Poll: After today's big reveal, are you getting a Wii U?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Pulse said:
Bayonetta 2....why so exclusive?

Can't justify getting a whole console for one game (no matter how good it is).
Halo,Killzone,Gears and god of war why so exclusive?.

GrimHeaper said:
Linking Blunty and I haven't seen that guy in ages and that gets an insta fave from me.

Really I just wish the people who click no on this poll and then proceed to shit on the U would just go spend their time doing something a little more positive and more productive.

Then again I feel if it gets worse on here for Nintendo hate I'll just go shit on the PS4 and 720 threads because an eye for an eye makes everyone blind.
Hey man, try not to get too worked up about this. I can see why "pro-Nintendo" people are getting pissed off about the negative comments, I just don't see why people have to take offense over a product. This is just another SKUB argument.

You're talking as if people who don't want to get a Wii U are coming into this thread to "shit on it" as you say, but the simple fact is that, as of right now 250 people voted No while the total "negative" comments range at around 68 (from 64 unique user names @ 157 comments), so clearly it's just a fraction of people who voted that are commenting. Yes, my interpretation of the thread comments is subjective, but then again yes, I do have Excel 2010 and I know how to use it.

Damn, Friday night and I'm on the Escapist forums. I'm gonna take your advice and do something productive. Skyrim counts as productive, right?

Fine, I'll go for a run.

Tdoodle

Sep 16, 2012
Nah. Don't get me wrong, it's a good list and if I was looking at getting a new console I'd have to look at the Wii-U, but I'm just not interested in investing in another console any time soon. I still haven't seen what Microsoft and Sony are doing.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Seracen said:
Personally, I prefer a controller that feels comfortable, one that DOESN'T cause me physical pain. Honestly, it's unwieldy. I wish Nintendo well, but as I said, it's not my personal preference. No offense is intended, and I wish you well, but please refrain from throwing the "close-minded" epithet at me.
Well, this might just be me, but the WiiU controller is actually one of the nicest controllers I've ever held. It doesn't feel undweildy at all, it's very light weight, it fits the hands very nicely, and I have had no pain with it. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't heard any complaints from people who've actually held and played with it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
jackpackage200 said:
I sure as hell am.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Pikmin 3
Wind Waker HD
Xenoblade 2

SMT X Fire Emblem
Resident Evil Revelations
Injustice Gods Among Us

Rayman Legends
Bayonetta 2

I sure as hell am.
Want the underlined games. REALLY want the bold ones. I already have the Wii U and can't wait to give my library that booster shot as the games are out. Oh also Yoshi's Epic Yarn. Can NOT WAIT for that!!

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
FizzyIzze said:
I expect 5 wolf and bear pelts when you return.

And also a golden dwemer ingot and steel blade.
Sadly, I'm still hunting for the remaining Stones of Barenziah, like 15 of them still. Stupid Thieves Guild. Thankfully they updated Skyrim so that I no longer have that stupid drum and flute in my inventory.

Regarding the OT, the one true regret for me not having a Wii U is for for when Aliens Colonial Marines comes out this year. I know it, I can just feel it in my heart that they're going to put the motion tracker on the GamePad, which I think would be the most authentic Aliens experience.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
FizzyIzze said:

Sadly, I'm still hunting for the remaining Stones of Barenziah, like 15 of them still. Stupid Thieves Guild. Thankfully they updated Skyrim so that I no longer have that stupid drum and flute in my inventory.

Regarding the OT, the one true regret for me not having a Wii U is for for when Aliens Colonial Marines comes out this year. I know it, I can just feel it in my heart that they're going to put the motion tracker on the GamePad, which I think would be the most authentic Aliens experience.
I still need to grab Dragonborn DLC and really should join the thieves guild.

OT: I kinda wouldn't mind the motion tracker being on the pad since it would add to the tension like they would in the movie with one hand holding the tracker and the other their gun (often looking at the tracker and then spazzing out).

But I would much prefer they just add the inventory system or some form of map layout to the pad since I like the pads design in general.

