Poll: Are We Entitled?

WoahDan

Sep 7, 2011
We aren't owed anything, but if the developers/publishers are smart they will give us what we want anyway because capitalism.

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
We're entitled to a game that isn't broken. This can include, but is not quite limited to:

Great big glitches that can happen even if you have fore-knowledge. Worse if they're glitches that completely break the game and you have to start over.

Piss-poor control layout (e.g., shooting and turning both done by a thumb on a controller). More commonly, poor character control makes for a game that's harder than it needs to be. And this leads us very nicely to...

Artificial difficulty. Enemies hitting too hard and/or too fast, while you don't have the means to dodge or defend. Maybe I just really suck at Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, but I'm getting knocked around way too much, for way too much damage.
In the same thread of thought, we have artificial stupidity. Getting the AI to behave can't be easy, but when we have allies and enemies running into walls, that's just kinda sad.

Also, we're entitled to not getting fleeced.

I'm going to completely ignore the Mass Effect 3 shtick going on for just a moment. Instead, I'm going to point out a racing game from just a few years ago. The game in question shipped with the absolute bare minimum of content, with virtually everything else being available via micro-transfer DLC. The problem being that the total cost of this DLC was over $1,000. Classy.

Let's get back to ME3. Okay, the From Ashes content was completed after the rest of the game was certified. I guess it was too late to get it on the disc. Why are we still paying for it? From Ashes is content that is so steeped in Mass Effect lore, to NOT have it alongside the game kinda takes away from Bioware's good reputation for superb story-telling.
But that's a sentimental argument, isn't it? Let's try something a little more pragmatic. I just double-checked, From Ashes is going to be available separate from the collector's edition for $10. Just a little much for my liking, given all the swag the CE has beside From Ashes, but I'll let it slide. However, the price, coupled with the sentimentality, and EA's tendency for actions that generally annoy gamers, and suddenly the fandom's entitlement outrage becomes a little more rational.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
lacktheknack said:
Zeel said:
lacktheknack said:
Yes. Yes we are.

See: The "Give Moar Updates" Minecraft DDOS. See also: Piracy. See also: human nature.
to be fair; piracy is about convenience not entitlement. No one thinks they deserve a game free. Atleast the majority don't.
EVERY SINGLE PIRATE I know in real life does.

"Hell no, I'm not paying for that. I'm gonna download it, that's free."

Entitlement at its finest.
Every and single is redundant. Use one or the other, not both. Unless you know a few double pirates?

So how many pirates do you know?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Crono1973 said:
lacktheknack said:
Zeel said:
lacktheknack said:
Yes. Yes we are.

See: The "Give Moar Updates" Minecraft DDOS. See also: Piracy. See also: human nature.
to be fair; piracy is about convenience not entitlement. No one thinks they deserve a game free. Atleast the majority don't.

Every and single is redundant. Use one or the other, not both. Unless you know a few double pirates?

Maybe I was talking about pirates with no boy/girlfriend.

I know eight or nine. They make me sad.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Mafoobula said:
I'm going to point out a racing game from just a few years ago. The game in question shipped with the absolute bare minimum of content, with virtually everything else being available via micro-transfer DLC. The problem being that the total cost of this DLC was over $1,000. Classy.
Still not as amazing as this. Open the DLC tab and weep.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
lacktheknack said:
Crono1973 said:
lacktheknack said:
Zeel said:
lacktheknack said:
Yes. Yes we are.

Maybe I was talking about pirates with no boy/girlfriend.

I know eight or nine. They make me sad.
Oh, so do you know any married/engaged/spoken for pirates?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
lacktheknack said:
Mafoobula said:
I'm going to point out a racing game from just a few years ago. The game in question shipped with the absolute bare minimum of content, with virtually everything else being available via micro-transfer DLC. The problem being that the total cost of this DLC was over $1,000. Classy.
That's worse than a Sims game.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Yes, which kinda wrecks my first defense, doesn't it? :p

Crono1973 said:
lacktheknack said:
It's even worse when you realize that it's exactly what you think it is... you drive trains. That is all.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
lacktheknack said:
Crono1973 said:
Yes, which kinda wrecks my first defense, doesn't it? :p

Crono1973 said:
lacktheknack said:
It's even worse when you realize that it's exactly what you think it is... you drive trains. That is all.
Things like this give DLC the bad name that it has. I hope no one spent $1700 to drive trains.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Vegosiux said:
n00beffect said:
I do realize that developers and publishers alike, are all money-hungry, ruthless, utterly-depraved-of-standards... HUMAN BEINGS. Yes, exactly, they're human beings, just like you, and me, and your mom.
Yet some publishers are acting less screwy while some more. So, that somehow tells me they're human beings...DIFFERENT human beings.

