Poll: After today's big reveal, are you getting a Wii U?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
GrimHeaper said:
I'll just tell ya kinect is pretty much garbage.
Complicated games don't work on it.
Sonic riders is also another bad one. If you thought waggle controls are bad ohohoho you haven't seen anything.
TheSapphireKnight said:
Nope. Not hating on nintendo but I just have not really been taken with their home consoles for a while now. While it all sounds great now its the long terms support that has always been the problem. I'm sure all of those will be solid games but I can't really justify spending the money on such old(big box technology).

I have always enjoyed their portable stuff though so I am content with my 3DS.
If you aren't into consoles and PC instead that's fine.
I tend to enjoy the portable's more than the consoles myself. They just get something more right more often.
Of coure this is the stuff I am talking about.
Blunty rants used as evidence on the Escapist? Now I really like you, I've already thrown out his Wii U review series on this very thread.

Yeah I heard Steel Battalion was like that, as for Sonic Riders... that game wasn't too h ot even without the motion control to be honest, though I do own both the PS2 iterations and find them, particularly the second one, to be enjoyable if nothing else.

It is next gen, it's just next gen in a different way, which is fine.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
GrimHeaper said:
Nazulu said:
GrimHeaper said:
Which I find funny considering the wii didn't actually have a flaw. Just people being graphic whores and not being able to adapt to very precise controls even before wii+.
Now that red ring of death that's a real flaw.
*sigh*

Well you obviously ignored every single complaint about it. I'm not even going to bother if you didn't.
Of course I did the same thing is going on with the wii U right now.
Hypocritical Nintendo hate for the most part.
Well, it's not a good look. It makes you seem as ignorant as the people you call ignorant.

SkarKrow said:
Nazulu said:
Alright, chill. I wasn't even expecting to explain any thing.

You have to except accept that not every one will agree it had the best games and that the Wii mote wasn't any thing more than a gimmick. Some of the main titles did force you to use the Wii mote and it's not a desired choice for all since it's not the type of controller you could just relax with (if you know what I mean).

If you can't do that for me then just forget it. I've had enough yelling wars on this site and I am sick of it.
I was perfectly calm, what in my post told you otherwise?.

I'm aware that not everyone will agree with that, and I can concede that some titles did force you to use a wii remote and nunchuk, but I've never encountered a game that required more than a flick of the wrist. It didn't have all the best games of the generation, it lacked things like Resistance 3 and the Arkham games, for example, but it did have some brilliant software put out in a variety of genres.

My main point was that there were plenty of good games and that the motion control is not necessarily a gimmick at all, it just has to be applied well. If everything is done via motion then you can bet your ass I won't enjoy playing the game, just like I won't enjoy a game of any depth that only uses a touch screen (for example, Phantom Hourglass).

I wasn't trying to say that the Wii was perfect, it did have shovelware in spades but it also had some brilliant games that people all too often ignore and overlook when discussing the console.

In hindsight it definately would have been for the best if the machine had shipped with a classic controller, and more of the great games had allowed for the use of different controllers. Twilight Princess in particularly should have allowed for a gamecube controller or classic controller to be used, it's the epitomy of senseless waggle, as opposed to Skyward Sword, where the motion controls were precise and intelligent.

I think Jim Sterling put it well when he said that alternative control inputs such as motion and touch surfaces are only a better option when they improve something over the traditional button or analog input. I.e. Swiping the screen to melee in Resistance Burning Skies is a pain, because it'd be faster and easier to use a button. Using motion for flying is something I dislike greatly, because I'd rather use a stick for it. Using the wii remote as a pointer in a game like Resident Evil 4 however, was beneficial, it made it easier to control and made your attacks more precise with minimal extra effort. Shaking the wii remote for a melee attack in an fps is a pain, because my hands are on the button, and it's reflexive to push the button for melee.

Red Steel 2 always frustrates me because the sword controls collide with the camera controls and for me they spoiled the experience.

(Playstation Move, now there's a gimmick.)

I'm not trying to have a yelling war with you, just an open discussion, I too despise having yelling wars on this site, it's why I've recently come to ignore any thread with "DMC" or "Devil May Cry" in the title.