Also I think I'll be getting it on the 360 first and then down the line the U version and maybe the PC version for when I grab a new gpu.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I very sincerely doubt that i'll be getting a WiiU at all, only 1 game has me interested and i'm not purchasing a whole new console to get it, besides, my backlog of games to play has jumped up as of yesterday

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
SkarKrow said:
Nazulu said:
Honestly, I just don't find it to be a normal response. You gave me surprise with that slight detailed view with Wii defence.

Yes, the Wii isn't perfect. The wii motes being the main focus, it just wasn't for every one, and even then people had all types of problems with it. Besides buying battery's or charges, a lot of people didn't find it accurate at all (Nintendo making attachments for it), or that the motions you had to make became annoying for certain games.

A friend of mine who is a really big Zelda fan only had a couple of problems with Skyward Sword, and that is was difficult for him to adjust to the motion, and for some reason the controller actually dropped out some times on him. It hardly happened to me but for some reason his Wii just hated him. Now the anger towards the Wii had risen there since many people who followed Nintendo previously actually had no hardware problems before. Like you said, it should of had more controller options sooner.

Now some of the games really ticked fans off as well. Most of the shovelware being shallow as we know it and domminating the shelves, one of the games many people actually bought the Wii for was SSB Brawl. There were two responses to this game, either you loved it for all the new features, or you were really disappointed with the game play, the restraints and the random tripping. Then there are other no no's like Other M and Mario Kart Wii, which I shouldn't have to explain.

There are other things as well, but this was a while a go now and I just can't remember it all.

Sorry for assuming you spat the dummy. I'll be back after a 8 hour sleep if you want to continue.
My writing style is fairly heavy and assertive, so it can be easily misunderstood I guess.

I personally never experienced problems with the hardware of the wii, though my brothers wii remote often has problems connecting with the classic controller, though as I said, they really should have packed in the Classic Controller Pro from the very beginning so that developers could count on a full controller being available to the player.

And games like Twilight Princess or Resident Evil 4 should have had multiple options because they were ports with the gamecube controller support ripped out. The difference being RE4 benefitted and TP did not.

I always found the motion plus addon to be clunky and irritating, mostly because it came in a wii condom and was a pain the the ass to remove when you weren't using it, say for a sidescroller or the vitual console. For Skyward Sword I do own the limited edtition that came with a remote with motion plus built in, and I've had no issue with it aside from it gets lost in combat and has to be re-centered on the map screen, which is easy to manage as you just push the down button on the map rather than re-calibrate the entire thing.

I really enjoyed Brawl a lot and I've had a lot of fun with it, though I don't get why some characters like Mewtwo were cut at all, there was no reason to cut them, and Young Link just wasn't the same as Toon Link. There wasn't much issue I took with Brawl beyond Meta Knight was a cheap prick though. I love the story because it worked quite well, it was an 8 hour sidescrolling beat'em up platformer that you could play on the couch with a buddy, so I enjoyed it a lot.

I've yet to play Other M but I hear it's a touch mysogynistic but has good gameplay. Mario Kart Wii I kind of hate, it felt bland and slow compared to the DS rendition, with worse tracks and more obnoxious weapons. Pow blocks, lightning, blue shells, all of which are the bane of my existence in Mario Kart Wii, it's something I bore in mind constantly when I reviewed Sonic & All-Stars Transformed (which by my reckoning is now the gold standard for kart racers, it isn't a nostlagic blast, it's a classic in it's own damn right), I loathe and detest the sheer density of weapons like that in Mario Kart Wii. I had a blast last night on it with my brother and in the final quarter lap I was hit by 2 POW blocks, a Blue Shell and a lightning bolt, went from first to 8th in about 10 seconds. Ridiculous and it happened too frequently for my tastes. Whereas in Mario Kart DS we'd have 64-race super grand prix and they were a blast.

Nintendo did make some real mistakes with the Wii, but the Wii hosted some fantastic games with some great control, even thought it could sometimes take a bit of practice. People are unfortuneately dismissive of those great games and it does begin to frustrate me sometimes.

