Poll: Are you a feminist?

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
Flames66 said:
You make an interesting point. On the religion bit, I do not consider myself an atheist because I am undecided about my spiritual beliefs.

As for the other point, I can see where you are coming from, it depends how you define the word.

~~Definitions~~

I tend to think of a feminist being someone who actively advocates feminism, rather than someone who just thinks rights should be equal for everyone.
That's perfectly understandable. Personally I think Agnostic Atheism (what you're describing) is the only defensible position - belief is withheld until evidence is presented, while acknowledging the possibility of such evidence existing. It's atheism with a very good reason behind it.

Similarly I can't really argue with the feminist=activist idea - honestly the word does have an implicit bias that would probably imply more than equality if indeed equality were the status quo.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
mrhateful said:
This, Its easy for people in our day and age to want everyone to be equal I mean its the driving force behind communism, what we forget is that we are not all the same. For instance in Denmark there used to be a rule that a woman could stay home with her child some time after birth and still get paid now that rule applies to males as well which is kinda ridicules.
You're against paternity leave? How come?
Most blokes I know are all in favour of it. In fact pretty much all of them are, so I'm interested in finding out why someone wouldn't be.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Well judging off the Oxford English Dictionary Online definition I am, although my deviantART page probably would have femininist think I'm a misogynist.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
mrhateful said:
Jamash said:
Not really.

While I try to be fair to everyone regardless of things like gender or race, I'm too pragmatic to believe in complete equality.

I see Humans as a collection of similar, yet ultimately different people, which isn't a bad thing because it's these differences and variety that makes mankind wonderful, but I recognise that different people have different strengths and weaknesses.

Some of these differences are due to physical traits, some are due to learned behaviours or skills, but ultimately I can't believe in or advocate complete, unbiased equality when in any given situation, it would be impractical not to favour the most capable person for that situation.

It's because my outlook could be possibly be (mis)interpreted as sexist, misogynistic or prejudiced in some other way that I can't make any claim to being a Feminist.
This, Its easy for people in our day and age to want everyone to be equal I mean its the driving force behind communism, what we forget is that we are not all the same. For instance in Denmark there used to be a rule that a woman could stay home with her child some time after birth and still get paid now that rule applies to males as well which is kinda ridicules.
Why is it ridiculous? Are fathers not as "special" as mothers?

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
Bocaj2000 said:
willsham45 said:
Men and Women are different! We think different, we act different, We are different. So you cannot measure set facts and really use them as evidence for women being out done in every way by men.

Example Pay, More men take the dangerous, undesirable work and generally favour connivance over comforts. Women the opposite generally going for comfort, easy commute, benefits etc. over money. And guess what because of that men get paid more on average. Of cause this is very generalised and of cause you will give cross overs, but for the Moriarty this is the case.

Men get shat on when it comes to devour and child custody.

And Women generally get less jail time than men for the same crimes.

So all in all I think the equal rights thing is done and does not need to go further, Well for the most part I feel it probably just needs to be balanced a bit to make it easier for the lesser downfalls on both sides.
One word: culture. It teaches women that dainty is desirable and it teaches men that being a badass is awesome. This isn't genetic.
Yes and No, A lot of it is environment but it is in our genetics that men protect women and women self preserve themselves. A woman who could get a man to do the hunting was the one who had the most viable babies. That is why it was/ is always women and children first men are seen as the disposable ones.

Only now things are less hostile. There are a lot more viable babies thinks to health, equality has drought men and women on to the same plane for better or worce. So now it seems to me while yes women should be able to vote also have to sigh up to any drafts for war if any come up.

What I do not get is if women are so oppressed why do they make up the largest consumer base?
And if women are paid so much less because of gender why do places not just employ women it makes sense they are paid less why pay more for a man?

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
No, I can't rightly say that I'm "feminist" because I'm an egalitarian. Feminism implies favouring female rights - and when men and women are completely equal legally, such a term could be used to the detriment of males. Egalitarianism should champion the rights of neither sex over the other, and grant no special privileges or recompense for past wrongs. Only the present and future matter.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
No, because I don't feel the need to support something that already exists. Its like supporting our right to blink.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Yes, I am a Feminist, I do not support feminists who don't support equality for both sexes and I was a part of a feminist forum for a few years before I left because every time I made a post my opinion wasn't welcome because I am a white upper-middle class male (atheist, gamer).
My opinions aren't based off of my situation, and it took me a while to figure out why (the newly growing active) part of the forum seemed to flatly ignore and shun my opinions.
Despite that, I still am a feminist, I just think that the people who act in that manner are arseholes, and the people who identify as feminists whilst being misandrist aren't doing themselves or anyone else any favours.

Also, the "tumblr feminists" are really annoying too. If you hold an opinion, please think it through before you spread it around your circles blindly and loudly.

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
I'm definitely a feminist. It's something I haven't really known much about until recently but despite MASSIVE strides towards equality it sadly isn't so yet. I find it sad that I have to explain myself when I say that I'm a feminist, however, since the word has so much negative baggage that saying you're a feminist is often like saying you're a crazy man-hating witch.

Phasmal said:
I can't stop people saying they are `x` but I can determine through their behaviour whether they are a good example or a terrible one.
There are nutters in every group, doesn't mean I stop associating with them.
There are crazy women, I still call myself a woman, cause it's what I am. ;)
You put it so much better than I could have done. Yes, some feminists DO spew misandry and hate, but not all, and none that I've ever met. Instead of distancing ourselves from the title because of all the negative connotations, we should be hanging onto it stronger and making sure people understand the true meaning.