I didn't intend to come over fanboyish or shouty, I apologise if I did, I just wanted to make clear that people shouldn't be totally ignorant of the entire system on preconceptions alone, they need to actually use it and seek out quality titles for it before judging it.

I also apologise for the walls of text, I'm quite good at them at the moment...

Edit: Basically, it's fine to have a prefered input, but new methods do take adjustment and people should give them a chance before writing them off entirely. Nintendo made mistakes with the Wii, they're trying not to with the Wii U, particularly in the online connectivity and control aspects.
Honestly, I just don't find it to be a normal response. You gave me surprise with that slight detailed view with Wii defence.

Yes, the Wii isn't perfect. The wii motes being the main focus, it just wasn't for every one, and even then people had all types of problems with it. Besides buying battery's or charges, a lot of people didn't find it accurate at all (Nintendo making attachments for it), or that the motions you had to make became annoying for certain games.

A friend of mine who is a really big Zelda fan only had a couple of problems with Skyward Sword, and that is was difficult for him to adjust to the motion, and for some reason the controller actually dropped out some times on him. It hardly happened to me but for some reason his Wii just hated him. Now the anger towards the Wii had risen there since many people who followed Nintendo previously actually had no hardware problems before. Like you said, it should of had more controller options sooner.

Now some of the games really ticked fans off as well. Most of the shovelware being shallow as we know it and domminating the shelves, one of the games many people actually bought the Wii for was SSB Brawl. There were two responses to this game, either you loved it for all the new features, or you were really disappointed with the game play, the restraints and the random tripping. Then there are other no no's like Other M and Mario Kart Wii, which I shouldn't have to explain.

There are other things as well, but this was a while a go now and I just can't remember it all.

Sorry for assuming you spat the dummy. I'll be back after a 8 hour sleep if you want to continue.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Nazulu said:
Honestly, I just don't find it to be a normal response. You gave me surprise with that slight detailed view with Wii defence.

Yes, the Wii isn't perfect. The wii motes being the main focus, it just wasn't for every one, and even then people had all types of problems with it. Besides buying battery's or charges, a lot of people didn't find it accurate at all (Nintendo making attachments for it), or that the motions you had to make became annoying for certain games.

A friend of mine who is a really big Zelda fan only had a couple of problems with Skyward Sword, and that is was difficult for him to adjust to the motion, and for some reason the controller actually dropped out some times on him. It hardly happened to me but for some reason his Wii just hated him. Now the anger towards the Wii had risen there since many people who followed Nintendo previously actually had no hardware problems before. Like you said, it should of had more controller options sooner.

Now some of the games really ticked fans off as well. Most of the shovelware being shallow as we know it and domminating the shelves, one of the games many people actually bought the Wii for was SSB Brawl. There were two responses to this game, either you loved it for all the new features, or you were really disappointed with the game play, the restraints and the random tripping. Then there are other no no's like Other M and Mario Kart Wii, which I shouldn't have to explain.

There are other things as well, but this was a while a go now and I just can't remember it all.

Sorry for assuming you spat the dummy. I'll be back after a 8 hour sleep if you want to continue.
My writing style is fairly heavy and assertive, so it can be easily misunderstood I guess.

I personally never experienced problems with the hardware of the wii, though my brothers wii remote often has problems connecting with the classic controller, though as I said, they really should have packed in the Classic Controller Pro from the very beginning so that developers could count on a full controller being available to the player.

And games like Twilight Princess or Resident Evil 4 should have had multiple options because they were ports with the gamecube controller support ripped out. The difference being RE4 benefitted and TP did not.

I always found the motion plus addon to be clunky and irritating, mostly because it came in a wii condom and was a pain the the ass to remove when you weren't using it, say for a sidescroller or the vitual console. For Skyward Sword I do own the limited edtition that came with a remote with motion plus built in, and I've had no issue with it aside from it gets lost in combat and has to be re-centered on the map screen, which is easy to manage as you just push the down button on the map rather than re-calibrate the entire thing.

