Poll: Are you closer to your Mum or Dad

Sara Fontaine

Sep 20, 2010
Incredibly close with my mum, to the point of being able to talk to her about pretty much anything. I do belive this is due to my dad leaving, and I think that had he still been with her, we wouldn't be as close.

As for my dad... well... he's got another family now. Every now and again he'll remember that I exist and come to see me for all of ten minutes, call me the wrong name, tell me how his partner's daughters are so successful and how one got offered a modelling job in Maxim, talk about the 'grandchildren', tell me that I need to lose weight (when I'm not that big to begin with) and that I'm not trying hard enough to get a job and then bugger off again.

Do I sound bitter? It's because I am.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I'm more with my mother, as my Dad's job often required him to be farther away from me during my childhood, meaning I was with my mother more and built more of a relationship with her. As for that matter, I've yearned to get closer to my dad, though I don't really know how to do it, as he's a car guy, and I'm a vidya games guy.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
My dad.

My mom is a ***** and I hate her. She's a dumb, controlling, bipolar beast. My dad however is intelligent, funny, and cool.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I'm going to say I'm closer to my mother, but only very slightly. I live with my dad, but rarely actually talk to him, and even more rarely have a meaningful conversation with him. I visit my mom every Thursday and she's [slowly] teaching me how to drive, so I get more face-time with her.

But really I don't know either of my parents very well at all, and vice versa.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
My mom. My dad doesn't live with us and hasn't since I was three years old, so it only makes sense.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I was closer to my Dad (and take after him in many ways), but after he died and I moved back home to take care of my Mum, I've grown closer to her.

If he was still alive, I'd probably be closer to him as I sought a lot of advice from and looked up to him immensely, also it took the tragedy of his sudden passing and my new responsibilities and role in the family to bring my Mother and myself closer, but in the few years after his death we probably grew more apart (before becoming closer than ever) as we dealt with our grief in different ways.

Kazoomifu

Mar 15, 2011
Despite the fact that my dad was absent for about nine years of my life, I'm actually closer to him than my mom.

He and I share a lot of the same personality traits, and understand each other better than my mother and I ever have-- I'm close to both of them, but my dad is just easier to talk to and be around.

And, ah, female.

felbot

May 11, 2011
closer to my mom, wasn't hard to tell you that considering my dad is child beating alcoholic, i hope ill never become even a fraction of what that guy is.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I would say my father but not by a lot. I don't have a lot in common with either but they are both very supportive and kind. I usually talk about Judo with my dad since he started as a child and has always been into fighting since he was a kid between doing Judo, Kung Fuu and a high ranked wrestler he got me into Judo at 6 so I have been doing that for 16 years now.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Neither, I'm Batman.

But seriously, neither, whilst I do love and care about my family a great deal I've never been the sort to share deep thoughts and emotions with them.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Neither?
Well ok if I got to choose I guess I would pick my dad. Unlike my mum at least he can tell when I'm annoy whatever fixing they need me to do (mainly mum telling how to use the computer) at he was the one who tell I was old enough to wander on my own in the city (my first step to being indepedant).

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I'm male and closer to my mother, but that's not surprising considering my dad has hardly ever been in my life, and then he wonders why we aren't at all close. I remember back in my teens when he'd make a pathetic attempt to talk about my friends or hobbies, and my reply would be like I no longer do that/ are friends with said person. When I'd really like to say I stopped doing that years ago, where have you been?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Neither. My father is a neo-Nazi, called me and my brothers 'disease ridden half breeds', was a wife beater, child abuser, and other things. Haven't seen nor spoke to him in years.

My mother is crazy, a religious bigot, threatened to make me live with the before mentioned abusive father, and is the reason my family isn't speaking to me (she institutionalized me for 2 1/2 weeks because her boyfriend didn't like me [since I knew he was a fraud and always called him out on his bullshit]), among other things. I haven't spoken to her in over a year.

Don't know if it adds to it, but I'm 20 years old and female.

gazumped

Dec 1, 2010
I was closer to my mother before she went off the rails and started regularly getting shit faced drunk and calling me a ***** and a snob and telling me to get the fuck out of her house.

However, she's never been able to remember these episodes so doesn't understand to the full extent how much she's pushed me away, so it's hard to let on (when she's sober and telling me how special I am and how proud she is of me) how much I resent her for it.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'm closer to my mom because she always had a vested interest in me when I was growing up. My father also did, but as I got older, he started to not really care about what I did unless it was in tangent to his own interests.

I still feel closer to my mom and not in a mama's boy kind of way. I'm very independent and I can just talk to my mother more easily than with my father.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Male here and closer to my father. I love my mother to death but there's a certain naivete to her that's odd. My old man has a lot of life experience that I rely on and he provides lots of good advice.

loudmadman

Nov 22, 2011
Because my interests and most of my personality is totally different to my parents (no, I'm not adopted), I'm normally distant towards both of my parents. If I had to choose, I would say I am closer to my mother simply because she is more approachable than my father, who tends to make it my fault if it is something negative

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Male and closer to my mother.

Mostly because my father is an arrogant, cold, demeaning, demanding douche bag.
Seriously growing up I could count the nice things he said to me on one hand.

Believe it or not being able to talk to a parent is a good thing