Poll: Adamantium vs Lightsaber

Ein987

Jan 15, 2011
The color of the lightsaber would affect it's cutting potential.
A blue saber would not cut through it all the way because blue is dumb. Blue only works as a training light saber, therefore it could not cut through the adamantium.
Red wouldn't work either. I don't know why, it just wouldn't.
I'm just making all this up; I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I think adamantium might lose against a saber though.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Gruevy said:
Scarim Coral said:
This has been done before but to the answer to your question, I voted Adamanitum.
Wrong.
Cap's shield is actually made from a very special kind of vibranium.

/nitpick
Some stories say it's a hybrid of both.

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
Adamantium. Why? Swords can stop lightsabers in KotOR, seems reasonable adamantium could do it.

Otaku13

Feb 4, 2010
I would say The lightsaber would win. I like the fact that everyone has brought up the blast doors from episode 1. The reason why that took longer to cut through was probably because those blast doors where several feet thick at least. built for withstanding extreme firepower and also for the chances of a hull breach. Now Wolverine's skeleton at most only has a few centimeters of adamantium covering it, or he wouldn't even be able to move properly. So barely a inch of protection probably wouldn't take as long as those blast doors. Now for us to make the ultimate weapon we just need to find out if one can use kryptonite crystals instead of the ones usually used in lightsabers, and get the same result.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Adamantium: can't be cut or broken by anything in the Universe.
Light Saber: cuts through anything in the Universe.

What happens when they meet? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure HAL starts killing astronauts.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
What happens when an unstoppable force hits an unbreakable metal? Chuck Norris appears.

OT: Lightsaber, they can cut through anything with enough time and effort.

Captcha: Life totehow

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
The lightsabre cauterises Anakin's wounds at the end of episode 2 and 3, as well as Luke's wrist at the end of 5. But that guy in the Mos Eisley cantina bleeds all over the floor when he loses his arm from the shoulder down.

Maybe it's context dependent, like where it cuts and what angle and such. Although I don't know why it would be...

Can't help with the adamantium thing though, cause I don't know what it is. Sorry.

kaveradeo

Jul 12, 2010
crudus said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Not everything melts. Now everything is destructible tho :p
Pretty sure having four states of being is a property of matter. The transition from solid to liquid being melting.
You're missing something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_(phase_transition)

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Flauros said:
The question is, does a lightsaber cut through EVERYTHING?!?!?! It always seems to, but im supposing it should have a limit, or you could just throw a lightsaber at a death star and slice through it like a hot penny through butter.

In the comic there was an adamantium door, and they tried to open it with a super welding laser. After an hour, it had a scratch on it like on a cd.
Well, in the book I'm reading a lightsaber couldn't cut effectively through Mandolorian armour.

Gruevy

Jan 7, 2011
Lucane said:
Gruevy said:
Scarim Coral said:
This has been done before but to the answer to your question, I voted Adamanitum.
Wrong.

/nitpick

Really? I thought adamantium was a derivative of vibranium. If I recall correctly, the scientist who made Cap's shield developed adamantium after trying to recreate the same material.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
kaveradeo said:
crudus said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Not everything melts. Now everything is destructible tho :p
Pretty sure having four states of being is a property of matter. The transition from solid to liquid being melting.
You're missing something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_(phase_transition)
no I am not. He said "not everything melts" which is false. Since we are talking about a lightsaber and adamantine we are clearly not talking about "circumstances found on Earth".

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
Oscar90 said:
Junkle said:
ZombieGenesis said:
My question is, how did they MELT adamantium in the first place?
You can melt the ore once, then it becomes effectively unbreakable. If I recall correctly.
Actually i think it's only found already melted, and once you take it out of the... ummm... well i dont really know where they found it from but im guessing somewhere along the lines of a volcano. So any way as soon as you un-melt it, it becomes indestructible.
Adamantion is not found, its an alloy.

The components are melted, mixed and once it cools off and hardens it becomes indestructible.

sessionxiii

Mar 29, 2010
this is good for "the deadliest warrior" haha

anyway adamantium, i dont think lightsabers can cut through everything

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Adamantium. Adamantium is established to be practically indestructible, no canon material ever claimed a lightsaber could slice through anything.
That said, adamantium is meltable.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Gruevy said:
Lucane said:
Gruevy said:
Scarim Coral said:
Wrong.

/nitpick

Really? I thought adamantium was a derivative of vibranium. If I recall correctly, the scientist who made Cap's shield developed adamantium after trying to recreate the same material.
It's been a while since I saw "Ultimate Avengers" movie 2006, but I'm sure they make a small point of saying that it's an improvement over his last shield saying it's part vibranium and part adamantium With makes it best of both worlds since they cover each other's weakness Vibranium being lighter even more unbreakable than Adamantium but with Adamantium which doesn't breakdown when hit with certain soundwaves(beams).

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Wolverine can cut through a solid bulkhead faster than Quai-Gon, thus adamantium > lightsaber.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
It's a lightsaber, it can cut through anything except another lightsaber. It might take some time to work through the adamantium, but it would still win.

Now, imagine a lightsaber with an adamantium hilt. Un.Fucking.Beatable.

CloakedOne

Oct 1, 2009
Rednog said:
gigastrike said:
I actually heard somewhere that a lightsaber wouldn't actually cauterize you. I'm not sure why though.
In the movies it cauterizes, but I remember reading somewhere that in theory the heat needed to cauterize while slicing would be so hot that the person wielding the weapon would have his/her hand cooked just by holding the darn thing.
We must remember that the reason that a lightsaber can be held despite the extremely high temperature it seems to display is the fact that it is not purely technological: it's also mystical. The Force in imbued in the weapon, making it connected with a mystic power as well as being stemmed from technology. Think of it like a magic sword: there is no way that what makes the sword able to withstand damage or cut as well as it does have only to do with the sum of its physical parts: there is something unexplainable happening as well that comes from the realm of the nonphysical.

As for my answer: Difficult to say. There are certain metals in the Star Wars universe like Phrik and cortosis that can avoid the lightsaber's cutting damage (at least for a time). I picture it like that. Eventually, adamantium can be cut, but it would take too long for it to have any bearing on a fight between someone with, say, adamantium armor vs. a lightsaber. The lightsaber-wielder would have to think of a way around it.