Poll: Did your PS2 ever break?

Drucifer

Oct 3, 2010
Im on my third fat one, and If you want to use it, every once in a while, whatever disk is inside will start skipping for no reason, and the only way for it to start reading the disk is to lift the corner up about a half-inch and drop it. Luckily my gf had a slim one for us to use.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Only had 1 ps2 break on me and that was one I got this year second hand. Bought a Slimline from Amazon in January this year but the laser broke a week after getting it, got a working replacement now.

Still got my first one though, a big chunky one from 2001 (I think), that's still going strong, never had a problem with it. *fingers crossed*

Not like I don't use them at all either. Haven't got a 360 or PS3 so I'm using every day still practically. Quality console.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
The initial brick that came out failed after.. 7 1/2 years of use, I think.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
I had one of the first ones shortly after the console launch and up until I gave it away about a year ago it worked like it was brand new.

Man, did I put some gaming hours on that thing too.

Direwolf750

Apr 14, 2010
Really, theres a difference between a PS2 and a PS2 Slim. My oldest PS2, almost the day the things came out, hadn't given me trouble for years until one day it keeled over dead. Then I got a Slim. I'll say this right now. DAMN THE SLIM TO HELL MAY IT BURN FOREVER AND HAVE IT'S EYES PLUCKED OUT BY EAGLES EVERY DAY FOR ETERNITY. It overheated constantly, wouldn't play anything newer than kingdom hearts one unless I covered it with water tight ice packs. Literally, ice packs. The original is where it is all good, stay there and never ever ever ever leave.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
I took out the fan, blew at it for a while and got back to playing :3

Speaking of which, how the hell does a fan rust over if it's inside the bloody console?

4nthr4x

Jun 5, 2010
I had my PS2 the day it was released.
Last game was GTA San Andreas which I played alot.
Then one day, the power button on the back stopped working, never bothered to open it up and see if I could fix it.

I was contemplating for buying a cheap smaller one, but I don't see it anymore in stores. meh, go PC

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
not that it broke, it just stopped reading discs, so I changed it for the better, smaller, cooler PS2 slim(or whatever its name is).

captnb2thep

Dec 30, 2010
well i had 2 ps2s, one was my launch ps2 that never broke even to this day, the other is my ps2 slim which has some sorta short in the motherboard so the plug is finnicky and the av jack is screwed.

Raistlinhawke

Nov 28, 2009
The disc drive became cluttered enough for the system to fail to read discs, but that's an easy enough problem to fix without sending it in for maintenance. And that's after six years of perfect ownership.

Sean0925

Nov 8, 2010
Mine still works for all the years that I've had it, but the disk tray tends to be a bit annoying as I have to keep hold of it to stop it just going straight back in.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Never broke. It may have been because I won some sort of silver limited edition but I must say that I never had a single problem with that console. Wait, yes I did! I HAD 4 OF THOSE SHITTY CONTROLLERS BREAK! Seriously, dualshock sucks =(

ddrfr33k

Nov 11, 2010
The only things I've had to repair/replace on my console were realigning the laser (the little white gear trick) and replace the controller port in one of my consoles. I have 3, but keep a 4th for spare parts when I need it.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
I was kind of stupid when I was younger and chose to leave it on, playing a PS1 game, for about 4-5 days straight. It got totally boinked. I had to pay to have it fixed at a shop nearby that specialized in it.

Not a single problem before and since. God I love my PS2. That's including all the PS1 games, PS2 games and DVDs I play on it on an almost daily basis.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
It broke, but it was my own fault.
Tripped on a wire, PS2 came crashing down.
Served me flawlessly for ages before it broke though.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I have a friend who went through at least 5 PS2s. Poor guy is just ridiculously unlucky when it comes to the PS2.

Personally, I've only had a single PS2. It was cocking up like hell towards the end of it's lifespan before finally croaking though.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
The front of the disk tray fell off and the rubber came off my analogue sticks but my old fat PS2 from '03 functioned perfectly. Even when I gave it to my school's common room and someone thought it'd be funny to put a slice of ham in the tray, we still managed to get some lunch time Tekken Tournies on.

T-004

Mar 26, 2008
I've had 3 fatboys die on me since my first in 03, 2 due to laser burnout and one due to total system failure :/

Got a slim about 2 & 1/2 years ago and it still runs fine.

ivarsa15

Nov 21, 2009
My household has had ONE PS2 since it's release back in december of 2000. Never broke once, but all our ssx games are now unplayable (because of overuse). We played on it regular basis until 2006 when we got our wii. Now it is just gathering dust.