Poll: Any multi-instrumentalists with us on the escapist? + Best instrument ever! poll

Dauntlessidiot

Crazed Obsessive Musician
Oct 26, 2008
ObsessiveSketch said:
Dauntlessidiot said:
I play several instruments, like the cello (foremostly), violin, viola, bass guitar and acoustic guitar,
sooooo basically, the exact same instrument in different sizes? :D yep, okay.

My "glorified whistles" are just second on your poll, if you'd kindly take a look at it, and I personally happen to play French Horn, and Mellophonium (yay jazz!). And I'm a vocalist.

But i do rather enjoy the sound of a lone string instrument, as compared to a lone brass. ;P So I'll give ya that one. (Also, Piano pwns faic, IMO)
just one thing:
A cello has a higher note range than any of your glorified whistles, i'd like you to come upwith one mainstream glorified whistle that has this range:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Range_cello.png

If you do, you get a cookie.

Jun 11, 2008
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Dauntlessidiot said:
Singularly Datarific said:
I take it you're a string player...
:D

Anyways, I go for Trombone, which, by definition, is NOT a whistle, those are the woodwinds, even then I only don't love the recorder from there.

Exactly the opinions in the youth orchestra I play in. In the srings section its like a strange bunch of people with unnecarily flashy whistles have shown up and decided to play out of tune, and FAR TOOO LOUD, but I'm sure in the wind/brass section they think that we are just sawing constantly into some wood and not making any progress or something along thse lines. the winds/brass made a hash of jupiter at our last concert, the strings got every note right, but the winds/brass were dismal
Yes well with the immortal words of me at every single concert band practise deal with your own section if the Clarinets get something wrong we'll deal with it and if the Flutes get something you deal with it etc.
Although congratulation for doing it well I don't know what arrangement you have but I think Mars is the best.

OT: I can play the Clarinet and by extension Saxophone as fingering is same and Guitar and I suppose if you wanna include it recorder.
Ummmmmm........
No it's not.
Saxophones are wildly different than clarinets. If you just went and picked one up right now I would bet my house it would sound horrid.
Not for the whole range but for a section it is and I have played it a bit so it would sound horrid just not masterful so I do know what I am doing(to an extent) I am not just saying it I have played one.
I can also guarantee that you do not know what you're doing, any more than I would if I decided I knew how to play clarinet.
(Which I don't.)
Not completely no but part of the range of notes is the same. The range I am talking about is for the clarinet's second octave.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Dauntlessidiot said:

Anyways, I go for Trombone, which, by definition, is NOT a whistle, those are the woodwinds, even then I only don't love the recorder from there.

Exactly the opinions in the youth orchestra I play in. In the srings section its like a strange bunch of people with unnecarily flashy whistles have shown up and decided to play out of tune, and FAR TOOO LOUD, but I'm sure in the wind/brass section they think that we are just sawing constantly into some wood and not making any progress or something along thse lines. the winds/brass made a hash of jupiter at our last concert, the strings got every note right, but the winds/brass were dismal
Yes well with the immortal words of me at every single concert band practise deal with your own section if the Clarinets get something wrong we'll deal with it and if the Flutes get something you deal with it etc.
Although congratulation for doing it well I don't know what arrangement you have but I think Mars is the best.

OT: I can play the Clarinet and by extension Saxophone as fingering is same and Guitar and I suppose if you wanna include it recorder.
Ummmmmm........
No it's not.
Saxophones are wildly different than clarinets. If you just went and picked one up right now I would bet my house it would sound horrid.
Not for the whole range but for a section it is and I have played it a bit so it would sound horrid just not masterful so I do know what I am doing(to an extent) I am not just saying it I have played one.
I can also guarantee that you do not know what you're doing, any more than I would if I decided I knew how to play clarinet.
(Which I don't.)
Not completely no but part of the range of notes is the same. The range I am talking about is for the clarinet's second octave.
Right.
But everything else is very different.