We're no different...
Yes, we are. We're different human beings.

and YOU wouldn't do anything different if you were in their position.
And you do not know that.
No, but I can fathom a bloody guess. What makes you think you are, or indeed, would be that different? Do you have some inherant hatered towards money and success? I don't think so... Just because now you're on the recieving end of the transaction, is that what makes you so enlightened? Actually, yes; however, if you weren't, then you probably wouldn't think twice before releasing d1DLC.

And don't get me wrong, I am not saying you would do everything exactly the same way, all I am saying is it'll probably be within the same constraints, as in trying to squeeze as much money, without actually putting too much into it.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
n00beffect said:
This is the point where I politely request that you do not make assumptions about how I would or would not act in a given situation. I believe myself to be better qualified to make that judgement than someone whose entire position depends on whether or not they're right about what they think about what I'd do.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Thoric485 said:
I can't fathom why people rush to the defence of a studio-destroyer like EA.
Because, news flash, not everyone thinks that they are the devil incarnate.

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
Toilet said:
As far as I am concerned I see why people pirate games we deserve better, companies do not deserve or earn our money it is a trade of goods and sometimes the goods aren't worth the price.
If you think the game is bad, why would you be so interested in playing it that you would pirate it?

Just to make it clear, I think the industry needs to improve, and I won't be buying Mass Effect 3. But that's the extent of my rights. It's their product, and they can charge whatever they like, and unless I pay what they ask I'm not entitled to their product. It sucks that I won't be able to see the conclusion to a series I love, but I have principles.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Zeel said:
erttheking said:
Thoric485 said:
I can't fathom why people rush to the defence of a studio-destroyer like EA.
Because, news flash, not everyone thinks that they are the devil incarnate.
then they are misinformed. Look at all these companies they bought:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Electronic_Arts

Thats about 38 studios bought in 20 years. How much are still running? Eight.

Go check for yourself, click a studio, investigate them. notice what happens "STUDIO THAT MAKES GREAT GAMES GETS BOUGHT BY EA. EA RUSH THE GAMES, it doesnt sell well, EA closes down studio. Only absoring a "few key players"

it's a disgusting tactic. By out the opposition, pilfer their talented workers and repeat. Honestly, I dont know how long Bioware will last.
Believe it or not, THIS IS WHAT COMPANIES DO. It's how buisness works. If the companies didn't want to be bought, then they wouldn't have been bought. They were selling themselves, and EA was buying. That's the entire concept of Stock Trading.

You make it sound like EA is going around deliberately buying out these companies just to shut them down. What makes you think they'd last without EA's funding? Do you sit on the board for all these poor, pitiful companies? Heck, even Bioware must have had something to gain from EA purchase, or they would not have sold themselves. Do I feel bad for the people who get fired if their company goes under? Sure, but that's life. Whether a parent company breaks them up, or they go under do to their own failure, what does it matter? If you make bad games, you lose. Its a risk/reward system; the very nature of capitalism.

And before you start in with the "Fewer companies means worse games!" remember, EA (and others) tend to keep around the employees that show the most potential. So the people who made all the games you love? They are still making games. It's the employees, not the company name.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Ordinaryundone said:
Believe it or not, THIS IS WHAT COMPANIES DO. It's how buisness works. If the companies didn't want to be bought, then they wouldn't have been bought. They were selling themselves, and EA was buying. That's the entire concept of Stock Trading.
Yes, and some of us simply want that cancer to not affect what the games we want to play end up being. But it's easy enough for me, I simpy pass up on such stuff *shrug*

Still sad and disappointed when it happens tho.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Vegosiux said:
Ordinaryundone said:
Yes, and some of us simply want that cancer to not affect what the games we want to play end up being. But it's easy enough for me, I simpy pass up on such stuff *shrug*

Still sad and disappointed when it happens tho.
It happens in every industry. Idealism never, ever overcomes profit and the end of the day. Which is the way it SHOULD be, honestly. Artists are a notoriously fickle and unproductive group of people. Publishers aren't just there to fund them, they are there to keep them focused, and working towards a product that people will actually buy.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Ordinaryundone said:
It happens in every industry. Idealism never, ever overcomes profit and the end of the day. Which is the way it SHOULD be, honestly. Artists are a notoriously fickle and unproductive group of people. Publishers aren't just there to fund them, they are there to keep them focused, and working towards a product that people will actually buy.
Well it'd be nice if they worked towards a product I'd actually buy, yes. I'm not saying idealism is the way to go, but shoehorning current FOTM elements into everything ("Multiplayer makes money! Add multiplayer!") isn't either.

As far as ME3 is concerned, I hoped for a quality SP RPG experience, not an action/shooter with "optional MP element developed by a different team" when said team could have been working on more SP experience for the resources allocated to them. And that's just one of my gripes.

In the end I'm getting my money's worth still - no game for no money. Sucks, but that's the way I'm going to make it unless some of my gripes are resolved with future updates.