Poll: Do you own a gun? If so, why?

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
ranc0re said:
Shapsters said:
I live in Canada, we don't have this odd obsession with "protecting" ourselves with guns. I do not know anyone with a gun, the only people that have guns in Canada are gangsters and cops.
I think you're forgetting about the 5.6% of the Canadian population who own guns for hunting and sport :p

A pretty big chunk of the population own firearms, especially once you start going north into Moose Country.
Well what percentage of Americans have guns? And I wouldn't doubt that up in the boonies there are plenty of guns. Once you get anywhere near a moderately sized town, you will not know anyone with a gun.

ranc0re

Mar 27, 2009
Shapsters said:
ranc0re said:
Shapsters said:
I live in Canada, we don't have this odd obsession with "protecting" ourselves with guns. I do not know anyone with a gun, the only people that have guns in Canada are gangsters and cops.
I think you're forgetting about the 5.6% of the Canadian population who own guns for hunting and sport :p

A pretty big chunk of the population own firearms, especially once you start going north into Moose Country.
Well what percentage of Americans have guns? And I wouldn't doubt that up in the boonies there are plenty of guns. Once you get anywhere near a moderately sized town, you will not know anyone with a gun.
No idea about Americans, but about 1 in 5 Canadian households own guns. And what do you mean by moderately sized towns? 20 000? Because around where I grew up, everyone knew someone who hunted. I'm not too sure about Toronto, or super-southern Ontario, but go to Sudbury sometime. It's about 175 000 people. Last weekend when I was there, there were 3 freshly killed deer downtown.

If by "moderately sized town" you mean GTA (greater Toronto area) sizes, then no, you're not going to see many gun owners.

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Recreation and nothing else. I've gone shooting, and I'm fairly good at it, but there's no upside in use as a defensive tool. At best, it would allow me to shoot someone. At worst, it would mean exchanging gunfire and putting others at risk (and being more likely to be shot myself). Hand-to-hand combat against a gun-wielding opponent in most cases of self-defense is actually preferable. Snap the trigger finger and chances are no one (including neighbors, innocent civilians, ect) is getting shot.

Of course, part of my reluctance is that my girlfriend lives directly above my apartment, so a firefight would put her at risk.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
ranc0re said:
Shapsters said:
ranc0re said:
Shapsters said:

No idea about Americans, but about 1 in 5 Canadian households own guns. And what do you mean by moderately sized towns? 20 000? Because around where I grew up, everyone knew someone who hunted. I'm not too sure about Toronto, or super-southern Ontario, but go to Sudbury sometime. It's about 175 000 people. Last weekend when I was there, there were 3 freshly killed deer downtown.

If by "moderately sized town" you mean GTA (greater Toronto area) sizes, then no, you're not going to see many gun owners.
Well, how many Canadians have guns for "protection"? Also, can I see this article you read where it says 1 in 5 Canadian households have guns? Because I don't believe that.

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Darkside360 said:
cyber_andyy said:
PatientGrasshopper said:
Do you think the Government is not corrupt now? Also, yes the military does have superior firepower but that has not stopped revolutions before.
They didn't have airstrikes, and helicopters. I mean, freaking AIRSTRIKES. That would stop my revolution.

"YARGH!"
"Call an airstrike!"
"Well isn't that a nice daisy."
I'll say it again, the military will not defend a government attacking the constitution. If they did they would be breaking the oath they took to defend it.
Precisely. If there were ever a true constitutional crisis, and the government was in the wrong, every single soldier in our military would have a responsibility under oath to refuse orders contrary to the constitution. To answer the earlier question: no, I don't believe the government is corrupt, and I believe you're forgetting the Civil War (which was a rebellion, if you'll recall) and which the Union won in no small part due to superior technology.

ranc0re

Mar 27, 2009
Shapsters said:
ranc0re said:
Shapsters said:
ranc0re said:
Shapsters said:

Well, how many Canadians have guns for "protection"? Also, can I see this article you read where it says 1 in 5 Canadian households have guns? Because I don't believe that.
You're right about us not using them for protection. It'd be stupid to do that. You're more likely to be killed if you're using a firearm to protect yourself.

And the link to the 1 in 5 is here: http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/rs/rep-rap/1998/wd98_4-dt98_4/p2.html

Look under section 2.3 (International Comparisons of Firearm Ownership).

Edit: Quote for ease of finding it, "Canada reported that approximately 22 percent of all households owned at least one firearm."

Aegwadar

Apr 2, 2009
Proud gun owner... It's never smart to be unprepared... I know its generally safe to live day to day in the US of A... But, I like guns for recreation and I feel a little bit safer. (Not to mention, four years in the army helps your aim alot. Ha)

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
ranc0re said:
Shapsters said:
ranc0re said:
Shapsters said:
ranc0re said:
Shapsters said:

You're right about us not using them for protection. It'd be stupid to do that. You're more likely to be killed if you're using a firearm to protect yourself.

And the link to the 1 in 5 is here: http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/pi/rs/rep-rap/1998/wd98_4-dt98_4/p2.html

Look under section 2.3 (International Comparisons of Firearm Ownership).

Edit: Quote for ease of finding it, "Canada reported that approximately 22 percent of all households owned at least one firearm."
Well, always come prepared I suppose :p

I can actually believe that number when it comes to people hunting, that makes sense because a lot of people like it. I wonder however how many Canadians feel they need a gun for protection.

Good conversing with you, I am off to bed!

