Poll: Are you a feminist?

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Fappy said:
Jonluw said:
I don't identify as feminist because the word holds lots of different connotations depending on whom you ask, and I believe I shouldn't have to specify that I want the sexes to be equal. It should be the default position.
Yeah pretty much this. I'm not an activist but I believe women should have equal opportunity and rights as men and visa versa. Pretty simply really.
Agree on all of this. It is sad that even in our societies in this day and age there is still somewhat backwards thinking in woman equality depending on where you work or what part of the country you live in. Also the media does a number on downing woman equality in my opinion as showing them in most programs as just meat to lust at... As a male I kinda don't mind half the time when not using my brain to think of the wrong I see...

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
It's sad and kinda cute that so many of you feel that you have to qualify your responses with something along the lines of: "..but I'm not one of those man-hating feminazi types". I'm a man, and a proud feminist, and I've met a lot of other feminists, and *absolutely none* of them are "man-haters". I agree that in a perfect world, "humanist" or "equalist" or whatever would be a better label, but y'all need to stop obsessing over semantics. Get over it.

Apologies for a relatively sloppy post: I had an epic whiskey binge last night (played Magic with my awesome feminist wife 'til 7 AM!), and the hangover still hasn't kicked in.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I support feminism.

I'm not a feminist.

Not quite sure how to explain that one, but here we go.

I suppose it's due to the negative connotation of the latter...I love women folk and fully believe in gender equality, yet the popularized version of said movement just comes off as abrasive for the sake of being abrasive.

The "feminazi" crap isn't something I'm supportive of. Women wanting fair pay for their work, however, I'm completely behind.

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
in my mind, feminist means 'person who supports womans equal rights' so i think i am, and i hope everyone else is

nubbas

Jan 9, 2009
Xangba said:
Equal rights? Yeah all for it. But the term feminist has become something other than its original meaning. Ever since my friend couldn't witness the birth of his daughter because he wasn't married and the mother gets all rights I said "screw feminism." Not that the original idea is bad, I'm all for equal rights for men, women, gays, bis, race, ect, but I feel feminism isn't the same anymore.
How do you put the blame for that on feminism? If anything I'd say that feminism means less conservative bovine excrement of that kind.

As for the rest of the discussion...

How sad that people who admit to being on board with equality (at least on paper) contribute to the slandering of "feminism" and abandon that label out of fear of being associated with something completely different that gets called by the same name. It's sort of like saying "I'm for gay rights but I don't SAY I am because some unenlightened people might think that I meant I'm for gay rights to drown kittens". I don't say I'm pro choice because someone might think I meant I'm pro choice when it comes to using or not using corporal punishment when raising my kids...

Gordon Freemonty

Aug 25, 2010
I am not feminist. To be feminist would imply I am only for women's rights.

Feminism (Oxford)

"the advocacy of women?s rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes."

I am egaltarian, as in equal rights for all. Gay/straight, black/white, fat/skinny, man/woman etc.

nubbas

Jan 9, 2009
nohorsetown said:
It's sad and kinda cute that so many of you feel that you have to qualify your responses with something along the lines of: "..but I'm not one of those man-hating feminazi types". I'm a man, and a proud feminist, and I've met a lot of other feminists, and *absolutely none* of them are "man-haters". I agree that in a perfect world, "humanist" or "equalist" or whatever would be a better label, but y'all need to stop obsessing over semantics. Get over it.
That!

nubbas

Jan 9, 2009
Gordon Freemonty said:

Feminism (Oxford)

I am egaltarian, as in equal rights for all. Gay/straight, black/white, fat/skinny etc.
Eeeeh, you might want to read that definition again a couple of times and think really hard about it...

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
No.

Following my sister explaining exactly how I am a rapist because I have a penis, I realised that I can no longer associate myself with feminism.

Feminism, like any other movement, simply contains too many elements I cannot agree with.

So whilst I am an advocate for womens equality, the moment a women states that I am a rapist because "Due to the gender imbalance, no women can give true consent as men and women are not equal and therefore do not have equal agency, ergo all sex is at least partially non-consensual and all heterosexual sex is rape" I can no longer support the movement.

So sorry to any feminists out there. Not all of you are like that, I know. But I am done.

I am a rapist because I am not a virgin, I am a chauvinist because I supported Sarkeesian and I happen to have a penis.

So whilst I will continue to "advocate womens rights" I will not associate myself with the movement.

Gordon Freemonty

Aug 25, 2010
nubbas said:
Gordon Freemonty said:

Feminism (Oxford)

I am egaltarian, as in equal rights for all. Gay/straight, black/white, fat/skinny etc.
Eeeeh, you might want to read that definition again a couple of times and think really hard about it...
Feminism is a sex-based movement which focuses on women's rights. As is said in the description. Not men.

Egalitarianism is the belief that all human beings are of equal worth. I believe egalitarianism is more appropriate because we need to help individuals of both genders who are suffering discrimination, rather than just women.

Spinozaad

Jun 16, 2008
I believe that women are intrinsically equal to men. I don't believe that the best way to promote is this through "positive discrimination".

Naive? Probably to a certain extent. But positive discrimination is still sexism.