(So far as the batteries go, Microsoft was guilty of the exact same thing and I detest it. Microsoft did provide the play and charge kit but as I recall they cost as much as a controller anyway. I prefer the wired 360 controllers, no huge battery box on the back and the cord is huge (still don't like that d-pad or asymmetry).)

Thankfully Nintendo seems to have learned with the Wii U, it's got some good third party support already and some good first party titles lined up and in good time from the launch too. Not to mention the gamepad has a full suite of control inputs as well as the touch screen, so the Pro controller is much easier to integrate into games and much less of a waste of resources for developers to utilise.

Time will tell but for now it's shaping up like they've learned from their mistakes, and there's enough coming for me to put down my money, in 5 years we can have a discussion on whether the Wii U worked out well, but I think the new approach they're taking will pay off for Nintendo and gamers alike so long as they don't forget their lessons from the Wii and Game Cube.
I wish I could just write so much as easily. I'll try to keep up.

There was quite a few issues people encountered with the Wii but I think I've gone into that enough. You get where I'm coming from. Yeah, there are many that are dismissive and not as forgiving that spouted much ignorance of every thing they damned, but there were a lot of changes and many of those just couldn't find any thing that interested them. It's just not the same as the Nintendo before I guess (though I think the lack of 3rd party support shouldn't all be blamed on Nintendo), including those aggresive at Nintendo because some of the games they released were shallow like the New Super Mario Brothers Wii, and the Super Mario anniversary collection many complained about as well. I can't even remember what the complaints were but I did agree with some of them.

When a business starts making mistakes people just don't find them as reliable. It's happened with both the Xbox and Playstation of course, just incase you think I'm only having a go at the Wi. I'm still just explaining where I believe a lot of the anger comes from. Remember when some hackers stole all the user passwords on Playstation online? That really screwed them over.

As for Brawl, there were a lot of problems with both the game play and the over all design. I think most complaints came from the clunky movements and lack of combo's. I remember watching some Brawl tournament vids on Youtube and some matches took ages, with them beating themselves all the way to 300% just exchanging hits. I even noticed some of the stages actually killed them faster than themselves, and a lot of people got sick of getting stuck under the platforms in that cloud stage. Not to mention they had to stop using the super moves because how imbalanced they were. I feel that Brawl isn't a finished product, I reckon it had the potential to be one of the greatest games ever made which is unfortunate.

Other M made Samus look terrible with it's silly dialogue and story, and the game play and design wasn't much to be desired either. You pretty much nailed Mario Kart Wii on the head, they were the most common complaints about that game. I really hope the next Mario Kart will be similar to the DS version as well, it was the main reason I got the DS.

Yeah, that's probably most of it. Now it's time to move onto better things which I'm happy to say the Wii U looks like it can easily deliver. Can't wait to see the next titles honestly. The new Super Mario Bros Wii U is something I really want. I always found the Mario games reliable, he is a part of so many good games it's amazing.

I reckon it will only be a matter of time till Nintendo earns every ones trust again, the worst is already over from what I see.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
Seracen said:
Personally, I prefer a controller that feels comfortable, one that DOESN'T cause me physical pain. Honestly, it's unwieldy. I wish Nintendo well, but as I said, it's not my personal preference. No offense is intended, and I wish you well, but please refrain from throwing the "close-minded" epithet at me.
Well, this might just be me, but the WiiU controller is actually one of the nicest controllers I've ever held. It doesn't feel undweildy at all, it's very light weight, it fits the hands very nicely, and I have had no pain with it. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't heard any complaints from people who've actually held and played with it.
I've used it for over an hour and it's not a favourite of mine. I don't like having my hands spaced apart that much, I can't put as much focus when I'm aware of it and I feel I don't have as much grip as I do compared to a controller with handles. Also, not every one will like looking down at the screen when they've got the big one right in front of them. Believe it or not, some people don't buy handhelds because they just don't like looking down. Plus some have mentioned on this site that sometimes the over head lights goes directly into the screen and right into their eye's.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't believe it's a bad controller.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
FizzyIzze said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
FizzyIzze said:

snip
I still need to grab Dragonborn DLC and really should join the thieves guild.

