Poll: Do Metal fans like any other genres?

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
Nearing9 said:
I listen to a lot of metal such as Death, Gojira, Bolt Thrower, Blind Guardian, Agalloch, and Drudkh. I also like Kenny Rogers, the White Stripes, Sigur Ros, MF Doom and Deadmau5.

You shouldn't assume that just because someone is a fan of X genre doesn't mean they don't enjoy other things. It's impossible to know someone's background in his or her musical taste just by going off a false preconception.
Ok I thought I had said it but.

I've known people who only like metal (or at least claime to). The point was to see how many people were actually like that.

thefrizzlefry

Feb 20, 2009
I'm a fairly die-hard extreme metal (thrash, doom, sludge, stoner, death, black, grind, d-beat/crossover, etc.) kind of guy, but, when I was a kid, I was exposed mostly to my parents' musical tastes. My dad is a big fan of pub and garage rock and rockabilly (think Brinsley Scwarz/The Jam/The Stooges and Wanda Jackson/The Stray Cats/The Reverend Horton Heat), my mom is a big fan of synthpop, electronica, and alternative hip-hop (Duran Duran/Gary Numan, Moby/Daft Punk, and Outkast/Digital Underground), and they're both fans of new wave, early punk, and 80's alternative rock (Elvis Costello, The Clash, They Might Be Giants, REM, and Devo received heavy rotation), so, yeah. I tend to gravitate towards those genres as well as metal. My favorite non-metal bands are The Clash, They Might Be Giants, The Replacements, REM, The Smiths, and Talking Heads.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
I like metal, heavy metal, nu metal and whatever System of a Down is, I also like a lot of other music. So yes metal fans can like other genres.

Dominus Nox

Oct 21, 2009
I also know a few one dimensional metalheads. As far as they're concerned, if it's not metal it's not music.
I'm a metal fan yet have Bob Dylan, Voltaire, Gorillaz, Afroman and such cycling through my usual play-list of Moon Sorrow, Cradle of Filth, Slipknot, Iron Maiden and crap like that.

Apr 29, 2010
If it makes me feel good while listening to it, chances are I'll like it. That goes for Metal, House, Electronica, Punk Rock, Classical, Jazz, Industrial, Drum and Bass, Hip Hop, you name it.

animemetalhead

Dec 15, 2009
I'm into metal. Okay, well, it's lighter than the "brootal" metal that trve metalheads like. (mostly As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Trivium, Bullet For My Valentine).

But I also like post-grunge, hard rock, classic rock, and a little bit of electronic music. The only genres I actively hate are modern pop and rap in pretty much any form.

Hell, the Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt soundtrack completely changed my tone on techno/dance music.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I'm a huge power and symphonic metal fan, and I do have some favorites in thrash and classic heavy metal.

I'm also a huge J-Pop fan. Make of that what you will.

Also, a lot of hard rock and symphonic music (particularly impressionist and modern).

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I'm a metal head at heart but I listen to lots of different genres. Trance, Rock, Dubstep, good rap, and even some pop.

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
I love metal but I listen to just about anything that isn't rap or country as well. Some good folk, some classical. Most people who are intelligent enough to understand why metal is awesome (complex instrumentation, intricate rhythms etc.) will probably appreciate other quality music as well.

samuraiweasel

Mar 19, 2010
Metal i like : Metallica, System of a Down, Kamelot, Rage Against the Machine

Othe stuff i listen to: Franz Ferdinand, Daft Punk, Air, AC/DC, Breaking Benjamin, Eagles, Yellowcard, The Last Goodnight, etc

Basically most people i know listen to varied genres of music... and they are normal.....

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
viranimus said:
I think that is a silly assertion. I personally like loud and agressive music, but I also listen to classic Stoner-esque rock like Pink FLoyd, Led Zeppelin, Black sabbath. I have a classical music background so I have a great appreciation for true classical music as well as modern incarnations and infusions such as...

I also get into some rock. I have appreciation for blues, Some extremely selective country such as Johnny Cash and country's thrash metal cousin Bluegrass. There are even a few rap/hiphop songs I do like.

More to the point I have appreciation for any music that is well made and requires an amount of skill and talent to create.

The notion that metal heads only like metal is sort of stereotypical nonsense, and if you do see it its more of the exception rather than the rule, though it is understandable because in many cases the worst case example is the most visible.
wow that was awsome

I also like some more orchastral stuff (I have the entire tron soundtrack, never seen the movie) and other random movie tracks

I think metal and classical is a match made in heavan

anyway most peopel dont just solley like one genre we need variety and different music suits different moods

oh and I also like rap and Disturbed are my favorite band

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Yeah. Mostly listen to punk second to metal, but also alternative/rock, ska, trance, even a rap song or two.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Electronica, indie, JPOP, alternative, older country, classical and straight up rock & roll.
So yes, I do like genres that aren't metal.

Tennou486

Dec 26, 2008
I've listened to the occasional classical music and jazz in addition to my vast collection of metal.