Poll: did i pretty much make this kid snap?

Raesin

Oct 6, 2010
Even if a person seems OK with it, things like that build up and up and will probably stay with him for the rest of his life, whereas to you it's just a few minutes of fun for a little while.

Seems a bit far to go though...that's even assuming any of it's true.

Apr 24, 2008
Getting stabbed for putting a pop-tart on somebodies head...it's not a justifiable response, anyone who thinks otherwise is a scary person.

You should take a lesson from this though. Namely...don't bully strangers, save it for your friends...you know what they're capable of, or...something.

Just watch The Big Lebowski, you'll get it.

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
with the details you added its sounds like this was just normal talk, not bullying, you and your friend and this kid where all joking around, it sounds like you never crossed the line or anything like that. From what you tell me i have to say it sounds like you were not bullying this kid, and for that matter if he thought you were you would have been out cold or stabbed. You are not at fault for what he did, the idiot who put a pop-tart on his head is still an idiot but not at fault either, the person at fault is this kid.

That being said, is what it sounds like from what you told me. However if you did push him to far and bully him than yes you share blame. But it sounds like you were ALL in on the joking and good enough friends to joke like that. He had issues that he should have dealt with.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Yep, suggest you stop doing things like that...

next time someone snaps...might be more than a stab and a punch...

So act like a human being, treat others like one and you might see middle age.

Or you can take delight in such behavior and suck up whatever someone does to you when they can't handle it anymore.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
No matter how funny/innocent it seems, people react in extreme and very unpredictable ways.

Literally, yesterday this kid was walking through the Lunch room and started harassing people. I figured he was just a pain in the ass, nothing too big. Then he started personally insulting me and my friends. I was annoyed but not flat out mad... yet.

Next, he stole my friends Bluetooth ear-piece straight off of his ear. Before I could stop and say "Give it back" I had stood up, grabbed his arm, pilfered the ear-piece and elbowed this punk in the side of the head.

It was split up fairly quickly and I didn't get in any trouble, but I've always thought of myself as a fairly calm person. If I react this quickly to abuse/threats, I can only imagine what drew this kid to stab someone.

I don't think you're a horrible person, maybe not the most well thought out person, but you sound look a kind-hearted person who intends no harm to anyone, and that's enough for me.

Delritho

Aug 12, 2009
No you're not at fault, and anyone who thinks stabbing someone for putting a POPTART of all things on someones head is justifiable is a fucking moron.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
VicunaBlue said:
DaggerOfCompassion said:
VicunaBlue said:
DaggerOfCompassion said:
klaynexas3 said:
so, there's this kid who rides my bus, and one of my friends is also friends with the dude. my friend kind of messes around with the kid, so i did i bit of the same. he tended to laugh at it a bit, cause it wasn't like name calling, i mean, we'd tell a racist joke or two, but it wasn't strictly on him, we did it to must people, even each other. we'd also say his name in like a funny way, nothing really discriminating, just in like a cuban accent(by the way, he's cuban). so, yesterday, this other guy on our bus, that morning had a poptart, and put it on the dudes head. now, the dude stabbed my friend in the arm first with a shank he made out of a pen, thinking it was him. then, in the afternoon, he try's to do the same to the kid that actually put the poptart on his head. the kid punches the dude in the face. now, they get off at the same stop, so on the poptart dudes way home, the cuban kid stabs him, with a knife, in the chest, and it punctures his lung. he's now in a lot of trouble. now, my friend says that us messing with him, isn't what caused it, but the counselor at our school says otherwise. anyway, i want to know, am i at fault here? did i pretty much stab the guy because i messed with this one kid just sort of joking with him? or do you think he was already messed up and just had bad anger issues? just as some more information, he has had some violent behavior before i even really met him.
Well obviously you were at fault. Not fully of course, your friends helped, but you sure did a lot.
Fitting screen name, ehh?

No, you aren't. If he wasn't confident enough to ask you to stop, but had enough balls to shank someone, he probably has a few issues.
So OP racially mocks some kid and the kid responds with something other then gratitude and praise, so the kid who was mocked has issues? I think he was perfectly justified acting with violence against his peers who were violent to him.
If I am to believe the OP, the kid who shanked the other guy seemed to be playing along with it. Teenage kids fuck around with each other all the time, OP Probably thought that was what was going on.
With what the OP said, I know he is at fault. It doesn't make him right when the kid he was bullying started to play along and laugh, start to emulate the bullies.

What the kid did was a defense mechanism against bullies. I know because I was bullied when I was in school.

When someone is being bullied and nobody seems to care, even if you tell an adult about and nothing happens, you resort to desperate measures.

The kid that the OP talks about, mostly decided to laugh along with the bully and start emulating the bully, because the kid might have thought, like I thought in the past, that maybe if you join the bully, you will stop being bullied. If you are a part of the group, why would they keep bullying you?

That is what the kid's mentality most likely was. Then when the bullying still occurred even though the kid thought he had the problem solved, he lashed out, thinking it was his only way to stop the bullying.

Now I didn't do something like that when I was in school being bullied, but that is because I eventually just got a thick emotional skin and just ignored the bullies. The thing is that not everybody is strong enough to do that. The kid the OP talks about, must not have been strong enough to block out the wrong types of actions he could take.

Even though what the kid did was wrong, that he shouldn't have been stabbing people, I side with him.

I really like to see the bullies of the world to finally get what is coming to them. They need to learn that not everybody is going to take the crap they dish out. Eventually one of the kids being bullied will snap and beat the bully up side the head, or in this case stab the deserving bully.

Actions of bullying have consequences, bullies need to know that they possibly have a knife with their name on it for what they did.