I also hate the argument that we shouldn't support equality for women, we should just support equality for everybody. That's like saying you shouldn't support animal right's charities because what about all the poor plants! and microscopic organisms! and rocks! I want equal rights for everybody - part of that means that I'm a feminist.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
This thread is (mostly) men arguing (mostly) men about women's rights.

What's worse, this thread is (mostly) men who have skewed opinions of feminism and have (mostly) never been discriminated against in their lives arguing (mostly) men who somewhat understand what feminism is and keep using flawed arguments to explain their opinions about women's rights.

This very thread is the proof of feminism still being very much needed in our society.

As a woman, I am a feminist, because thanks to feminism I have a right to vote, to go to college and to write this message on this site. That doesn't stop me from being a humanist or whatever you people call yourselves. Being for everyone's rights goes without saying, but you cannot fight for anyone's rights by simply claiming you believe we all deserve them. Yes, we do. Some more than others (for example, in today's society, homosexual people have more problems than women, and women have more problems than men). That's why there are specific groups fighting for specific rights and they are a part of a whole. Gay rights activists don't fight against feminists, they both fight for the same goal. Basically, it's like saying that you want world peace; that's a nice sentiment, but you will not achieve world peace without first addressing specific problems and solving them (world peace will not be achieved prior to achieving peace in the Near East for example. Should people that deal with Near East problems be yelled at for focusing only on one area?). In order to achieve the final goal (equality for all), you must solve the smaller goals first (equality for women, for homosexuals, for animals/plants/fungi/whatever). Therefore, feminism (and other -isms. Including -isms regarding rights for men, if you feel that men have a lack of certain rights). Example:

FelixG said:
I too am curious as to why it is ridiculous. Why shouldnt a father have all the same rights as the mother in such things? What if mommy wants to return to her job and daddy wants to stay home and spend time with their new offspring?
I agree with this. Why shouldn't the father have this luxury? However, people must understand, this inequality is not due to feminism, it's due to the society that teaches us that women are here to take care of babies and homes and men are here to make money. This is exactly the type of thinking that feminism fights against.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
I guess I think it's fair to treat both sexes the same: by being excellent to one another. [ding!] I don't think either should be more important than the other; women carry our babies, though we provide a part of what those are made of. *Maybe* women should have some rights that men don't have, and vice versa. I don't really know.

As to advocating it, well, I'm not really a vocal supporter of much.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Not really. I support equality of both sexes, but the term has been misused by so many people that claim to be such and focus on the trivial things and attack stuff on trivial stances and don't do proper research.

Then informed people get enraged, and then such people that politely point out how uninformed said type of "feminist" is get label as misogynists by the "feminist" and the uninformed followers of that person, because you have to be a misogynist if you don't support "feminists" 100% even when they are skewing the picture/point.

But really, I've never understood why people would be called misogynists if they like games where there are female characters that are purely eye candy.

Yes, because it's totally legit that I hate women, when I like an eye candy style female character.

Yes, there is the point of sexual objectification, but I don't think that belongs anywhere in the definition of misogynist. I seriously believe that point was added by (crazy/uninformed)feminists at some unknown time ago so that they had some extra things that have trivial things that they can continue to attack.

I don't have to point out there are many strong female game characters. There are plenty of videos and articles out there that are easy to search for and find. Of course, I continue to hear people say, "Well it still isn't equal enough", "There could be more."

Yes, there could be more, but what people seem to forget is that even though the female gamer demographic is getting bigger, it still isn't big enough to be equal to the male demographic in the core areas. Because of that, most marketing and game design will still be centered at the male demographic. I like strong female characters, but I really don't want that to be the case 100% of the time in the games I play. With all the varied personalities and types of women in the world, it wouldn't be realistic for games to only have one style or kind of woman. It would be quite boring.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Hat Man said:
I'm for equality of the sexes.

Feminists are not.
It depends if the feminist is a proper one that is out for true equality. Back in the old-timey days, feminism was truly about getting equality. Then it finally started to slowly happen, but then a few decades ago, the number of women that seek to dominate grew and took over the movement.

These days, the true feminists try to out shine and discuss those fake-feminists, but usually seem to get ostracized, because the ruling fake-feminist view is that women must have 100% control and remove the things they don't like and see as (supposed) "misogynistic".

Of course, people with common sense know that 100% control doesn't bring us to equality; it brings us to a shift where it is female dominance all around.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
OhJohnNo said:
Welp, it's happened. The flames have begun.

It was inevitable.
Was anyone under any illusion that the OP was doing anything other than fishing for a badge?

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
*checks time
Oh is it past 1950 already? Then of course I a fucking feminist, and if you're not, fuck you.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not even going to bother reading through this thread and count the instances of petulant whining claiming that feminism is a highly dangerous and subversive movement with the aim of oppressing men everywhere.
"It says so right on the packet! Feminism! They think women should be granted privileges at the expense of men's rights, and this is by no means an ironic stance to espouse considering the history of these power dynamics!"

MammothBlade said:
Only the present and future matter.
Which is why I think this particular mindset is problematic. Past mistakes are important to acknowledge, especially since they've often caused systematic issues which persist to this day. Racism, sexism and homophobia are all social phenomena which are deeply ingrained in our culture. They aren't going to go away simply because we stop talking about them.

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
Darkmantle said:
Calibanbutcher said:
@moopig66: You forgot the most important part for any story Michael Bay is involved in: Huuge Explosions.

ON topic:
I shall just leave this here:
http://thefemitheist.blogspot.de/2012/04/allow-me-to-introduce-myself.html
wow. My mind is actually blown. That is impressive in it's ignorance and pure hate.

maybe it's written by the same nice lady father_time linked to.

the one that the only mercy she can give men is to kill them quickly :/
You kids who don't recognise satire are so adorable