Poll: Do you know/are you learning a second language?

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
yman15 said:
Zarkov said:
Hello mono-, bi-, and multilingual escapees, what (second) language are you learning and why do you learn it? and if you aren't learning one, why not?

It's a question of mine, because here at my high school (in the US) there a maybe 3 people in the entire school that actually like learning a second language. Learning a second language in this school, and in general America, doesn't seem very popular and I'm not sure why. Learning a second language doesn't seem to be a very popular decision in the states (and at my school).

So what's your opinion about foreign language, Escapist community?

Oh, und, ich hab Deutsch seit zwei Jahren jetzt gelernt, und ich liebe Deutsch. Tut mir leid, wenn mein Deutsch nicht perfekt ist. (Use Google translate :D)
Really Because in my high school also in the U.S.A I've been told that most colleges require at least 2 years of a foreign language. So everyone's taking a foreign language class
Anyways I'm in my 2nd year of French right now and hope to learn Spanish and Japanese in my lifetime
Yeah, I said that there's only three people who like taking a foreign language, but the rest are simply taking the class because it's requirement.

And I really think that foreign language should be taught way earlier in school, like some Eurpean countries do.

CerealKiller214

Apr 23, 2011
Well, I speak German and English fluently. Because I'm in a stupid school I had to decide between studying Latin or French. I hate French and now that I have a lot of Latin classes I hate Latin.
But I recently started studying Japanese 'cause I'm cool and stuff. And a retard who likes studying 2 languages at once.
Yeah so I'm at most bilingual. 2 languages fluently, Latin just misses some vocabulary and in Japanese I know a few words, about 15 characters in Hiragana and a bit of grammar.

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
Arina Love said:
My main language is Russian, at 7 y.o i started learning English in my language orientated school, now i know it good, i think. Well at least i have no problems with communication. 3 years ago started learning Japanese, progression is slow but i'm getting there. In summary i know 2 languages and another one is on 35%.
Привет хД тут маловато русских, я даже не ожидала, что кто-то тут будет. Я, кстати, тоже японский учу, но только в этом году начала, так что мало пока что знаю. Но нравится :3

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Anglais es mon languege de premier et je parle tres petit francais.

I hope that was about right.

Takoshake

Nov 2, 2011
I know English and some Spanish. Currently studying Japanese. I was hoping it could help me get a job where most of the people are native speakers. I didn't.... Also, I wanted to learn something new and was tired of Spanish. I really enjoy the class and it's not as hard as people say.

yman15

Jul 11, 2011
Zarkov said:
yman15 said:
Zarkov said:
Hello mono-, bi-, and multilingual escapees, what (second) language are you learning and why do you learn it? and if you aren't learning one, why not?

It's a question of mine, because here at my high school (in the US) there a maybe 3 people in the entire school that actually like learning a second language. Learning a second language in this school, and in general America, doesn't seem very popular and I'm not sure why. Learning a second language doesn't seem to be a very popular decision in the states (and at my school).

Oh, und, ich hab Deutsch seit zwei Jahren jetzt gelernt, und ich liebe Deutsch. Tut mir leid, wenn mein Deutsch nicht perfekt ist. (Use Google translate :D)
Really Because in my high school also in the U.S.A I've been told that most colleges require at least 2 years of a foreign language. So everyone's taking a foreign language class
Anyways I'm in my 2nd year of French right now and hope to learn Spanish and Japanese in my lifetime
Yeah, I said that there's only three people who like taking a foreign language, but the rest are simply taking the class because it's requirement.
And I really think that foreign language should be taught way earlier in school, like some Eurpean countries do.
Oh that makes scene because my school is the same way. I apologize for my reckless reading. But I have to admit I don't enjoy my french class to much. As much as I like the idea of being a french speaking badass.The class itself if extremely dull and repetitive. Well actually its the class I dislike the most due to how boring it is.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
open trap said:
Zarkov said:

