Poll: Avatar Discrimination

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
I like to think my avatar distinguishes me and I have gotten plenty of PM's in the past asking about them. Better to judge someone on their profile pic than their avatar.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
Whispering Cynic said:
Vhite said:
Except for this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view] person who deserves all the hate for his/her avatar.
Heheh, choosing an appropriate avatar is harder than it seems, I just can't seem to find the right thing (which would also be sufficiently original). Don't worry though, one day I'll find it.

[sub]Even if it takes another ten years.[/sub]
this[//url]

Jun 16, 2010
Whispering Cynic said:
Vhite said:
Except for this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view] person who deserves all the hate for his/her avatar.
Heheh, choosing an appropriate avatar is harder than it seems, I just can't seem to find the right thing (which would also be sufficiently original). Don't worry though, one day I'll find it.

[sub]Even if it takes another ten years.[/sub]

That's a pretty old trick you fell for.

By the way, you should click that red-and-white button beneath my avatar. It's great!

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
I hate it when people can't be bothered to get an original avatar, but instead of sticking with one of the default ones makes an uninspired placeholder...

... Oh wait, *cough* never mind then

OT:
Can't say I've seen much in the way of discrimination based on avatars here on the escapist though I've seen people with default avatars get picked on on other forums, but there it's usually a case of hating the newcomers and general join-date-elitism since it's generally new members who haven't got a custom avatar.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
MLP seems to be the one "taboo" avatar nowadays, but that'll go away soon enough and something else will replace it. If people are that annoyed with them, then just play the waiting game.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
No, I don't ever disregard or look down on people who don't have avatars.

I do, however, discriminate with regard to spelling and grammar competence, and to general behaviour. I'm sorry if English is not your first language but I am much less likely to read your posts if your form is lacking. I'll also recognise people who are unfriendly and try to avoid them.

But no, if people want to have furry/MLP/generic avatars then they can go for it.

(And now I'm not going to spellcheck my post to hopefully make it ironic.)

fromthepoisonwell

Jun 11, 2013
I think that most people subconsciously see people with stock avatars/no avatar as outsiders/newbies. I don't really have a problem with it so long as they still treat the people well, because the people probably are outsiders/newbies.

I too, get kind of annoyed by mlp avatars. I know I really shouldn't and I don't act any different towards them, but I've just met so many obnoxious people who happen to be bronies.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I recall people tending to dislike flashier .gif avatars, but nothing really beyond that

I too, have a theme that I enjoy sticking too though!

Most of you probably know this though :p

Kryten1029a

Jun 28, 2008
Country
United States
TwilitWolfAmaterasu said:
Shanahanapp said:
I have on occasion been told my opinion is invalid because I have an anthropomorphic animal as my avatar, which apparently makes me a "furfag". Other that that I don't think people really do. Either you recognise someone's avatar and appreciate the reference or don't and it's just a way of distinguishing them in a way other than their name.
People have done that on the rare occasion for me because of my username xD It's actually more thought out than one would think but some people's thoughts are "omg she has wolf in her name she must be a furfag"

I don't hate on anyone, but dangit, I'm not a furry/furfag/etc and it makes me sad when people are shallow :(
Ah, but where would we be without snap judgements?

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Anyone who doesn't regard what I said because I don't have an avatar probably weren't worth the effort of communicating with anyway.

As for my own bias, I block all of your avatars anyway, so I'm not skewed toward wanting to stab you with a pencil for that obnoxious animated .gif, or that seventeen millionth My Little Pony image I've seen today.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
I've got to say, a good chunk of the moving .gif avatars annoy the crap out of me. (oddly enough I have only seen one of those in this thread) Get enough of them in one section of a thread and I feel like I'm on a website of questionable merit, with flashing advertisements in every corner.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I do not, no. I occasionally get asked what the fuck mine even is but I don't think I've ever experienced or seen any discrimination on any forum when it comes to avatars. Sometimes they start up interesting conversations between people, though.

EDIT: actually, I do kind of discriminate against those who use default avatars but only to the point that I check their post count and what they've been saying to check they're not just trolls or spam bots.

Quadocky

Aug 30, 2012
I only tend to discriminate against those who have Sexy Anime Girl Avatars because they tend to be the worst kind of people.

Their sin? Being Un-ironically awful.

Terraniux

Oct 4, 2011
I don't discriminate, no, but I do decide what voice to read it in. For example, I read pretty much ever MLP related in this really deep voice, kind of like Frank Horrigan's from Fallout 2. I read most of the other ones in Nazeem's voice from Skyrim, just because I love you all so much.

But I don't discriminate based on avatars. Seems like such a petty, baseless thing to do.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I generally get asked about the origins of my avatar, but that's about it.

So no, as far as I'm concerned, there's little to no discrimination with avatars. Though, certain custom avatars make it easier to recognize some posters faster, like that Evil Smurf dude.

Nov 28, 2007
I tend not to judge people by their avatar. However, if someone has proven themselves to be, shall we say, a bit unpalatable to my tastes and doesn't use a common avatar, I will keep an eye out for that avatar.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
I generally get asked about the origins of my avatar, but that's about it.

So no, as far as I'm concerned, there's little to no discrimination with avatars. Though, certain custom avatars make it easier to recognize some posters faster, like that Evil Smurf dude.
My avatar was designed to be both diabetes inducing cute and recognisable. I'm glad it's working.