Poll: Be honest, do you actually treat girl gamers the same online? (Minor update)

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
I sometimes wonder if there's something seriously wrong with my gender. I've talked to women on dating sites and their experiences there are even worse. It's definitely not purely a video game thing. Their bold stupidity only serves to make me more attractive. I guess I can't complain too much, haha.

dead.juice

Jul 1, 2011
I don't see any reason to treat them differently. In fact, it makes me happy to hear a girl playing, that means there's a higher chance of there being more maturity.
You put a mic in the ear of a grown man or some college kid, and he turns into a little brat. I'm getting sick and tired of turning on my mic to play COD, and the only people with mics besides me is either some dumbass doing nothing but complain about butthurt, or is foreign.

Maybe it's because I play on the PS3, I remember Xbox 360 being a little more varied in the online experience.
God I miss my Xbox 360, I even had an Altiar skin on it. *sniff*

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
I certainly try to. There's always that note of surprise when they talk and I realize that a girl is playing in the same game as me. (And more likely than not, kicking my ass.)

tomservo4prezident

Mar 12, 2010
I treat girls much, much better. I assume the average other person online is an eleven year old homophobic idiot douchebag, but once I can see past the shroud of anonymity and see that someone's female, the stereotypes fall away and I begin to assume they're a decent human being. Not enough to make me use my mic in non-private matches (when I'm not trolling, that is...), but still.

The Black Ghost

Jan 9, 2010
Yeah I've heard of this. But the majority of the problem comes from the same audience that we all hate online anyways.

KIDS.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
The only game I've ever played that had a girl in it was TF2, and everyone is nice in TF@. So...

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I only treat them differently if they're trying to act like an attention whore.
Granted, my sister and I gamed together for pretty much our entire childhood, and still do when circumstances permit today (she's quite a vicious Scout in TF2).

So I never developed that silly "OMG! A GIRL THAT PLAYS GAEMS!?" mentality.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Aerosteam 1908 said:
To be frank, I don't give a crap. I consider those who want to be considered girls as girls and those that want to be considered boys as boys, and that only goes as far as pronouns really, other than that I sexually harass everyone. I prefer doing it to guys though, since unless they know me they either get really uncomfortable or assume I'm a chick.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Most of the time, i do. But it all depends on my mood. If im having a bad day i enjoy being a sexist prick to the girls to brighten my day.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I try to, but by trying I feel like I'm treating them differently.
I don't think anyone can be truly without bias.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I treat girls online the same way I treat girls offline, now, that is not to say that it's the exact same treatment that guys get but it's not like I go out of my way to be different with girls online.

The difference would mainly be me holding back the dirty jokes and trying to not be perceived as a jerk, while when with guys I don't mind being perceived as a jerk cause quantifying my skill and showcasing it in a way they can't deny will work to garner their respect, while if a girl thinks you're a jerk, you're a jerk, no matter how good you are at something. Simply put, guys seem more able to respect someone they dislike, girls tend to have their feelings about someone color their entire perception of that person, so I have become accustomed to taking that fact into account when interacting with the fairer sex.

It's not ideal but it's not an ideal world so we do what we have to do.

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
Luke5515 said:
I try to, but by trying I feel like I'm treating them differently.
I don't think anyone can be truly without bias.
Agree. Men treat women differently throughout society & the world, and women treat men differently. I don't think gamers are so superior as to be able to entirely sever their biological imperative by ignoring gender. The poll says otherwise, of course...

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Yea, if they're on my time I congradulate, if they kill me I swear only instead of mother fucker I call say father fucker.

Cerebral_Assassin

May 5, 2010
Yes because I treat everyone with respect, except the 14 year old boys that sound like girls and are always whining, griping, bitching, complaining, crying and getting on my damn nerves.

Other than that everyone is the same.

Smerf

May 4, 2011
i usually treat them better then a normal palyer. for instance i wont hunt them and them only in tf2 as spy if they killed me.

Joby Baumann

Apr 19, 2011
it depends, if the act like the stereotypical girl gamers, i will generally ignore them, if they are just gamers that are girls i will treat them with the same civility I try to treat everyone else.

but seriously no one really should care if a gamer is a girl or not.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
I'm a girl gamer. I just don't play games that 12-year-old male jerkwads play. I prefer non-multiplayer, except when I play Starcraft, and then no one knows I'm female anyway. So it all works out, really. Why bother putting up with the little monsters?

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
No, I treat them better. I find girl gamers hot. Now I won't be really creepy with it, but I would like to destroy a stereotype and encourage more. I also try to have more sex with girl gamers.