Poll: Do you believe in ghosts?

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
DoPo said:
Da Orky Man said:
DoPo said:
Hazy992 said:
DoPo said:
But think about it - there is nothing to disprove ghosts. What if hallucinations are actually caused by ghosts and all that?

Is that a joke or...?
Just pointing stuff out. The ghosts exist in an indeterminate state - nothing really points toward their existence or non-existence. I think we can draw a conclusion from that, though - Schrodinger is not having a really fun time after his death.
There is also nothing to disprove that I have a pet unicorn with a jetpack, but it doesn't mean I do have one. You can't prove a negative, it would be wise to remember that.
Seriously, what the hell people? When I say you haven't disproved them, I mean just that, you haven't disproved them. You know what's wise - not everything is a binary issue. So stop trying to make me think stuff I don't want to. Ghosts are not disproved =/= they exist.

For the record, I'll just state again something I've said before: I believe in things that can be proven, directly or indirectly. That which cannot be proven should not be accepted or rejected as truth. Blind faith is the root of ignorance and stupidity.

That's wisdom right there. Remember it.
So...you don't reject anything at all, then.

The same things you say for ghosts could be said for Santa, unicorns (with jetpacks), fairies that hold water molecules together, aliens that steal your food at night, replicate it, and put the copies back right before you wake up every morning, or anything else.

All of these should not be rejected, according to you, because to disclaim these all as childish (so long as they are without evidence) would be equivalent to "blind faith." According to your very words.

No one here is claiming that ghosts absolutely cannot exist, only that, since we lack any evidence (like with unicorns), it would be foolish to claim that they do exist.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
kortin said:
Sure, why not. I don't believe in Heaven, so unless we do just fade out of existence after death, I find the thought of ghosthood slightly...relaxing. Better than some place where everything is supposed to be good and happy. That would get boring real quick-like.
relaxing ey ...

think about how many people died, how they died, old people, murder victims, childbirth deaths

hf sleeping

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
100% ruling out anything seems quite dumb really. I don't thing there is a god, but there might be. Same with ghosts, I really really doubt it, so I voted no, but there could be. You can never be 100% completely sure of anything. If ghosts were proven even then I wouldn't 100% believe. We could be in the matrix right now, and if it turns out there are ghosts it could be bored people in the real world playing tricks on us o_O

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
chadachada123 said:
fairies that hold water molecules together
I'm not much into chemistry, but I thought these were disproved.

Anyway, yes - I would like more proof before I accept or reject something. I'm not outright dismissing things because they are "childish" but they do exist in an undefined status until then.

chadachada123 said:
No one here is claiming that ghosts absolutely cannot exist
And yet, there were people that assumed that I was saying they do and they were not OK with that at all. That's real logical thinking there "Well, I'm waiting for sufficient proof for the existence of ghosts but I'll also dismiss any [imagined] claims that they do without a second thought." Sounds fair and scientific. Not.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
I believe in ghosts.. i believe that there has to be some form of afterlife.. but as much as i believe in them id still be scared absolutely stiff if i saw one.. doesnt stop me from wanting to go on a ghost tour once in my life though.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
DoPo said:
Eclpsedragon said:
Self correction: Weegie, or Ouija
It is indeed supposed to be Ouija. But I think I like Weegee better.

Hazy992 said:
No. There's no real evidence to suggest they exist and unless the day comes where there is evidence, I won't believe in them.
But think about it - there is nothing to disprove ghosts. What if hallucinations are actually caused by ghosts and all that?
A hypothesis being untestable is NOT a testament to its strength, it is a testament to its weakness.

If there is no way to disprove or prove a hypothesis, then there is no way it can be used to make any predictions about what would happen if you did something about it.

Put another way...
many people (I call them ID-iots) believe the Theory of Evolution is either bunk or that Creationism is on equal footing with it. These people are WRONG.

Yes, Creationism has technically been around longer than the theory of evolution, but, it has only been repeatedly asserted in that time, never proven. It also hasn't been disproven... but then... how does one go about disproving/proving the existence of a being that is supposed to be 'outside of nature', and therefore undetectable by any of our methods?

Evolution on the other hand, has been thoroughly contested both by the scientific community and... some other people for 200+ years, and it is still held up as our best explanation for the diversity of life on Earth. And what would disprove it? Just one fossil in the wrong place. All it would take is to find say, a modern bunny rabbit's fossil in the Pre-Cambrean soil. No such anachronistic fossils have been found.

ON topic: No, I don't believe in ghosts. No real evidence to even suggest that they exist. Just people's imaginations getting ahead of them at best, and people going stark-raving buggo at worst.

Also, fuck those people who claim they can hold a conversation with someone's dead relatives, they are nothing more than charlatans taking advantage of someone else's grief for a buck. These people should be sued out of business at every opportunity.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
TheDoctor455 said:
DoPo said:
Eclpsedragon said:
Self correction: Weegie, or Ouija
It is indeed supposed to be Ouija. But I think I like Weegee better.