Jun 11, 2008
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Dauntlessidiot said:

Ummmmmm........
No it's not.
(Which I don't.)
Right.
Well fine yes that is all I was say that they have the same fingering for a certain range I never said they were the same instrument and can just pick up one and automatically which to other without ever having played it that is not what I was saying.

As I have actually played a bit of sax just haven't had time to take it up properly.

Dauntlessidiot

Oct 26, 2008
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Dauntlessidiot said:

Ummmmmm........
No it's not.
(Which I don't.)
Right.
Well fine yes that is all I was say that they have the same fingering for a certain range I never said they were the same instrument and can just pick up one and automatically which to other without ever having played it that is not what I was saying.

As I have actually played a bit of sax just haven't had time to take it up properly.
jesus, this has been going on for ages now....

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
Dauntlessidiot said:
Disaster Button said:
Synthesizer and Keyboard should totally be on that poll.
that comesunder piano
Assuming you mean keyboard. Not really, no. I mean if it comes down to it then it'd have to, but they're easily different enough for a keyboard to be its own instrument.

Jun 11, 2008
Dauntlessidiot said:
ObsessiveSketch said:
Dauntlessidiot said:
I play several instruments, like the cello (foremostly), violin, viola, bass guitar and acoustic guitar,
sooooo basically, the exact same instrument in different sizes? :D yep, okay.

My "glorified whistles" are just second on your poll, if you'd kindly take a look at it, and I personally happen to play French Horn, and Mellophonium (yay jazz!). And I'm a vocalist.

But i do rather enjoy the sound of a lone string instrument, as compared to a lone brass. ;P So I'll give ya that one. (Also, Piano pwns faic, IMO)
just one thing:
A cello has a higher note range than any of your glorified whistles, i'd like you to come upwith one mainstream glorified whistle that has this range:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Range_cello.png

If you do, you get a cookie.
Bass Clarinet, Trombone and Horn off the top of my head. Ah nevermind I miss the 15ma.

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
I sing in choir and play piano. But I voted violin, chiefly because I am in love with the Scheherezade solo. <3

also WHO VOTED VIOLA AS THE BEST INSTRUMENT? o_o!

Dauntlessidiot

Oct 26, 2008
I would have been more specific on the pole ifI could, but it only allowsalimited amount of options, so i had to be vague
[meant to quote DisasterButton who gave the valid point that a keyboard is different to a piano quote button decided not to work]

Jun 11, 2008
Dauntlessidiot said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Dauntlessidiot said:

Ummmmmm........
No it's not.
(Which I don't.)
Right.

Ye well it was fun atleast it was a clean arguement.

Dauntlessidiot

Oct 26, 2008
Glademaster said:
Dauntlessidiot said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Berethond said:
Glademaster said:
Dauntlessidiot said:

Ummmmmm........
No it's not.
(Which I don't.)
Right.

Ye well it was fun atleast it was a clean arguement.
I have to grant u that, u dont really get long arguments without them turning into full on fights

Trafs

Oct 14, 2009
Florion said:
I sing in choir and play piano. But I voted violin, chiefly because I am in love with the Scheherezade solo. <3

ME. SCREW YOU!
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV SUCKS

(I'm a Viola Player :3)

EDIT: by the way, to whoever was arguing about range: the French Horn has a larger accessible range than the Cello. As does the piano, harp, and guitar. But then, range means nothing, really.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Only play bass guitar here lol. Sometimes backup vocals.

I love playing it though because its really straight forward

Florion

Dec 7, 2008
Trafs said:
Florion said:

ME. SCREW YOU!
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV SUCKS

(I'm a Viola Player :3)

EDIT: by the way, to whoever was arguing about range: the French Horn has a larger accessible range than the Cello. As does the piano, harp, and guitar. But then, range means nothing, really.
GAAAASP YOU DID NOT JUST DISS RIMSKY-KORSAKOV. But you did own up to it, so I suppose you are a worthy opponent. BUT BACK TO YELLING! HOW DID YOU BECOME A VIOLIST?

PlainTwo

Aug 15, 2009
Drums and Bass, also I just started playing Electric Guitar.

I also used to play the Trumpet and Baritone, but have forgotten how to play them.