Poll: Are you a feminist?

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
moopig66 said:
Awww, i worked hard on that short story, it took lots of time! Had to get all the imagery right.

Oh, and i did, im sad for her, something sad happened to her at some point and now shes all sad. Sadness is never good.

Oh, and respect, respect is something i reserve for those who earn it. You, you get nothing of the sort. You are the lowest common denominator in our culture at the moment, you will be remembered along side the likes of slave holders and KKK members come 2100. I would write a lengthy excerpt from a future textbook, but no one would appreciate it... :( sad

Darkmantle said:
moopig66 said:
Ooh, i like that.

Me, alone in the night, adorned in a black silk cape and hood. A knife rests in my hand, hidden from the moons light beneath my cape. I stock a nearby bar, watching, waiting. A women walks out from the depths of the dank bar into the misty night that blankets the street. Her walk is awkward, her demeanor is intoxicated. Behind her walks a gentleman adorned in his most generic of white wife-beaters. His hand grasps her breast. POW! She smacks him across the jaw with her half broken purse, makeup containers shower the street. She walks off, angry and drunk.

The man stumbles toward the curb to tend to his wounds, empty beer bottle in hand, his eyes red, is speech slurred. He mumbles softly to himself for a moment whereupon he realizes that a cloaked presence has perched itself behind him. In one foul, murderous motion, the figure, the figure that is i, plunges his knife deep, deep into the mans heart from behind. Blood spills forth from the wound, splattering the still rolling containers of makeup. I pull my knife slowly from the newly formed cavity in the mans back. He falls, face first, into his victims long forgotten belongings. Lipstick intermingled with blood, blood intermingled with eye-shadow.

"wha-" the man moans

"vengeance..." i say softly to my latest victim, "... vengeance"

Written by Moopig66, story and characters by Moopig66, edited by Micheal Bay for some reason

Darkmantle said:
And that makes misandry okay because? Are you one of these vengeance feminists?
if you read that rant posted by father time, it's basically her fantasy.

And mocking is also not a good way to show respect. Problem with many feminists, don't practice what they preach.
classy, comparing me to the KKK, I think Godwin's law needs an expansion. I am nothing of the sort by the way, I support equal rights. Yes for women too, but also for men. I don't exclude gays or anyone else for that matter.

Unlike you, who go out of your way to exclude male victims of violence perpetrated by women, only because it doesn't fit with your narrative.

Feb 22, 2009
Darkmantle said:
In Search of Username said:
Darkmantle said:
Evil Smurf said:
I support equality for both sexes, I am a humanist.
Exactly

I call myself humanist as well, many don't understand the term though.
That's because the term has many, MANY different meanings and applications.
Oh? Enlighten me, maybe I'll switch terms if it doesn't mean what I think it does :p

probably better if everyone dropped labels and just focused on the issues actually...
Well... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism_(disambiguation) Just saying, it's not a term you can just throw out and instantly expect people to know what you mean. Plus there's its status as kind of a meaningless feelgood term for atheists to call their 'religion' when asked. So I'm sure it means what you think it does, but it means a lot of other stuff too, so don't be surprised if people don't understand the term in the way you do.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Darkmantle said:
Darkmantle said:
Evil Smurf said:
Exactly

Oh? Enlighten me, maybe I'll switch terms if it doesn't mean what I think it does :p

probably better if everyone dropped labels and just focused on the issues actually...
Well... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism_(disambiguation) Just saying, it's not a term you can just throw out and instantly expect people to know what you mean. Plus there's its status as kind of a meaningless feelgood term for atheists to call their 'religion' when asked. So I'm sure it means what you think it does, but it means a lot of other stuff too, so don't be surprised if people don't understand the term in the way you do.
Thanks for the info, I'll have to use something else I guess. Or maybe nothing at all. I feel like alot of problems arise when people are more loyal to their labels than actual facts.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
PurePareidolia said:
Flames66 said:
That is pretty much my view on religion.
So I guess that means you're a very noncommittal atheist.

If you don't claim belief in a God or Gods, that makes you an atheist. Even if your Agnostic, Ignostic, whatever - anyone who doesn't have faith in the gods is by definition an atheist. That's just what the word means, in the same way feminism means equal gender rights. These things are default positions - they aren't something you have to subscribe to in order to be a part of - in fact you would have to specifically take a position against them not to have those labels.

Flames66 said:
The point I am making is that, while I believe in equal rights for women, you won't see me out at feminist rallies waving flags. For me, there are issues in the world that are more important, such as the institution of fear and surveillance that is constantly growing is society.
Well I wouldn't be at rallies either but I don't think that's a requirement. And again, having more pressing concerns is not mutually exclusive to caring about equal rights - it's perfectly possible to do both, the latter is just irrelevant to this discussion.
You make an interesting point. On the religion bit, I do not consider myself an atheist because I am undecided about my spiritual beliefs.

As for the other point, I can see where you are coming from, it depends how you define the word.

fem·i·nist
  [fem-uh-nist] Show IPA
adjective Sometimes, fem·i·nis·tic .
advocating social, political, legal, and economic rights for women equal to those of men.
noun
an advocate of such rights.
Dictionary.com

fem·i·nist (fm-nst)
n.
A person whose beliefs and behavior are based on feminism.
adj.
Relating to feminism.
thefreedictionary.com
I tend to think of a feminist being someone who actively advocates feminism, rather than someone who just thinks rights should be equal for everyone.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
I believe in equality for all, but I also believe that most people who call themselves "feminists" are batshit insane and make women look bad. So... I guess you could say I am, but I wouldn't want to be identified as one.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Troublesome Lagomorph said:
I believe in equality for all, but I also believe that most people who call themselves "feminists" are batshit insane and make women look bad. So... I guess you could say I am, but I wouldn't want to be identified as one.
Most people?
Thats an exaggeration.
And also not nice. =P

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Phasmal said:
Most people?
Thats an exaggeration.
And also not nice. =P
I guess. Still, there are some people I will do my best to avoid association with. *scrolls up* Yep...