Hazy992 said:
No. There's no real evidence to suggest they exist and unless the day comes where there is evidence, I won't believe in them.
A hypothesis being untestable is NOT a testament to its strength, it is a testament to its weakness.

If there is no way to disprove or prove a hypothesis, then there is no way it can be used to make any predictions about what would happen if you did something about it.

Put another way...
many people (I call them ID-iots) believe the Theory of Evolution is either bunk or that Creationism is on equal footing with it. These people are WRONG.

Yes, Creationism has technically been around longer than the theory of evolution, but, it has only been repeatedly asserted in that time, never proven. It also hasn't been disproven... but then... how does one go about disproving/proving the existence of a being that is supposed to be 'outside of nature', and therefore undetectable by any of our methods?

Evolution on the other hand, has been thoroughly contested both by the scientific community and... some other people for 200+ years, and it is still held up as our best explanation for the diversity of life on Earth. And what would disprove it? Just one fossil in the wrong place. All it would take is to find say, a modern bunny rabbit's fossil in the Pre-Cambrean soil. No such anachronistic fossils have been found.
I'm debating whether to start calling anyone who doesn't have a clue what I'm talking about, an idiot and leave it at that. I won't for now, though. However, you did write five paragraphs that were besides the point. Which is...applaudable in some ways, I guess.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Midgeamoo said:
I think you can easily see that ghosts are a manmade concept by the fact that nobody ever reports a cow ghost, or a dinosaur ghost, or a whale ghost etc etc. Believing in ghosts assumes that we are something supernatural in ourselves in this world to have evolved some sort of spirit that other creatures don't have.
Pretty sure people have reported animal ghosts before. I'm not saying that I believe them just that it has happened.

The most evil pervasive feeling I have ever felt was at an old concentration camp on the french border. That's the only thing that nudges my scepticism a bit. It was pretty oppressive.

I certainly don't believe in ghosts but I don't know what the hell that was either.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
I'd like to believe they exist but I live in a big old house where a woman committed suicide and I've never seen so much as a whisp of a ghost.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The closest thing to objective proof of ghosts is the jumbled background noise that some people have tried to pass off as the cries of ghosts. And even that is incredibly subjective, relying on the listener to make out the speech patterns amongst the other crap which is conveniently dismissed. If it does pick up the voices of ghosts, is it just the one ghost that speaks clearly and in English, or is it having a seizure whilst trying to speak? The most common form of evidence is completely subjective, being anecdotes. I really have no reason to believe that ghosts exist, having never seen one myself, nor having seen proof of one that cannot be explained by "That person is delusional".

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Logically, I kind of find it hard to believe in them, because there isn't much in the way of credible hard evidence. But on some primal level, it would explain things at times. Like the kettle in the kitchen that randomly started boiling itself one night after everyone was in bed. Or last night where I woke up and there was this shadow in the shape of a person standing over my bed that I auto-punched out at and it disappeared in a swirl, dog was growling/grunting too which is what woke me up (he slept on my bed), that kind of freaked me out a bit (as my girlish scream could attest to at the time). But I know that your mind supposedly plays tricks on you when you first wake up sometimes (also, the Panadeine for my headache may have had something to do with it), so.. yeah.. But ghosts would be a much simpler explanation. It would explain may odd things that have happened in this house over the years, but as far as I know no one has died here (I think.. maybe) and the house is only 40-50 years old.

Maybe Ghosts are just the ultimate trolls. The jerks.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
NO.

I absolutely hate when an adult is telling a story about seeing a Ghost, its completely embarrassing I don't know where to look.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Kragg said:
kortin said:
Sure, why not. I don't believe in Heaven, so unless we do just fade out of existence after death, I find the thought of ghosthood slightly...relaxing. Better than some place where everything is supposed to be good and happy. That would get boring real quick-like.
relaxing ey ...

think about how many people died, how they died, old people, murder victims, childbirth deaths

hf sleeping
Your point is...?

Having any sort of certainty in what happens after your body stops working relaxes ANYONE, no matter what actually happens.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I never wanted to believe in ghosts, till I saw one make a face at me through a window in a bathroom 2 stories up while I was brushing my teeth. I vote yes.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
No, I don't not believe in ghosts because they always end up explainable and more importantly because I'm a catholic. They are really cool in fiction though. American Horror Story? That series was messed up.

Kragg

Mar 30, 2010
kortin said:
Kragg said:
kortin said:
relaxing ey ...

hf sleeping
Your point is...?

Having any sort of certainty in what happens after your body stops working relaxes ANYONE, no matter what actually happens.
no it doesn't... if it was certain that there would be a tormenting afterlife how would that relax you? or ANYONE as you like to capslock. in that case ignorance is better than certainty

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
I don't know, mainly because I have the hindsight of seeing how we progressed up to this point. If you can learn anything from human history its that we really don't know much of.. well.. anything.