Poll: Do you know more than one language?

t3h br0th3r

May 7, 2009
I've studied Spainish on and off for 6 1/2 years in school but my most used phrase is still 'repeta mas lentamente por favor' (please repeate slower).

I've never needed to use it so i never got more than was needed to pass the tests. I also found out that college is a terrible place to try and master a tongue if your not immersed. the classes i was in moved too fast for me to do anything but treat the beautiful language like a code i had to memorize.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Croatian (my mother tongue) and English fluently, as well as a bit of German. I used to know some passable Latin, but that was a decade ago.

TheMetalGuy

Jun 23, 2010
Well then.
I speak English and Danish fluently, also a little German, but I don't speak it very often.

Jackstick

May 25, 2011
The poll should ask if people are *fluent* in more than one language. Someone might have taken two years of French in high school and count that as speaking another language.

Pyrosomniac

Mar 17, 2011
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
You know what? Computers have a language too, so programming language counts because I vaguely heard that knowing allot of programming is the equivalent of knowing an actual human language.
Grand then!

I can speak English (naturally), French, and Irish (yep, I'm Irish).

Also, I know how to program in Scratch. Sure that means fuck all, but damn it if I can fit another language in here all the better!

hannes2

Dec 10, 2010
I´m from Germany and I speak German (duh) and English (also duh). Also, I was required to take five years of French (or Latin, alternatively), but I was pretty bad at it. I understand some and I might have enough of a vocabulary left for some very basic communication, but my grammar sucks.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Dutch (mother language)
English (near perfect)
French (reasonable)
German (it's very similar to dutch)
Also snippets of japanese, latin etc. but let's be honest, who doesn't?

And I didn't even major in languages. Aah the joys of living in a country that is barely large enough to show on a world map, yet somehow sports 3 languages.
Unless when you are still learning them in school. Than it SU*KS.

I lost count of how many times some douche in an online game thought he was smart insulting me in his own language only to have me zing him IN HIS OWN LANGUAGE.

Also, parenting pro tip: English cartoons with subtitles. Dutch is not exactly a world language so most television companies don't bother dubbing English shows but just add subtitles instead. The same goes for most games.
Through the combination of hearing the English and reading the subtitles most kids here are already pretty decent at English before they even get English classes in school. Seriously, English teacher is like the easiest job ever here.
It works for any language as long as it's a show/game the kid actually wants to see/play, that way they won't get sick of it even though they are learning as if they were studying. If that's not real life hax I don't know what is.
It works best for kids but it can be done at any age. A few years ago I bought a strategy game in Germany (it was way cheaper than back home) and after playing it for a few months my German improved dramatically. And I'm not even very good at languages.

KittywifaMohawk

Aug 17, 2008
English and a little bit of Japanese. I took three years in high school.
Once I start college I plan on majoring in another language, just haven't decided yet.

Flac00

May 19, 2010
English and Spanish. Now all i have to do is learn how to speak cantonese (or mandarine) and hindi, and i could have a conversation with literally anyone on earth.

Andrecova

Sep 24, 2009
Fluent in English and Portuguese. Portuguese's my mother tongue, and I'd say I speak English just as well.

Other than that, I know some basic Japanese and German, the latter of which I'm working on currently. And I also know a bit of French, which I had 3 years of in school, but I wasn't all that interested back then and most of it has been forgotten. Furthermore, I know a bit of Spanish, which comes easy for me because, on the overall, it's close to Portuguese.

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
DanielBrown said:
English, Swedish and some(very little) Spanish.
Being a Swede I can also understand Norweigan pretty flawlessly. Depends on which of their two languages they speak!
But no Danish eh?
I see, I get the picture :-(

Also, Danish, English, German and a bit of French

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I speak English and a little French. It will be handy in the future as I don't want to stay in England for the rest of my life, I am looking at possibly making a life in Canada, so French is a definite plus for me, especially if I end up in Montreal.