Poll: Do you know more than one language?

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
-Torchedini- said:
I know, You should really fix your th too, It makes reading your post almost almost a job
I quite like the thorn m'self. Surprised not to see a single eth, though.

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
Canadian.
Pretty much only speak English, but if I were to hear or read something that's in French I'd have a vague idea of what's being said based on what few words in the French language I do know.
And I'm pretty sure I know how to say I don't speak French...
Je ne parle pas Francais.
I never really learned the language entirely because my local area is a pretty bland small town which mostly just has Caucasians who only speak English, mostly due to the fact that such a large portion of them are Americans living in Canada and the area is so near the border. I would hear the language all the time if I were to just walk down the street of a major city like Toronto or Vancouver, but I've only ever gone to a city for family gatherings and the rest of my family only really speaks English.

Slightly unrelated fact: My area is so non-multicultural that I've only seen about a dozen or so people in my life who weren't white in person, and most of them I barely know or see and most of them I only met after meeting them in a city. About 7 of them are Asian friends of the family who I only see every couple of years or so, I had one friend who was from the Philippines that moved away a few years ago, 2 Black guys and 1 Black girl who I had met at the mental ward at a hospital and haven't really seen again ever since I left there and 1 Asian kid and a couple of Black girls who I pass by regularly but rarely talk to.

FateOrFatality

Mar 27, 2010
I know a fair bit of Chinese, Italian, French and Latin, but I'm far from fluent in any of them. So, I just voted for one language only.

CplDustov

May 7, 2009
English, French, Spanish from there i can mash things together to get by in Italian and Portuguese to a VERY limited extent... can't remember much German from School but it's in there somewhere.

My grandfather was Swiss my parents French grew up in Scotland and now live in Mexico.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
About 6 years of French lessons, and I know less than I used to. At least I used to be able to say "Sorry, I can't speak French" in french.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Dutch (yay!) English and a bit of German. I did follow mandatory classes in french in highschool, but I banned it from the inner parts of my psyche.

Rinky78

May 3, 2010
I'm from Finland, so Finnish + English, Swedish, German (although a bit rusty) and some Spanish.

DVS Storm

Jul 13, 2009
I'm from Finland so I speak Finnish and Swedish(not fluently) and also English as you might gather from this post.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
Danish, english and a little spanish.

In Denmark, apart from the elderly, I would consider anyone who grew up normally and didn't speak english, to be a tool.

duktapeman90

Fhqwhgads
Aug 16, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
duktapeman90 said:
Well lets see, I know Java, C++, C#... oh you mean spoken languages. Then no, just English.
haha i wasn't even thinking about this, but it is true technically, and me and my friends sometimes do nerd speak in java..so why not? it's a language, it has "grammar" technically.
//Very much true

if(java.isALanguage() && syntax.equals(grammar)){
you.geekPoints++;
}

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
In a globalized world it's a very big necessity to know several languages English, Spanish and French (as i do) but with the recent emerging/exploding economies, languages like Chinese, Portuguese, Russian among others are a new opportunity...

Adecristo

May 20, 2010
Polish, as I'm from Poland, of course.
Then there's English, which I'm quite fluent at.
And finally, German. Not quite good, but still communicative.
I'm planning on learning Japanese, as I'd like to know some non-european language, plus I like Japanese culture altogether.

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
Wierdguy said:
JLML said:
Wierdguy said:
JLML said:
and I even understand Skånska! Shut up, IT ISN'T SWEDISH! IT'S AN ABOMINATION AND NOT WORTHY OF BEING CALLED A SWEDISH DIALECT!!! xD
Vi Skåningar är en stolt minoritet!

Om du ursäktar - men jag måste ta den här rullebören med spättekaka till ladan...
Ni é fan ingen minoritet! Vi ÄKTA göteborgare é det! Fan, min lärare dissade sönder er när vi snackade om svensk språkhistoria. "Det finns inget jävla 'aue' (eller hur fan man nu ska härma ert uttal på 'å' ^^) i det svenska språket!"
Pfft - visar bara va du vet, det är mer 'äou' än 'aue'! Dessutom - man kan inte värdera en stad som en minoritet! För att inte tala om att 'Götebörjare' har en bredare dialekt än Skåningar. =p
Fast ÄKTA göteborgare är (tråkigt nog) en extrem minoritet I GÖTEBORG. I sin egna jävla stad. Vi é fan utrotningshotade! Och jag VILL inte veta hur skånska uttal är... Som en stolt göteborgare måste jag hata er. Och stockholmare. Faktiskt mest stockholmare. De har ett ÄNNU värre uttal. ^^