Poll: Do you like germany?

Hanzo Hattori

Aug 4, 2009
I'm from Austria, it's pretty much the same thing apart from the fact that over here we aren't as biased as our neighbor. Lots of Austrians don't come along with Germans, personally I quite like them, I can't see why there's such a rivalry anyways.

Oh, by the way, Hitler was Austrian. Most of you will know that, I just wanted to point that out.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Lilitu said:
Creator002 said:
Deutschland, Deutschland! Mein Lieblingsland! Niemand kann Deutschland lieben mehr als ich!
The last sentence should be "Niemand kann Deutschland mehr lieben als ich!"
That's all. You are doing great :)
Danke schön. Wenn Leute wie du mir helfen, kann ich mein Deutsch verbessern. ;)

Smokej

Nov 22, 2010
the baron approves this country

apart from some common problems you have in every first world country, this country has everything you can wish for (a leading culture in europe, cutting edge technology and engineering, strong economy, high standard of living...)

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
I'm under the impression that Germany is magical.

In the past 100 years they've been brutalised on the losing side of one of the most depressing wars in history which ended in mass starvations due to naval blockades.

They were economically annihilated by the Treaty of Versailles.

They had hyper inflation under the Weimar. Leading to poverty all round.

They were on the losing side of the bloodiest war in human history.

Said war split the country in two with the East side in the horrible USSR.

All that and they are still more economically powerful than the majority of 1st world Europe.

As well as that they:

Produced the Angles, Saxons and Jutes who formed the English.
Are a world leader in engineering, science, arts etc.
Gave the Romans their most brutal defeat.
And they invented the car.

KezzieZ

Sep 20, 2010
I spent a week there (and Austria) on vacation once and I enjoyed it. Most everyone was very friendly (one storekeeper was a bit snippy with my younger bro, but that was the only thing close to drama that happened with locals).

I spent my time in southern Germany (Bavaria) though and they tend to have that happy Germans stereotype as far as I've heard.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
Sonicron said:
holy_secret said:
I mog de Saupreißen net.
I laughed so hard at this, I almost fell out of my chair.
How is it that a Swede even knows that exact expression, and in dialect no less? xD
Funny story. I made friends from der Oberpfalz, and learned to speak German from them. I just listened and picked it up from them.
I ended up learning Oberpfälzisch better than German, and feel more comfortable speaking in a way that too.
Believe me it's a pain in the ass for a non-native to switch between the dialects. It's so damn confusing. It's like speaking in Italian for one sec and then having to talk in Spanish.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
Fetzenfisch said:
holy_secret said:
I mog de Saupreißen net.
De Saupreiß mag di a ned, hoast mi?

Crazy Mountainfolk.At least they have to deal with the annoying tourists and we can live our lifes undisturbed:p
Joa fralle. Des dade a net :)

I think that dude kukulski should visit Germany as it is today before deciding how it is like over here.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
holy_secret said:
Sonicron said:
holy_secret said:
I mog de Saupreißen net.
How is it that a Swede even knows that exact expression, and in dialect no less? xD
Funny story. I made friends from der Oberpfalz, and learned to speak German from them. I just listened and picked it up from them.
I ended up learning Oberpfälzisch better than German, and feel more comfortable speaking in a way that too.
Believe me it's a pain in the ass for a non-native to switch between the dialects. It's so damn confusing. It's like speaking in Italian for one sec and then having to talk in Spanish.
Oh, believe me, I know. I live about an hour from the border to Denmark, and when I visit my family down in Southern Germany there's a chance you'll meet people who speak a dialect that's basically its own language. Heck, I was born in Bavaria, and sometimes I can't understand some people when I'm in Munich.
Sounds like you learned that dialect via immersion therapy; rather impressive, I must say. Reminds me of that cool scene from "The 13th Warrior".

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
Sonicron said:
holy_secret said:
Sonicron said:
holy_secret said:
I mog de Saupreißen net.
Oh, believe me, I know. I live about an hour from the border to Denmark, and when I visit my family down in Southern Germany there's a chance you'll meet people who speak a dialect that's basically its own language. Heck, I was born in Bavaria, and sometimes I can't understand some people when I'm in Munich.
Sounds like you learned that dialect via immersion therapy; rather impressive, I must say. Reminds me of that cool scene from "The 13th Warrior".
What is immersion therapy? Worry not, for I shall wikipedia it!
Yeah but virtually everybody can speak standard German...right? I thought it was rude to speak different dialects to each other.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
holy_secret said:
What is immersion therapy? Worry not, for I shall wikipedia it!
Yeah but virtually everybody can speak standard German...right? I thought it was rude to speak different dialects to each other.
Actually, millions of people across Germany are difficult to understand (and, indeed, have problems understanding each other), because even if they don't happen to speak in a particular dialect (something that's very hard to switch off because you likely grew up with it), they still usually have some kind of accent. Bavarian or Hessian, for example, are dialects with a partially unique vocabulary, but then there are those lovely folks from Saxony, who do speak German, but everyone has a hard time understanding them nonetheless because of their heavy accent.
Bottom line, while just about everyone is proficient in writing regular German (Hochdeutsch, as it is called), speaking it is a whole other issue; most folks don't see someone speaking in dialect as rude because some people really can't help it. I, for one, was lucky enough to have been raised by parents who put great value on Hochdeutsch despite our dialect-heavy location. ^^

-EDIT-
Oh yes, immersion therapy. It basically means that instead of learning a language as you would in a school setting, you gradually acquire it by surrounding yourself with people who speak it, texts in that particular language, movies, TV etc. It's a variation of the process exhibited by infants when they first start uttering words and sentences.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
we have great beer, and audi, and, as many democracies, the people don't get to say shit about anything, so hell yeah! ^^
but as it has been stated before, WW2 at school, again and again and again and again and... you get the picture... at some point it just gets boring. or a nuisance. or both.

our ancestors were dickheads, and because of that we cannot say anything against anyone, because that instantly makes us nazis, ok, we got it the first time! geez...

i guess it ain't too bad, all in all. yet xD
shit is about to get real!

Arctic Fox

Cool Customer
Apr 14, 2009
Germans are very smart and they have a really interesting language. They also have good food. So yes to Germans.

Lilitu

Feb 22, 2011
Kitteh said:
Well yeah of course wien ist im österreich i always sorta include austria as germany since its the same people ethnically. the major difference, historically, is austria remaining catholic while germany went protestant.
Yeah, I always mix up USA and Canda. They are both in North America and they both speak English. Canadians sometimes even speak Frensh but well...
;)

I don't think people from Austria would like to be considered as Germans. To some extent there seems to be a little rivalry. And because of their accent Austrians speak a bit different than Germans. They even have their own words for some things that are unknown in Germany.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
I once knew a German, he was kinda cool. Also, their economy is pretty much keeping Europe afloat so I feel I can't dis them too much.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
They're past is behind them and they're moving into the future. Doing a damn nice job of it to. Now they just need to understand comedy better and have afew of their own get out there.

Aerodyamic

Aug 14, 2009
I work with a bunch, and they seem largely unamused by the various jokes I tell. However, Rammstein makes up for that.

A German fellow walks into the library, and in a somehow rough english accent asks for some books on war. The librarian look over her glasses and sniffs "Fuck off, mate; you lost the first two."