I really enjoyed Brawl a lot and I've had a lot of fun with it, though I don't get why some characters like Mewtwo were cut at all, there was no reason to cut them, and Young Link just wasn't the same as Toon Link. There wasn't much issue I took with Brawl beyond Meta Knight was a cheap prick though. I love the story because it worked quite well, it was an 8 hour sidescrolling beat'em up platformer that you could play on the couch with a buddy, so I enjoyed it a lot.

I've yet to play Other M but I hear it's a touch mysogynistic but has good gameplay. Mario Kart Wii I kind of hate, it felt bland and slow compared to the DS rendition, with worse tracks and more obnoxious weapons. Pow blocks, lightning, blue shells, all of which are the bane of my existence in Mario Kart Wii, it's something I bore in mind constantly when I reviewed Sonic & All-Stars Transformed (which by my reckoning is now the gold standard for kart racers, it isn't a nostlagic blast, it's a classic in it's own damn right), I loathe and detest the sheer density of weapons like that in Mario Kart Wii. I had a blast last night on it with my brother and in the final quarter lap I was hit by 2 POW blocks, a Blue Shell and a lightning bolt, went from first to 8th in about 10 seconds. Ridiculous and it happened too frequently for my tastes. Whereas in Mario Kart DS we'd have 64-race super grand prix and they were a blast.

Nintendo did make some real mistakes with the Wii, but the Wii hosted some fantastic games with some great control, even thought it could sometimes take a bit of practice. People are unfortuneately dismissive of those great games and it does begin to frustrate me sometimes.

(So far as the batteries go, Microsoft was guilty of the exact same thing and I detest it. Microsoft did provide the play and charge kit but as I recall they cost as much as a controller anyway. I prefer the wired 360 controllers, no huge battery box on the back and the cord is huge (still don't like that d-pad or asymmetry).)

Thankfully Nintendo seems to have learned with the Wii U, it's got some good third party support already and some good first party titles lined up and in good time from the launch too. Not to mention the gamepad has a full suite of control inputs as well as the touch screen, so the Pro controller is much easier to integrate into games and much less of a waste of resources for developers to utilise.

Time will tell but for now it's shaping up like they've learned from their mistakes, and there's enough coming for me to put down my money, in 5 years we can have a discussion on whether the Wii U worked out well, but I think the new approach they're taking will pay off for Nintendo and gamers alike so long as they don't forget their lessons from the Wii and Game Cube.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Can you add a 'No, but I wish I could,' option, because that's the exact boat I'm in at the moment.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
el snippo
jackpackage200 said:
IF that is the case (no website seems to know what type of game this is even going to be; I assumed fighter due to the description on Joystick but I suppose it doesn't actually say one way or another) I will be keeping a closer eye on the Wii U.

One game alone won't be enough but if Nintendo keeps this up, they may persuade me to give them another chance after the Wii broke my heart...
You probably know this by now but it has been announced to be an RPG http://mynintendonews.com/2013/01/24/atlus-and-nintendos-wii-u-crossover-title-is-an-rpg/

Pulse

Nov 16, 2012
Bayonetta 2....why so exclusive?

Can't justify getting a whole console for one game (no matter how good it is).

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Pulse said:

Halo,Killzone,Gears and god of war why so exclusive?.

GrimHeaper said:
Linking Blunty and I haven't seen that guy in ages and that gets an insta fave from me.

Really I just wish the people who click no on this poll and then proceed to shit on the U would just go spend their time doing something a little more positive and more productive.

Then again I feel if it gets worse on here for Nintendo hate I'll just go shit on the PS4 and 720 threads because an eye for an eye makes everyone blind.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
The last time I dealt with a crappy controller for the games was N64...but I didn't BUY the thing, just went to a friend's house. You can have the best games in the world, but unless I can use an honest-to-God controller, leave me the hell alone...