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
ranc0re said:
No, I do not hunt simply to mount a nice buck's head on my wall, that's stupid and wasteful.
So is hunting when theres plenty of food avalible. I ve seen how they are brought up.Didn't affect me one tinney bit. It still tastes Oh so good
Darkside360 said:
I'll say it again, the military will not defend a government attacking the constitution. If they did they would be breaking the oath they took to defend it.
I was talking about revolutions in modern countries today in general. Also this whole "defend a piece of old paper to the death!" thing is stupid. I can understand defend the people of your home nation, but a couple hundred year bit of parchment? nah. May as well burn it and rewrite the damn thing so it can't be misread by anyone.

For instance your "right" to have a gun, instead of what it was before, how about changing it to something simple, like:
"Sure you can have guns for whatever you want them for as long as you don't shoot anybody with them."

Also, Ill pose this to you, Is it anyones "right" to have a weapon designed to kill people in an instant?

If its all right for the americans, it must be for every one else, right? Am I allowed to have something which can snuff your life out, your familys life out, before you can even get to your gun? A world where, if someone pisses you off lets just shoot them, not as messy as stabbing, besides its thier "right" to do so?

Also, can you really say ALL the soilders would die over the constitution? Cos if they would, I am SO gonna burn that damn thing. Maybe it would release what ever brain wash is happening, or if it doesn't, it would still be funny to watch your faces as it burnt away.

I know that somebody is gonna report me, but either way, I'm allowed to express my opinion, and if a mod does something about that then...well...just goes to show

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
Darkside360 said:
rainman2203 said:
Shooting someone who walks into your house or yard is illegal, even in Texas).
Sorry but no its NOT illegal. Self defense. If they are running away off your property and you shoot them yes you can get in trouble. You CAN use deadly force if someone breaks into your house. By doing that they are already threatening you.
Acually, unless they are literally about to shoot you or hit you or your family with something, it IS illegal to shoot them. I can stand in your yard or walk into your living room and as long as I make no hostile actions, killing me would be murder. I would be trespassing of course, but it is up to law enforcement to remove me, not you. It's a fucked up law, I will admit, but that's how it is.

sanomaton

Oct 25, 2008
I don't own a gun but both my parents own one and they both use them (only) for hunting. Well, we do have an air fun but that's mainly used for practising so I use that one too. I don't really see any other point in keeping guns except hutning (if you exclude police officers).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and it is legal in here to own a gun with the permissions and all that.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Mookie_Magnus said:
I'll be 18 in a few months and If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get a concealed weapons liscense and buy a handgun. All I have to do is prove that I can use a gun without causing collatteral damage, and apply and pay money. Then I'm officially armed.
If you live in any state in the U.S., you have to be 21 to do that (23 in some states). Sorry... You've still got a few years yet.

There's more to it than just preventing collateral damage. I just took my state's test the other day, and it is more about knowing when and when to not use deadly force. Sometimes it's better to be a good witness than a hero, and good marksmanship if the time ever comes is critical. You can't just be decent with a handgun, you muct be at the top of your game all the time because if you should ever need to draw your weapon, chances are you will not be calm.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I own several guns; rifles, shotguns, and handguns. I use them mainly for hunting, target shooting, and for personal defense if the need should arise.

I mainly collect WWII relics for fun though... I want an M1 Garand SOOOOO badly! Too bad the prices are soaring. :(

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
rainman2203 said:
Darkside360 said:
rainman2203 said:
Shooting someone who walks into your house or yard is illegal, even in Texas).
Sorry but no its NOT illegal. Self defense. If they are running away off your property and you shoot them yes you can get in trouble. You CAN use deadly force if someone breaks into your house. By doing that they are already threatening you.
Acually, unless they are literally about to shoot you or hit you or your family with something, it IS illegal to shoot them. I can stand in your yard or walk into your living room and as long as I make no hostile actions, killing me would be murder. I would be trespassing of course, but it is up to law enforcement to remove me, not you. It's a fucked up law, I will admit, but that's how it is.
Most states have the castle doctrine in law
Castle Doctrine. The term comes from the landmark 1985 Colorado statute that protects people from any criminal charge or civil suit if they use force ? including deadly force ? against an invader of the home.[2]
This legal doctrine is often linked to the rights of homeowners to bear arms, as defined in the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller.

So if your in my house it can be assumed your up to no good and a threat and i'm well within my rights to kill you.

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
tsb247 said:
Mookie_Magnus said:
I'll be 18 in a few months and If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get a concealed weapons liscense and buy a handgun. All I have to do is prove that I can use a gun without causing collatteral damage, and apply and pay money. Then I'm officially armed.
If you live in any state in the U.S., you have to be 21 to do that. Sorry...
I'm pretty sure that here in Texas it's 18. I'll double-check though.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Mookie_Magnus said:
tsb247 said:
Mookie_Magnus said:
If you live in any state in the U.S., you have to be 21 to do that. Sorry...
I'm pretty sure that here in Texas it's 18. I'll double-check though.
I'm not 100% sure how Texas does things, but 18 would still be a surprise. When you take the concealed weapons class, make sure you pay close attention. There's a LOT of important legal information that you need to know inside and out before you ever consider carrying a weapon around with you, and there are pages and pages of it.

Take this for example:

A man is beating another man with a crowbar on the street. You see this and decide the man being beaten is in danger of being killed. You draw your weapon and shout at the man with the crowbar, "Drop the crowbar and get down on the ground!" The man drops the crowbar and stays standing with his arms crossed; staring at you. What do you do?

Shaenightbird

Apr 7, 2008
I don't like em.

My dad used to collect guns. I can see why he did, there's a certain beauty in their construction, from a mechanical perspective. He taught me how to handle firearms, and I'm a pretty good shot, I just don't really like guns much.

I have a sword collection instead.