Poll: Best band ever!

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Had to pick "I hate music" because I'm not particularly fond of either Rush or Queen, as much as I respect their output.

In terms of last.fm plays my "best band ever" is Cryptopsy. Their discography isn't particularly great but this one album solidifies everything I love about music. Beauty. Aggression. Sadness. Viscera. Complexity. Simplicity.

(Disclaimer: Most of you will hate it)

EDIT: I have to say that Radiohead, The Beatles and Pink Floyd are much more worthy of the "best band" title than either Queen or Rush.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
You spelled Pearl Jam wrong, but that's okay.

Between those two, though? Queen. They had a very unique prog rock sound.

But seriously, pearl jam.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Of those two, Rush, but I really don't listen to either band that much.

Personally, my favorite band would be Edguy/Avantasia. Yeah, they're technically two different bands, but Tobias has kept their music relatively similar over the years:

Close runner-ups would be Nightwish, Stratovarius, Sabaton, and Iron Maiden.

Kalashnikov2092

Feb 15, 2011
Nah, Beatles still got that on lock. The amount of great music they produced in under 10 years was just incredible.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Colour Scientist said:
Those are odd ways of spelling Fleetwood Mac.
The way that I read this - in the casual tones of a gentleman secur ein his opinion as he sits in a high backed chair and sips a decent cup of tea - has made me laugh. I give you internet points.

Plus they misspelled Pink Floyd.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I have to go with Rush, since one of their albums, and one of their songs in particular literally saved my life. Keeping me from doing something very stupid as a kid, during the darkest time of my life is definitely marks as the "best band ever" in my personal playbook. Plus I've always loved their music and still do. So, yeah, Rush it is.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Queen was my pick before this page even loaded. Rush is...okay. I'm not sure they'd make my top twenty. If I had one. Which I don't. Because I don't do lists like that.

Colour Scientist said:
Stop promoting your band, Stevie!

Private Custard said:
Success ≠ greatness. If it did, Justin Beiber and the Spice Girls would be right up there, and we all know they're shit!
I'm reminded of an old joke. Well, old now. The Spice Girls have a lifetime achievement award. Finally, something for Michael Jackson to aspire to.

BathorysGraveland2 said:
Out of those two, I'd say Rush as the guitar work is far more prominent.
You will NOT speak ill of Briany May!

Even though technically you didn't!

But joking aside, I'm curious as to what you mean specifically by more prominent.

DizzyChuggernaut said:
In terms of last.fm plays my "best band ever" is Cryptopsy.
Interesting measure. I think by Last.fm standards, Queen actually is my best band ever.

I say "I think," because there are three bands higher which are all on my "sleep" mix and thus things I don't really listen to. There was six or so months where it was scrobbling tracks playing while I was asleep, though I told it not to. It totally breaks my top ten.

...which I would know, if I ever logged into Last.fm.

Which I don't.

Because I always forget.

Because I have the attention span of a goldfish.

Ooh! Shiny! *runs off*

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Colour Scientist said:
When Christmas comes along I just spam the jukebox at my local pub with every available Fleetwood Mac song.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Queen take the top spot for me to, albums like Queen II showcase what an amazing variety of writing and musical talent the band had. Plus live they sounded absolutely amazing. I am actually going to see Queen+Adam Lambert live in January next year.

This is of course a subjective thing though like favourite of anything, but for me personally there is no comparison.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Souplex said:
Zeconte said:
The Beatles, only people who come even close to their success is Elvis and Elton John. Sorry to disappoint.
While the Beatles have more total good songs and are certainly more successful, Rush and Queen reach much greater heights of quality per song, and the Beatle's reached much lower depths.
I thought you said this was down to popular opinion, then quality per song shouldn't matter o_O

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
My mood fluctuates pretty wildly when it comes to Rush, sometimes I think they're one of the best progressive rock bands ever and other times I think they're one of the most boring bands to ever reach mainstream popularity.

There has never been a moment in my life where I ever wanted to skip a Queen song, so out of the two I'm going to have to go with them.

Killing Joke is the correct answer though.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Considering that I believe that Bohemian Rhapsody should replace God Save The Queen as the English national anthem, Queen wins this one.

Seriously, play this to a crowd of people and just try to stop them singing. God Save The Queen...not so much.

Also, this poll is lacking in Devin Townsend options.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Littaly said:
Souplex said:
Zeconte said:
The Beatles, only people who come even close to their success is Elvis and Elton John. Sorry to disappoint.
While the Beatles have more total good songs and are certainly more successful, Rush and Queen reach much greater heights of quality per song, and the Beatle's reached much lower depths.
I thought you said this was down to popular opinion, then quality per song shouldn't matter o_O
I objectively determined that Rush and Queen are the best bands.
The popular opinion is for breaking their tie.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Of the two, I gotta say Queen and it ain't even close. I like both bands but, while they have some shit, Queen's good albums are incredibly good.

I dunno if I have a favourite band, personally. My favourite album is Grace by Jeff Buckley but, like much of the internet, most of the bands I listen to are playing the pub circuit in Somalia or recording grim and frostbitten one-man black metal into their Sony Ericsson.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Queen was my pick before this page even loaded. Rush is...okay. I'm not sure they'd make my top twenty. If I had one. Which I don't. Because I don't do lists like that.

Colour Scientist said:
Stop promoting your band, Stevie!
I'm not promoting my own band, those are just rumours. Although, if this were a real poll, we would win by a landslide, other bands would only win in their dreams. You'd have to be some sort of gypsy not to vote for us

I don't know what the chain of events would be that would not lead us to victory, Fleetwood Mac make lovin' fun.

I'm not trying to discourage other bands though, you know? Don't stop thinking about tomorrow, if you go your own way, it may work out for you.

Ah, something something tusk something.

[sub][sub]Rhiannon[/sub][/sub]

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Well, a few of my favorite songs are by Queen, but I like more of Rush's songs, so if I really have to decide I'll have no choice but to go with Judas Priest. No wait I changed my mind! I pick AC/DC!
Wait a minute, wait a minute! It's Rush.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Colour Scientist said:
I'm not promoting my own band, those are just rumours. Although, if this were a real poll, we would win by a landslide, other bands would only win in their dreams. You'd have to be some sort of gypsy not to vote for us

I don't know what the chain of events would be that would not lead us to victory, Fleetwood Mac make lovin' fun.

I'm not trying to discourage other bands though, you know? Don't stop thinking about tomorrow, if you go your own way, it may work out for you.

Ah, something something tusk something.

[sub][sub]Rhiannon[/sub][/sub]
Oh my God, that was so good it hurt.

I don't know whether to applaud or point to the doll.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Of those two? Queen I guess, but that's because the only Rush song I can name is Spirit of the Radio. The real question is, of course, Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin?

I'm kidding. Everyone knows it's Sabbath.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Rush? PFFFFFFFFT

Queen is several trillion times better than Rush.

But best band ever? Eh. Neither of them.

death525

Aug 29, 2009
Everyone is wrong so far.
The obvious choice is the Rolling Stones.
I mean come on Paint It Black, Sympathy for the Devil, Gimme Shelter. How can you not love it?