Poll: Do you object to being called a "gamer"?

XHolySmokesX

Sep 18, 2010
To me Gamer is a relatively presitigeous title.

Games in general inspire a sense of challenge and the inability to reach a perfection means you can always be improving your skill. This reflects more to sports like football(or soccer) or cricket, but it can also be applied to games you play as a kid such as hide and seek.

The title of gamer inspires this drive to be better, as well as placing you at the front of the gaming community and industry. Gamers are the driving force behind what gives the gaming industry such fantastic possibility, and it's becasue of this that i believe we should be proud to be called gamers!

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
I game, thus I'm a gamer. I don't see the problem. Being called a gamer doesn't necessarily mean that I have no other interests.

Tib088

Nov 28, 2009
I don't like it. As I play maybe a few hours of games a week I get called a gamer? I spend most of my time with friends, listening to music and working. Gaming is just a hobby, rather than a lifestyle. I just don't like how new people I meet always jump to the conclusion that I spend most of my time indoors playing games. I see it as a label, and one that is often commonly placed on the wrong people. Sure I may spend the odd week doing nothing but play games, but thats few and far between. We all over induludge in our hobbies from time to time.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I feel gaming is greatest medium for telling a story, so no, of course not. I do feel like it's insulting to other gamers though, as I'm so terrible at games.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Wieke said:
I call myself a gamer, so it would be a bit hypocritical to object to others calling me that.
Yup me to, its just the standard word now for a computer game enthusiast, nothing really to object to.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
I don't mind being called a gamer, but what does irritate me is people who abuse the term. For example the "I'm a real gamer I only play x or y herp derp" crowd. Or the "Casuals/CoD players/fans of a game I don't like aren't really gamers!"

Perfect example in this very thread

Mike Laserbeam said:
No, feel free to call me a gamer, because I am one.
What I do object to is other people being called gamers when they haven't earned that title. See: CoD players.
If I could be a gamer without being lumped in with the above examples I'd have no problem with the term. If I had it my way anyone that says the words "real gamer" without being sarcastic would have nails hammered into their respective genitalia.

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
Mike Laserbeam said:
No, feel free to call me a gamer, because I am one.
What I do object to is other people being called gamers when they haven't earned that title. See: CoD players.
Oh snap! I agree completely I do enjoy playing CoD series, but it's just one of many games that I play, more for the social experience and less about gaming when it comes to CoD at least for me, but yeah the CoD community is filled with troglodytes and cretins...

Violator[xL]

Nov 14, 2007
Not at all. Too bad all these casual mainstream people are thinking they have the right to call themselves gamers too.

Go back to Call of Duty!
/jk

EDIT: lol@posts above, feul the feud!

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
I don't really care about being referred to as a gamer. It doesn't happen much but if it did, I wouldn't mind. I'm a gaming fan and I'm proud of it. Simple as.

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
I don't see why you should be so upset. Its not a singular title, its an addition to your collective personality. I like movies, music and various TV shows, but I can proudly say I'm a gamer, because I am that too.

The Elcor Batman

Jun 9, 2011
No because i've only ever been called a gamer by people who dont know me, so they dont have any factual basis for their statement.

Arduras

Jul 14, 2009
I'm half and half about it.

If you get labeled: "gamer" it tends to be the only thing people think about you and its all you do.
Which is NOT the case, I'm military, volunteer rescuer, casual drunk, fitness trainer, boatswain and also, a gamer.

Its just something I do, not what or who I am

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Personally, I do not object to being called a gamer (Not that I have ever been called a gamer by anyone I personally know, whether they play games or not), but I do understand where the OP is coming from.

I would like to bring us back to the issue of whether video games need an alternative name, like comics got "graphic novels", when that was more applicable than simply comics (A word which brings to mind simplistic brightly coloured cartoons, just as the word "games" brings out the image of children's games).

Interactive Experience seems a bit long-winded and technical, but thematically it's the kind of word/phrase I think would suit our hobby best.

TheModWolf

Nov 19, 2009
If someone calls me a gamer I wouldn't argue with them, because I clearly am, but I don't identify myself as a gamer for the reason most people have said here - I watch more TV than I play games, I play and watch more footy than I play games and I watch more films than I've played games. God knows I've listened to music for more hours than I've ever played all my games combined. So if I'm a gamer I'm also a TVer, Footy-er, Movie-er and Music-er, and that just sounds ridiculous. EIther way I voted no.