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
I've already got a Wii U Deluxe Edition, so I'm all set for when the goods come out! I actually don't mind the GamePad. I like it more than the Pro Controller, at least. I like them both, but on the Pro Controller, the buttons are so close that when I move my thumb down to hit the buttons, I'm actually going too far and not hitting them at all. That, or not far enough. It'll take some getting used to having the sticks and buttons flipped, being so used to a PS3 controller.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Pulse said:

Halo,Killzone,Gears and god of war why so exclusive?.
Was that a point against the guy? Because I don't get it. Other consoles have exclusives, yes. So people shouldn't complain that they they wan't to play one game on a system, but they don't want to buy the system? I don't get how those are linked. It's like if you said you want to play the new Ratchet and Clank game, but you don't want to buy a PS3. Then I say well you have Gears of War so don't complain. So fucking what? Gears of War is not Ratchet and Clank.

There are exclusives for every console, yeah. But that has nothing to do with someone wanting to play a game that is exclusive to a console they don't want to buy.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Seracen said:
The last time I dealt with a crappy controller for the games was N64...but I didn't BUY the thing, just went to a friend's house. You can have the best games in the world, but unless I can use an honest-to-God controller, leave me the hell alone...
I don't understand this argument. I really don't.

The Gamepad isn't a Wiimote. It's an actual controller. It has dual analogue sticks, a D-pad, face buttons, triggers, start/select buttons... in fact, it has everything you'd expect from a normal controller.

Look at all those tactile, non-motion control buttons...

The only difference is that it has a touchscreen as well as the usual compliment of buttons. A touchscreen which can only serve to add potential to games, not take it away.

Now, the usual response here is to go "Oh, but normal controllers are fine as they are" but think about it: they're not. They're really not.

There's this assumption amongst a certain sect of gamers that console controllers as they are now are perfect for everything, but that's completely untrue. Standard controllers are good for certain genres, and thus the majority of games on console within those genres use the controllers well. But there are just as many games which play absolutely fucking awful with a standard PS360 controller.

Think about it: when was the last time you played an honest-to-god RTS on a console? Even better, when was the last time you played a proper RTS that controlled just as well as its PC counterparts on a console? The answer? You didn't. RTS games have always been gimped on consoles. Analogue sticks simply don't offer the same degree of control as a mouse, and that degree of control is vital to the RTS genre.

But you know what does offer a similar, if not identical level of control to a mouse? A touchscreen. Kind of like the one the Wii U includes in its Gamepad. Which means theoretically, developers could start making RTS games for the Wii U that actually don't control like crap. Wouldn't that be something. Imagine being able to use your touchscreen to scroll around your base, lay buildings exactly where and how you want them, select and position troops exactly how you want to, target enemies in exactly the fashion you want to... how is having that potential a bad thing?

Seriously, when did gamers become so close-minded that anything outside of the norm, no matter how flawed the norm is, is instantly seen as a bad thing?
I'm not insulting anybody who likes the controller, and honestly, I'm open to anything if it actually improves my gameplay experience. Yes, I play RTS on PC, not console. HOWEVER, as I always say, there's no accounting for taste. People will like what they like.

Personally, I prefer a controller that feels comfortable, one that DOESN'T cause me physical pain. Honestly, it's unwieldy. I wish Nintendo well, but as I said, it's not my personal preference. No offense is intended, and I wish you well, but please refrain from throwing the "close-minded" epithet at me.

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
No, I will keep an eye on the next X game and the Persona x Fire Emblem game but I'm just not a huge fan of Ninty's staple games. I did however just buy a 3ds because that line up is looking delicious to me.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Yeah none of those games interest me, and to be honest, only the barest handful I would even recognise as interesting games by reputation. The rest are franchise run offs or rereleases. Fire Emblem is good, Resident Evil less so

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Jove said:
-Resident Evil Revelations (If you actually think Capcom is going to release a good or even decent Resident Evil game for the first time since Resident Evil 4, I feel sorry for you)
RE: Revelations is already out on 3DS and is generally considered pretty good. Chris' missions aside, it's actually survival horror and can get pretty tense at times. The general tone and atmosphere of the game is actually much closer to RE2 or RE3 than any of the more recent games, even if it does use RE4's over-the-shoulder cam.

It's also being ported to the 360, PS3 and PC so it's still not a very good reason to buy a Wii U.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
GrimHeaper said:
That can't be a strategy game it has an x hurr durr
well, in their defense
the only non-fighter crossover wasn't exactly very popular really (Namco X Capcom)