Poll: Any multi-instrumentalists with us on the escapist? + Best instrument ever! poll

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
Bass guitar, Drum set and assorted percussion instruments, and currently working on learning the Chapman Stick.

And for people who've never heard of this wonderful instrument, its basically a Bass and a Guitar smushed together.

Shynobee

Apr 16, 2009
Horticulture said:
I can play bass (electric), guitar, and trumpet.

I'd really love to learn how to play the Chapman Stick
Oh dude, I literally just started to learn to play it, and it is AWESOME!!!

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
I play guitar pretty well, and I can handle the piano if it doesn't get too complicated.
Worthless at drumming, but I suppose I could handle a base guitar.

Also, Harmonica is the best instrument :D

Kif

Jun 2, 2009
Somehow I guessed the electric guitar would be the favorite around here... it's so easy it's almost difficult to make it sound bad. It's quite surprising how many people who play and started learning on electric guitar rather than acoustic cannot read music or even play a barre chord.

I started on piano, moved to guitar, moved to bass and recently have been dabbling in the harmonica and for funsies bongos, this room may as well be a music studio for all the instruments that are in it.

I voted for piano because even if you're not great at it (i.e. Coldplay) you just need 3 or 4 chords to make a half decent tune. Though personally I prefer playing Bach or Chopin.

In fact, here's a little help for anyone who is starting out on piano, 2 very easy but beautiful songs to play. Bach Praeludium 1, and Beethoven Moonlight Sonata.

Horticulture

Feb 27, 2009
Dauntlessidiot said:
that is the second wierdest instrument I have ever seen in my enture life
Dare I ask what the weirdest is?

Shynobee said:
Oh dude, I literally just started to learn to play it, and it is AWESOME!!!
Sweet. I've never had the chance to play one, myself. Are you finding it hard to move from bass to stick?

Kif said:
It's quite surprising how many people who play and started learning on electric guitar rather than acoustic cannot read music or even play a barre chord.
You might appreciate this:

though he might have started on spanish guitar. Something tells me he's classically trained.

Dauntlessidiot

Crazed Obsessive Musician
Oct 26, 2008
Shynobee said:
Bass guitar, Drum set and assorted percussion instruments, and currently working on learning the Chapman Stick.

And for people who've never heard of this wonderful instrument, its basically a Bass and a Guitar smushed together.
I have suddenly decide I want to play the chapman stick.
Where in the UK can I get one?
(ive looked on ebay, local music stores, and google product search, and I can't find one)

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Piano, Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Ukulele & The triangle.

At various levels of skill.

Srkkl

Apr 1, 2009
Drums and I dabble in guitar, not very good yet though. Also wheres the drums choice on the poll?(I like the glorifyed whistles joke though)

Jun 11, 2008
Dauntlessidiot said:
Singularly Datarific said:
I take it you're a string player...
:D

Anyways, I go for Trombone, which, by definition, is NOT a whistle, those are the woodwinds, even then I only don't love the recorder from there.

Exactly the opinions in the youth orchestra I play in. In the srings section its like a strange bunch of people with unnecarily flashy whistles have shown up and decided to play out of tune, and FAR TOOO LOUD, but I'm sure in the wind/brass section they think that we are just sawing constantly into some wood and not making any progress or something along thse lines. the winds/brass made a hash of jupiter at our last concert, the strings got every note right, but the winds/brass were dismal
Yes well with the immortal words of me at every single concert band practise deal with your own section if the Clarinets get something wrong we'll deal with it and if the Flutes get something you deal with it etc.
Although congratulation for doing it well I don't know what arrangement you have but I think Mars is the best.

OT: I can play the Clarinet and by extension Saxophone as fingering is same and Guitar and I suppose if you wanna include it recorder.

Dauntlessidiot

Oct 26, 2008
Kif said:
I started on piano, moved to guitar, moved to bass and recently have been dabbling in the harmonica and for funsies bongos, this room may as well be a music studio for all the instruments that are in it.
My room is getting like that, but is also overrun with computer parts aswell as sheet music, and instruments, my home-made 3/4 surround suond system that doubles up as a cello/guitar/bass amp and a twisted piece of metal that I shamefully call a music stand.

Dauntlessidiot

Oct 26, 2008
Horticulture said:
Dauntlessidiot said:
that is the second wierdest instrument I have ever seen in my enture life
Dare I ask what the weirdest is?
this:
the bowafridgeaphone (bow-a-fridge-a-phone)
http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om06800.html

I WANT ONE!

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Glademaster said:
Dauntlessidiot said:

Anyways, I go for Trombone, which, by definition, is NOT a whistle, those are the woodwinds, even then I only don't love the recorder from there.

Exactly the opinions in the youth orchestra I play in. In the srings section its like a strange bunch of people with unnecarily flashy whistles have shown up and decided to play out of tune, and FAR TOOO LOUD, but I'm sure in the wind/brass section they think that we are just sawing constantly into some wood and not making any progress or something along thse lines. the winds/brass made a hash of jupiter at our last concert, the strings got every note right, but the winds/brass were dismal
Yes well with the immortal words of me at every single concert band practise deal with your own section if the Clarinets get something wrong we'll deal with it and if the Flutes get something you deal with it etc.
Although congratulation for doing it well I don't know what arrangement you have but I think Mars is the best.

OT: I can play the Clarinet and by extension Saxophone as fingering is same and Guitar and I suppose if you wanna include it recorder.
Ummmmmm........
No it's not.
Saxophones are wildly different than clarinets. If you just went and picked one up right now I would bet my house it would sound horrid.

Jun 11, 2008
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Dauntlessidiot said:

Ummmmmm........
No it's not.
Saxophones are wildly different than clarinets. If you just went and picked one up right now I would bet my house it would sound horrid.
Not for the whole range but for a section it is and I have played it a bit so it would sound horrid just not masterful so I do know what I am doing(to an extent) I am not just saying it I have played one.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Dauntlessidiot said:

Ummmmmm........
No it's not.
Not for the whole range but for a section it is and I have played it a bit so it would sound horrid just not masterful so I do know what I am doing(to an extent) I am not just saying it I have played one.
I can also guarantee that you do not know what you're doing, any more than I would if I decided I knew how to play clarinet.
(Which I don't.)

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Every member of my favorite band can play at least 2 instruments AND vocals. Their instruments are electric guitar, bass, drums, piano/organ and violin. Cookie for who guesses the band.

Dauntlessidiot

Oct 26, 2008
rockingnic said:
Every member of my favorite band can play at least 2 instruments AND vocals. Their instruments are electric guitar, bass, drums, piano/organ and violin. Cookie for who guesses the band.
if i guess the band, how will I recieve said cookie?

haah, find ur way outta that one...

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Dauntlessidiot said:
I play several instruments, like the cello (foremostly), violin, viola, bass guitar and acoustic guitar,
sooooo basically, the exact same instrument in different sizes? :D yep, okay.

My "glorified whistles" are just second on your poll, if you'd kindly take a look at it, and I personally happen to play French Horn, and Mellophonium (yay jazz!). And I'm a vocalist.

But i do rather enjoy the sound of a lone string instrument, as compared to a lone brass. ;P So I'll give ya that one. (Also, Piano pwns faic, IMO)