Poll: Do you compete in any sports?

Cmwissy

Aug 26, 2009
I'm slim yet unhealthy

I breath like an obese person and my joints hurt.

Yay me.

Lord_Z

May 23, 2009
Chancecall said:
I am a keen archer (Recurve only) and GNAS member. However, having said that, I am also only a fair weather shooter which some would argue doesn't make me a REAL toxophilite.

Lord_Z said:
The only sport I have ever spent some time performing is archery. One of the most badass sports om all time but not healthy, so I quit.
Boooooo. Not healthy? Pulling 50 lbs 72 times (1 round) on a recurve is no walk in the park. Took me 3 years of training to be able to pull that much!

Mind you, I suppose it depends on why you are shooting in the first place. I agree, it is easy to not get any physical benefit out of it, particularly in the first few months where all you get is nothing but horrible horrible pain for clipping your arm on the bow string over and over. That is certainly not healthy, just painful.
I did archery for a year and when I quit I was using a bow with 25 ibs power(I think, it was three years ago).
Don't get me wrong I loved doing it. It was (is) exactly my kind of sport, kinda slow paced. The reason I quit is that after 1 year I couldn't borrow a bow from the club anymore and had to buy my own, and at the time I was still in school and simply couldn't afford one.

What I meant by "unhealthy" in not that it wares on your muscles, it bends your spine. I had my last school health-checkup just before I quit and my back was bent. It was not permanent and really nothing I worried about, but I felt it was safest to quit anyway.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
If by football you mean European football aka American Soccer then yes, i play Soccer. Sometimes basketball if i feel like it, i also go hiking and mountain biking if that counts.

caelover

Apr 8, 2009
I play volleyball. I'm pretty good at it I must admit (It's like a really good video game you play with friends. And when you block another girls spike, and totally make her sprawl for it? Almost better than beating your highest score.). And it's kinda sad but I really like it because it's like video games...but free.

Chancecall

Money to burn
Nov 18, 2009
Lord_Z said:
I did archery for a year and when I quit I was using a bow with 25 ibs power(I think, it was three years ago).
Don't get me wrong I loved doing it. It was (is) exactly my kind of sport, kinda slow paced. The reason I quit is that after 1 year I couldn't borrow a bow from the club anymore and had to buy my own, and at the time I was still in school and simply couldn't afford one.

What I meant by "unhealthy" in not that it wares on your muscles, it bends your spine. I had my last school health-checkup just before I quit and my back was bent. It was not permanent and really nothing I worried about, but I felt it was safest to quit anyway.
Mmmmmm probably for the best then, no good knackering your back in for it. (My bad for not knowing all the facts before berating you for saying its unhealthy, sorry!) To get round that issue, it just takes a bit of conditioning in the gym and a good coach to watch your form.

You're right about the cost. I was lucky enough to pick it up at Uni, so had a club bow for three years. Had to borrow money to buy my own after. It cost more than my car did. *wince*

Have you ever thought about picking it back up casually? Its the best feeling just to shoot a few short ends on a sunny Sunday afternoon. needn't pull anything extreme to still do the sport and you can get a basic training bow on the cheap? Sorry, totally press ganging you back into archery, I'll stop now, its just a shame that you enjoyed it but found it inaccessible (and/or) impractical.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Not professionally or anything, but I compete in Gears of War 2 on a regular basis.

... what?

Seriously though, games have evolved to the point where they can be called a sport. My roommate is, as I speak, training for an official Starcraft tournament coming up soon. You should see the industry in Korea: they have Starcraft matches aired on TV, with commentators and everything.

Lord_Z

May 23, 2009
Chancecall said:
Mmmmmm probably for the best then, no good knackering your back in for it. (My bad for not knowing all the facts before berating you for saying its unhealthy, sorry!) To get round that issue, it just takes a bit of conditioning in the gym and a good coach to watch your form.

You're right about the cost. I was lucky enough to pick it up at Uni, so had a club bow for three years. Had to borrow money to buy my own after. It cost more than my car did. *wince*

Have you ever thought about picking it back up casually? Its the best feeling just to shoot a few short ends on a sunny Sunday afternoon. needn't pull anything extreme to still do the sport and you can get a basic training bow on the cheap? Sorry, totally press ganging you back into archery, I'll stop now, its just a shame that you enjoyed it but found it inaccessible (and/or) impractical.
No offense meant none taken.

Yes I have. But the thing is that I still have to buy that bow and I am just as poor now as I was then (ok not that poor but still).
To me archery was brilliant because it was just like exercising but instead of lifting metal you were shooting stuff and instead of boring it was fun.

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
The only thing from that list that I play is Baseball, but I'm also an avid hunter.

I spend alot more time hunting then I do playing Baseball.