a thing, which doesn't even get into the massive supply of college labor deprecating demand problem we have, or the lack of employee negotiating power.

But all that is kinda seperate from the main point of "make them go throuhh the rigors of a real public good license, and then pay them accordingly", isn't it?

Reactions: lil devils x