Feb 22, 2009
Darkmantle said:
Darkmantle said:
Darkmantle said:
Evil Smurf said:
Exactly

Thanks for the info, I'll have to use something else I guess. Or maybe nothing at all. I feel like alot of problems arise when people are more loyal to their labels than actual facts.
Yeah, labels are supposed to simplify things but sometimes they get so vague that it'd be simpler to just explain your point of view than outline which of the million types of humanist you are. :p

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Phasmal said:
Most people?
Thats an exaggeration.
And also not nice. =P
I guess. Still, there are some people I will do my best to avoid association with. *scrolls up* Yep...
Maybe so, but that's still like saying that most gamers are hooting misogynistic dickholes.
Judging people by the extreme minority is not good.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Phasmal said:
Phasmal said:
Most people?
Thats an exaggeration.
And also not nice. =P
Maybe so, but that's still like saying that most gamers are hooting misogynistic dickholes.
And yet they're the ones that represent us. Not even talking about any specific group, but for people as a whole. I'm part of the "I wish I were a brain in a tank, put inside or a robotic body" kind of person.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Phasmal said:
Phasmal said:
Most people?
Thats an exaggeration.
And also not nice. =P
And yet they're the ones that represent us. Not even talking about any specific group, but for people as a whole. I'm part of the "I wish I were a brain in a tank, put inside or a robotic body" kind of person.
None of those people represent me.
Saying you're representing something doesn't magically make it so.
I can't stop people saying they are `x` but I can determine through their behaviour whether they are a good example or a terrible one.
There are nutters in every group, doesn't mean I stop associating with them.
There are crazy women, I still call myself a woman, cause it's what I am. ;)

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Phasmal said:
Phasmal said:
Phasmal said:
Most people?
Thats an exaggeration.
And also not nice. =P
I can't stop people saying they are `x` but I can determine through their behaviour whether they are a good example or a terrible one.
Fair enough, but just because I say I'm not a feminist doesn't mean I deserve the levels of hate and assumptions I get from many people. As soon as I say I'm not, people freak out.

Hell, this last guy just compared me to the KKK.

If this* goes on much longer, I'm sure he'll roll out the third Reich on me.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Darkmantle said:
Phasmal said:
Phasmal said:
Phasmal said:
Most people?
Thats an exaggeration.
And also not nice. =P
Fair enough, but just because I say I'm not a feminist doesn't mean I deserve the levels of hate and assumptions I get from many people. As soon as I say I'm not, people freak out.

If those goes on much longer, I'm sure he'll roll out the third Reich on me.
Welcome to the club, mate.
As soon as I tell people I am a feminist, they freak out too. Being a feminist gamer is not easy.
I guess nobody can win.
Lets all just give peace a chance and all that.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
@moopig66: You forgot the most important part for any story Michael Bay is involved in: Huuge Explosions.

ON topic:
I shall just leave this here:
http://thefemitheist.blogspot.de/2012/04/allow-me-to-introduce-myself.html

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Phasmal said:
Darkmantle said:
Phasmal said:
Phasmal said:
Phasmal said:
Most people?
Thats an exaggeration.
And also not nice. =P

If those goes on much longer, I'm sure he'll roll out the third Reich on me.
Welcome to the club, mate.
As soon as I tell people I am a feminist, they freak out too. Being a feminist gamer is not easy.
I guess nobody can win.
Lets all just give peace a chance and all that.
It's basically turned into this weird pseudo culture war. Where (some) people ignore the issues and rush to defend their "side".

And neither of these sides I really want to be a part of unfortunately.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Calibanbutcher said:
@moopig66: You forgot the most important part for any story Michael Bay is involved in: Huuge Explosions.

ON topic:
I shall just leave this here:
http://thefemitheist.blogspot.de/2012/04/allow-me-to-introduce-myself.html
wow. My mind is actually blown. That is impressive in it's ignorance and pure hate.

maybe it's written by the same nice lady father_time linked to.

the one that the only mercy she can give men is to kill them quickly :/

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
Am I a feminist, yes. What I am not is a straw feminist. Too many people associate Feminisim with straw feminists. And too many feminists try and say that straw feminists are a trope and not a real issue needing to be dealt with.

I'm looking at YOU Feminist Frequency. Stereotypes exist for a reason, some people do act like that, and saying it was made up to discredit the movement only discredits it even more by ignoring a REAL PROBLEM.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Jamash said:
Not really.

While I try to be fair to everyone regardless of things like gender or race, I'm too pragmatic to believe in complete equality.

I see Humans as a collection of similar, yet ultimately different people, which isn't a bad thing because it's these differences and variety that makes mankind wonderful, but I recognise that different people have different strengths and weaknesses.

Some of these differences are due to physical traits, some are due to learned behaviours or skills, but ultimately I can't believe in or advocate complete, unbiased equality when in any given situation, it would be impractical not to favour the most capable person for that situation.

It's because my outlook could be possibly be (mis)interpreted as sexist, misogynistic or prejudiced in some other way that I can't make any claim to being a Feminist.
This, Its easy for people in our day and age to want everyone to be equal I mean its the driving force behind communism, what we forget is that we are not all the same. For instance in Denmark there used to be a rule that a woman could stay home with her child some time after birth and still get paid now that rule applies to males as well which is kinda ridicules.