The knife could be an actual knife, or the kid's fist, or gun, or in the proper case, an adult punishing the bully like he should be punished. To many adults these days just ignore bullying as just a part of life, they need to learn that it isn't. It is only part of life because people let it be.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Delritho said:
No you're not at fault, and anyone who thinks stabbing someone for putting a POPTART of all things on someones head is justifiable is a fucking moron.
You have obviously never been bullied. The OP is at fault. The world needs to stop defending bullies. What the kid did was unjustifiable, but it was understandable.

Some kids don't know how to deal with bullies. It is most likely the adults in this kids life weren't doing anything to stop the bullies. The kid didn't have the mental capability to deal with the situation, not everybody does.

Just because someone has problems dealing with things mentally, doesn't mean that if he or she stabs the bully for bulling him or her, that the bully is now exempt from fault.

Bullies need to understand that what they do have consequences. Most of the time the consequences are that people start to ignore them and think they are dickheads. But there is a part of the population that will retaliate with violence, because their anger builds up without a release, because nobody helps or defends them, so they take matters into their own hands. Yes it is wrong to do, but it is the bully's fault, because in the end it was the bully that drove the person to retaliate.

Paksenarrion

Mar 13, 2009
Successful Troll is Successful.

To clarify, the title of the thread, the grammatical errors, and the wall of text lead me to believe that this is a troll thread. If the title was, "Am I at fault?" or, "Did I cause him to stab other people?", the thread would sound more genuine.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
i think you did play a role in it. bullying can drive people to the breaking point. i know you probably didn't realize you were bullying, you were just having fun with your friend. but this type of bullying builds up, and eventually drives a person mad.

and are you a terrible person? no, I don't think so. you made mistakes, like everyone else. you are more a fool than a terrible person. i think many of us have been there before, bullying without even realizing it, just thinking of it as all fun and games, not realizing we are hurting someone deeply. but this should be a lesson for us all, to always take into account that, despite your intentions, your words can still cause great pain.

I am sorry you had to deal with this... remember what happened, but don't despair on it. this kid must have had many demons of his own

Delritho

Aug 12, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Delritho said:
words
Excuse me? I WAS bullied, but I never stabbed anybody, if you honestly think getting bullied is a justified reason to attempt to MURDER someone you are either insane or stupid.

Murder, attempted or otherwise, is never s justifiable response to anything. I don't care what the situation is. Arrest the guy doing to stabbing, he obviously isn't fit for society.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
You bullied him. You are at fault. You are an asshole, and I hope that you carry this for the rest of your life and realize that the old adage "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is a crock of shit.

I want to say so many horrible things to you, but I can't, because I value my place here in the Escapist community. Trust me though, if I said the things I wish to... you would not be a very happy camper.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Delritho said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Delritho said:
words
Excuse me? I WAS bullied, but I never stabbed anybody, if you honestly think getting bullied is a justified reason to attempt to MURDER someone you are either insane or stupid.

Murder, attempted or otherwise, is never s justifiable response to anything. I don't care what the situation is. Arrest the guy doing to stabbing, he obviously isn't fit for society.
You obviously didn't read what I said, I didn't say it was justified, I said it was understandable.

Two different words.

Bullies don't deserve death for what they do, but they need to know that their actions have consequences. And if the one being bullied acts out against the bullies, it is the fault of the bullies.

That is the problem with the world these days, more and more people are deciding that their actions don't have consequences. They won't take responsibility for what they do. It is a real fact in life that a bully could get killed for what he does. It isn't right, but it is still the bully's fault.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Sorry, double post. My computer wasn't loading my response, so I thought that it didn't get posted.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
You bullied him. You are at fault. You are an asshole, and I hope that you carry this for the rest of your life and realize that the old adage "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is a crock of shit.

I want to say so many horrible things to you, but I can't, because I value my place here in the Escapist community. Trust me though, if I said the things I wish to... you would not be a very happy camper.
then send them to me in a personal message. i don't think escapist will be mad at that. besides, i deserve it. what i thought was joking blew up, and i deserve whatever i have coming to me and i will most likely carry this with me forever

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Delritho said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Delritho said:
words

I was also bullied a great deal at a period in my life, and it drove me to dispair, depression, even contimplated suicide many times. words affect people different, some its merely brushes off there shoulder, and some its like a punch to the gut. it builds up over time, and can be very painful. it can haunt a person for their entire life, bring a person to the point where they are ready to explode on the next person who makes them feel hurt. was what this child did alright, definitely not! but i understand how he got to that point, and i feel pity for him.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Lord Mountbatten Reborn said:
I have no idea who is who in this story. I hear "this guy", "this dude", "this kid" with no definitive labelling.

But from what I understood: Who the hell puts a poptart on someone's head? Waste of a good confectionery treat.
LOL I was thinking the same thing.....Just put a pop-tart on his head? Im thinking they just Placed it on there like a Hat.....o_O Weird.

All joking aside the dude @OP shares a bit of the blame, even if he didn't think he was hurting him.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Paksenarrion said:
Successful Troll is Successful.

To clarify, the title of the thread, the grammatical errors, and the wall of text lead me to believe that this is a troll thread. If the title was, "Am I at fault?" or, "Did I cause him to stab other people?", the thread would sound more genuine.
wait, you think that all the stuff i said that happened is just me trolling people? wow, no, i'm just that stupid when it comes to grammar. this is legitimate. it's not trolling. when i saw your comment at first when it just said successful troll is successful i thought you meant i was a troll for causing this kid to act out like he did. but yeah, this is a real story. one that i have caused.