Poll: Best band ever!

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
crimson5pheonix said:
So generic Souplex, those are too obvious.

Personally, I'd be rooting for more along the lines of or maybe
You know I never liked Tool as much as I likely should. But I will say you score major points by taking about Týr. Love those guys.

There cover of "Where Eagles Dare" is fucking awesome.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
I like the Queen of the Billiesquorgers by by the band Ubiquitous Goblontian Gold Rush.

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
Benpasko said:
Of those two? Queen. Personally? Queens of the Stone Age. Josh Homme is a goddamn genius. I'd also include Them Crooked Vultures in this, since 2/3(4) members were qotsa.
The rhythm of 3s and 7s is a particular favorite of mine, the whole song goes back and forth between with the rhythym and directly opposite it in a way that took a few tries to follow.
You, my good sir, are a saint.
Honestly, I adore Queens of the Stone Age, and I think their latest album is my personal favorite of their work.
With Them Crooked Vultures, it combined three of my favorite musicians ever into one group and made a damn beautiful work of art.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
The Ramones is really the only right answer to that question.

But seeing as how you're dedicated to picking a runner up.

Queen.

All things considered I think they had a bigger impact on the pop/rock music scene and popular culture in general.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
DizzyChuggernaut said:
In terms of last.fm plays my "best band ever" is Cryptopsy. Their discography isn't particularly great but this one album solidifies everything I love about music. Beauty. Aggression. Sadness. Viscera. Complexity. Simplicity.

I could never get into tech death, I've always thought there's too much going on and it's a little masturbatory for my tastes (with the only exception being Fallujah). More importantly, why aren't you listening to the new Ne Obliviscaris album?!

OT: Queen. Don't get me wrong, Rush is fantastic and their new album was phenomenal (mostly), but Queen has that sing-along quality that Rush usually doesn't. Either way, I listen to a lot more Cannibal Corpse and Mayhem than I do either of them.

Caostotale

Mar 15, 2010
I generally stick with music that lies outside of the first-world-white-peoples' consumer orgy that is the 'Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame' set of bands (and especially fucking stadium rock acts from the 70s forward like both of these examples), but if I were forced to make a decision, I'd take Queen hands down. Songs like 'You're My Best Friend', 'A Kind Of Magic', 'Under Pressure', 'Somebody to Love', 'Killer Queen', 'Bicycle Race', etc... are simultaneously catchier, more stylistically versatile, more boldly adventurous, and more virtuosic than anything Rush ever did, which is saying a lot, because Rush at their best (i.e. in my opinion, roughly Moving Pictures through Counterparts) were pretty fucking amazing.

Thinking on it in a different way, I'd posit that Rush put together better whole records while Queen absolutely annihilates them on the basis of a 'greatest hits' criterion. It should be noted that I've probably only heard about half of Queen's full records and that a lot of the non-hits don't really do much for me. Still, the hits hit hard!

To be sure, I say all of this as a bassist of 20 years who spent a good half of that time worshiping Geddy Lee's playing and transcribing Rush's songs. I still enjoy all of those great Rush records from the 80s, but the total musician in me ultimately finds their music a bit too boxy, formulaic, pretty corny, and overall, a bit too 'provincial' in terms of musical language and overall group aesthetic. I'd unhesitatingly take them over most other prog rock bands (i.e. later groups from that subgenre like Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree still aren't worthy enough to lick Rush's boots...).

EDIT: In all honesty, I'd probably take the best work of Genesis and Phil Collins over both of these acts. I go back to their best songs more than anything else from that era.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
That is such a subjective matter.
And not having "other" in the poll option with just 2 bands with this question is suicide on this site :D

Althou both the bands rank very high on that list of mine also, mainly due to what they started and how much they have influenced music.
Never listened that much to either, some old LPs of my dads sometimes.

At least it wasn't ladygaga and Katy Perry in the poll, that would have had me go on a rampage...

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
mitchell271 said:
More importantly, why aren't you listening to the new Ne Obliviscaris album?!
What makes you think I'm not? ;3
Citadels is solid though my favourite Ne Obliviscaris song is Forget Not and possibly won't be topped.

None So Vile isn't really "tech death" (I can actually play all the guitar riffs without crippling my wrists) though Cryptopsy did get into more technical territory on later albums. I actually consider Corpsegrinder Cannibal Corpse songs to be more technical than anything from None So Vile.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Between those two bands, I have to give it to Queen.
Which wasn't a hard choice for me, since I've yet to hear a song by Rush that I enjoy. There's just something about the lead singer's voice that doesn't work for me.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Gorrilaz, a cool look and music that is both creepy, atmospheric and down to earth make them in my opinion the best band

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
DizzyChuggernaut said:
What makes you think I'm not? ;3
Citadels is solid though my favourite Ne Obliviscaris song is Forget Not and possibly won't be topped.

None So Vile isn't really "tech death" (I can actually play all the guitar riffs without crippling my wrists) though Cryptopsy did get into more technical territory on later albums. I actually consider Corpsegrinder Cannibal Corpse songs to be more technical than anything from None So Vile.
I just looked through a tab for "Crown of Horns", doesn't actually look too bad. To me, it just has a very tech death kind of sound :p

I do agree about the Corpsegrinder era stuff though, with the main exception being Evisceration Plague which has a very OSDM feel to it. But none of that matters when there's Dethklok material to learn!