:D Ich bin in meiner zweite jahre von Deutsch auch!
Ich liebe Deutsch auch! In meine klasse ich habe mein guten freund Paterick. Siene und meine Deutsch sind sehr gut fuer Deutsche zwie.
I cant spell well though :(
But basically I am one of the best in my class, so if that was horrible, than that says something about the rest of my class.
Nein, es war sehr gut geschrieben! Und man wird besser schreiben, wenn man viel übt. Und ich bin in meiner dritte jahr, aber ich hab nur zwei ganzen Jahre gehabt.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Somehow, I'm surprised by all the German love in this thread.

Anyway, I was raised and still live in a part of the Netherlands where most people don't speak in standard Dutch but use a weird mix of German and Dutch, although I won't count this language as a 'language' ( although you can find dictionaries for it and what not ), it is because of this that I can understand pretty much everything said in German, I have no trouble reading it either, but I don't like writing in German nor do I like speaking it.

I'd like to think that I am pretty fluent in English, having one of those language proficiency certificates of the highest grade and what not. Got accustomed to the language through video games and television. Most movies being broadcast on Dutch tv are in English with Dutch subtitles, not only does this help children to learn to read fast, it also makes them familiarize themselves with the sounds of a foreign language, it is pretty nifty, maybe our eastern neighbors should look into it one day. *wink at germans*

Then finally there would be Japanese, I spent four years of my life majoring in Japanese and Oriental Studies, for some reason. Had some other stuff on the side as well, but it was mostly just studying Japanese in a casual, formal and business like setting. Even lived in Japan for about 9 months during my studies. So Japanese is also one of the languages I like to think I am fluent in, trying to play on the safe side so I tried a N2 proficiency test and passed it, so... yeah. Too bad those tests are so damn expensive...

So my languages would be: Dutch, German, English, Japanese
Did 5 years of studying French during middle/highschool, but I pretty much flunked every test because I couldn't be bothered to study, also did a year of Spanish, but that knowledge has long since left my head. And did 4 years of Latin during this period, pretty funny to see where some words come from in English / other languages.

As for learning a second language, I think that everyone should learn a second language, it is fun, will make you understand a certain culture better and well.. it is just fun.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
yman15 said:
Zarkov said:
yman15 said:
Zarkov said:

Oh that makes scene because my school is the same way. I apologize for my reckless reading. But I have to admit I don't enjoy my french class to much. As much as I like the idea of being a french speaking badass.The class itself if extremely dull and repetitive. Well actually its the class I dislike the most due to how boring it is.
Yeah, I agree. Class is painful when learning a new language, but it seriously pays off in the boatloads when you can actually talk to someone in a foreign language. It's awesome when I get to talk to my uncle, because we end speaking in German the whole time and the boring classes really paid off.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
darksuccubus said:
Arina Love said:
My main language is Russian, at 7 y.o i started learning English in my language orientated school, now i know it good, i think. Well at least i have no problems with communication. 3 years ago started learning Japanese, progression is slow but i'm getting there. In summary i know 2 languages and another one is on 35%.
Привет хД тут маловато русских, я даже не ожидала, что кто-то тут будет. Я, кстати, тоже японский учу, но только в этом году начала, так что мало пока что знаю. Но нравится :3
Приветик ^_^ Да, Русских маловато, но всё-же есть ^_^ Японский сложный, говорить и понимать устную речь я могу, но вот писать и читать не как не поддаётся. Изучаю я его самопально, с учителем эффект наверно был бы лучше.

Captain Schpack

Apr 22, 2009
Yes, because my school is forcing me to learn it but I don't mind. Spanish is very common where I live so it helps that I know some of it. Also, I am trying to learn Russian of my own accord.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I'm learning Italian simply by choice (I love the sound of it).
But I'm also going to start learning Korean in the next month or so, out of necessity.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
bluegate said:
Somehow, I'm surprised by all the German love in this thread.