OT: I kinda wouldn't mind the motion tracker being on the pad since it would add to the tension like they would in the movie with one hand holding the tracker and the other their gun (often looking at the tracker and then spazzing out).

But I would much prefer they just add the inventory system or some form of map layout to the pad since I like the pads design in general.

Also I think I'll be getting it on the 360 first and then down the line the U version and maybe the PC version for when I grab a new gpu.
Even though I haven't finished the thieves guild missions I recommend that you do it before The Dark Brotherhood if possible. Granted, I'm kind of an achievement/trophy hunter so I'm a little burned out on Skyrim, but nothing impacted me as much as The Dark Brotherhood storyline. Yeah, I made the mistake of buying a Bethesda game for PS3 instead of 360. I actually started Skyrim again after a 6 month break because of the stupid autosave bug and the one where the game crashed every time you step in a puddle.

And you're right about the GamePad with using it for maps and inventory. That would make for a really immersive experience, possibly the best overall out of all versions.

GrimHeaper

Jun 1, 2010
Nazulu said:
As for Brawl, there were a lot of problems with both the game play and the over all design. I think most complaints came from the clunky movements and lack of combo's. I remember watching some Brawl tournament vids on Youtube and some matches took ages, with them beating themselves all the way to 300% just exchanging hits. I even noticed some of the stages actually killed them faster than themselves, and a lot of people got sick of getting stuck under the platforms in that cloud stage. Not to mention they had to stop using the super moves because how imbalanced they were. I feel that Brawl isn't a finished product, I reckon it had the potential to be one of the greatest games ever made which is unfortunate.
Watch this and feel better.

Pulse said:

Then perhaps you should actually look at the other games or expand your tastes some?
There can't just be 1 game.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
GrimHeaper said:
Nazulu said:
Watch this and feel better.
Don't need to, I've got this.

GrimHeaper said:
Pulse said:

Then perhaps you should actually look at the other games or expand your tastes some?
There can't just be 1 game.
Will you quit it! Just because some people doesn't like most of the games doesn't mean it's them just being ignorant. You're doing the same thing as before, just pissing people off. How about actually recommending games instead, you may actually make friends.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I'm curious to see what monster hunter will be like. The Wii version was pretty decent.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
GrimHeaper said:
drisky said:
The games look good but its hard to tell how they will be when they come out. Also I still don't feel the need to buy a new console, their is still a list of ps2 games I want to get too, never mind 2 generations removed form it. I need a new handheld so I might get a 3ds or Vita soon, but I have no interest in any home counsels right now. I mean I still need to finish rayman origins, then get bayonetta, Xenoblade, the frist two pikmans, and kirbys epic yarn. I have plenty of old games that I want to play and it will be years before I'm looking for a new system.
You'll have to get the 3ds because of ace attorney 5.
Oh and it having a large list of games.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games
Granted these are outdated but vita isn't getting that much support.
If I get the 3ds it will be because nintendo either owns or lisences franchinces I am very loyal to like fire emblem and Phenix Wright. If I get the Vita it will be because I like the system it self, it looks nicer and feels better in my hands. Vita is getting some support, their are still a few big jappense companies that want to do something with it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/playstation-vita-in-japan-whats-next

Sony is going to need to play it better for it to work, they got super cocky with it. They said they want it to last so I order for that to happen its going to need a price drop, a memory card price drop, Fixing the PSN on it, and putting ps2 games on psn. All of that would be a big help, it could get more people to buy the system which would have more developers support it. They could even push for ports of WiiU games, the Vita can do everything the WiiU game pad can. I'm not taking a leap of faith for it yet, but I really like the Vita and I have been pulling for its success.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
When it's lowered in price I'll get a Wii U, so some years from now. All I want is Zelda Wind Waker and Mario U. And neither of them can justify a 350-400$ console (after taxes)