Poll: Are you a Lurker?

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
I used to be. Sometimes I still am. Some days, I post in up to 40 threads, and some days, I don't post at all.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Often times the same opinion comes up over and over and if I have that opinion then I fell no point in throwing it in the sea of comments, or sometimes I'll read a third and feel I have no strong opinion on the matter.

Is lurking considered a bad thing, I mean why should it be forum etiquette to respond to everything you read?

Marble Dragon

Mar 11, 2009
Usually, anything I have to say has already been said, and in a more eloquent way than I'm ever going to put it. There's no point in reposting something, I think. No idea what my post count is, at least, at time of writing. I'll see when I post. Hmmm...

This is the only place that ever really makes me feel like an idiot, so that could be a part of it.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Generally I lurk around the forums since there's usually nothing I want to post in... Unless it's something like this where I can be a total hypocrite. ^.^

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
I lurk on Something Awful. I also lurked on this website for about three months before finally joining.

Revenge Revisited

The Doctor Called Me Special! :D
Dec 2, 2009
Yeah at first, but I've started posting more. I guess I'm just becoming more good at this "internet" thing you people do. :p

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I've been here for almost three years, and I have only one thousand five hundred posts, while I see others with only a few months here in the 5,000+ and above range. I wish the Escapist would go back to when post counts only counted for posts, and not being able to chat all the time in groups. Oh well, we'll just have to adapt. But should (by this rate) around 2017 I'll have around 5,000 posts and earn my Neo badge legit, just as I have for the other two.

I'll also feel seriously curious as to how I have been on the site for nine years. But I'll get to that when that date occurs!

Arenari

Servant of Marvin the Martian
Nov 20, 2009
I guess I could say that I'm a lurker. I tend to just look around the forums, only really posting when I can form actual intelligent thoughts about the subject.

stormcrow5

Jul 9, 2008
Lurking ftw. I post sometimes then NEVER check that thread again, maybe because i dont care or just being lazy

FollowUp

Mar 25, 2010
I throw in my two, pointless cents almost all the time... But sometimes it's not really worth it.

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
I'd say I lurk most of the time on here. I'll have certain days where I'll go on posting sprees, but most of the time, I can't be bothered to reply to a topic.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Depends on how long the thread is going, sometimes. Feel stupid commenting on what's been said already many times, especially if I don't have time to go through pages and pages. If it's something I'm somewhat passionate about, I'll try and put as much time in as possible to construct a post, though. I'll do it now, even though I've only read the 1st page hehe. I'm at work, and my lunchtimes almost over ok??

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I try to be a lurker and stay out of conversations where I have nothing to contribute, but you guys seem to always get me involved in one way or another. Like if I were to get into reading an erotic fiction forum, it would just be a matter of time before I'm writing and posting my own demented sex fantasies and... hey, why are you looking at me like that? Where are you going? We still friends?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I was considering responding, but then I decided to lurk.
But by that point, I had already typed out a response, so I might as well post it.

Kiltguy

Lurker extraordinaré
Jan 23, 2011
oppp7 said:
I feel like no one really reads my posts or cares anymore and without badges to earn I'm mostly a lurker.
Naw. I'm a diligent reader. I also lurk, Mostly because someone already voiced my particular opinion, and there is no need to be redundant. Or is it...?

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Always_Remain said:
Greyah said:
I'm afraid I don't quite know what people mean with the term "lurking". Could anyone please explain?
Going into other peoples threads and not posting at all. Just reading what others post. I.E. Lurking.
Why is that a bad thing, if youve got nothing to say or contribute theres no real reason to post.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
eggy32 said:
I lurk occasionally, somtimes I like to read a thread and just have nothing to contribute.
I do the same here myself. Sometimes I'll post abit for the video's that I like and I hang out a little in the game section so that's why my count is a bit high. :D