Anyway, I was raised and still live in a part of the Netherlands where most people don't speak in standard Dutch but use a weird mix of German and Dutch, although I won't count this language as a 'language' ( although you can find dictionaries for it and what not ), it is because of this that I can understand pretty much everything said in German, I have no trouble reading it either, but I don't like writing in German nor do I like speaking it.

I'd like to think that I am pretty fluent in English, having one of those language proficiency certificates of the highest grade and what not. Got accustomed to the language through video games and television. Most movies being broadcast on Dutch tv are in English with Dutch subtitles, not only does this help children to learn to read fast, it also makes them familiarize themselves with the sounds of a foreign language, it is pretty nifty, maybe our eastern neighbors should look into it one day. *wink at germans*

Then finally there would be Japanese, I spent four years of my life majoring in Japanese and Oriental Studies, for some reason. Had some other stuff on the side as well, but it was mostly just studying Japanese in a casual, formal and business like setting. Even lived in Japan for about 9 months during my studies. So Japanese is also one of the languages I like to think I am fluent in, trying to play on the safe side so I tried a N2 proficiency test and passed it, so... yeah. Too bad those tests are so damn expensive...

So my languages would be: Dutch, German, English, Japanese
Did 5 years of studying French during middle/highschool, but I pretty much flunked every test because I couldn't be bothered to study, also did a year of Spanish, but that knowledge has long since left my head. And did 4 years of Latin during this period, pretty funny to see where some words come from in English / other languages.

As for learning a second language, I think that everyone should learn a second language, it is fun, will make you understand a certain culture better and well.. it is just fun.
You probably get this often, but you're more fluent than most of the Americans I know over here. lol.

But yeah, I agree, everyone should learn another language but it doesn't seem like America has caught on (I live here, so meh.) . I mean sure your required 2 years in a foreign language is cool and all but why doesn't America just start having children learn foreign language instead of high schoolers? I barely understand, but oh well.

And yeah, I wish I knew that many foreign languages. But as it is learning German is hard enough.

Oh and uh... watashi wa Zarkov desu! :D

Plumerou

Mar 7, 2011
i know english and spanish (being spanish my native tongue), but my only little problem is that my english is a weird mix of "british english" and "american english", the reason being that in my school they teached the british one, and the american i learned from playing games with a dictionary on my lap to be honest, online gaming also and my absolute refusal to play any game that has been dubbed in spanish (there are some that are actually good, but most are just awful to be honest once you hear the voices and words you could say as they were intended).

also im considering learning another language, when the time comes, right now i want to perfect my english and then focus on something else, been thinking about german actually or russian (since im studying right now to be an engineer).

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I speak German, English, a bit of French and currently learning Japanese.
Shouldn't forget my native language, Bosnian.

There is also some Latin from high school.

I can say I'm a polyglot.

Zarkov

Mar 26, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
I speak German, English, a bit of French and currently learning Japanese.
Shouldn't forget my native language, Bosnian.

There is also some Latin from high school.

I can say I'm a polyglot.
And you know, with all those languages in your head... which one do you use for thinking? haha

EpicEps

Nov 29, 2011
SenorNemo said:
Estaba estudiando español en el colegio por 4 años, y aún puedo hablarlo y escribirlo bastante bien. Ya no estoy asistando a clases de español porque ahora estoy asistando a la universidad, pero siempre estoy aprendiendo más por el internet y lo practicando con cosas como este thread (fans de anime hispanohablantes son un bien modo especialmente para mi).

だけど、今日本語を勉強してる。まだ下手だけどがんばっているよ。ぶんぽうはむずかしくないと思うでもそのかんじはちょっと。たのしいだけどたくさん練習した法がいい。
Su palabras en Japonés, como usanos? Quando uso Japonés con este, solos numberos fueron y nada de la hiragana o katakana. Es el ordenador o un programa? Lo siento de español de mi es mal, no hablé con un otro en tiempo grande.