Poll: Do you own a gun? If so, why?

PatientGrasshopper

Nov 2, 2008
PurpleRain said:
Darkside360 said:
PurpleRain said:
Darkside360 said:
You do know the military swears and oath to defend the constitution right? Banning guns is attack that constitution therfore the military would not support the government.
And this is how far brain-washing and an ancient piece of paper written by by a bunch of dead guys can go.
Yeah my bad for defending the values my country was founded on.
Mhmm. Blindly defending the values of others is a horrible concept. It causes this sort of stuff to happen. Your country was also founded on slave trade, but yet today you guys are opposed to it. *Sticks thumbs up* Props to you.
I guess I just don't understand patriotism. The ability to blindly die for your country reaches far beyond the betterment of the man standing next to you. This cause wars and death. Look at the Cold War. What did that achieve? You waved your manhood around to as Russia did likewise. And now you've screwed up a few nations, caused a lot of casualties and have a massive stockpile of nuclear arms that are going to sit around a do nothing.

I would be right to dump this country for many things. I love this place. It's such a nice, friendly country with no civil wars and not a lot of intolerence. But I would never die for it.

I don't know. You're mindset is so far gone, it would be hard to show you how good things would be if we could just get over this paranoia and 'values'. I think the consitution should belong in a museum for people to gawk at, not found an entire country. Take the thing to heart and not wrap it up in your mind.
The Constitution has served us well all these years. It is unfortunate that politicians these days don't seem to adhere to it. All the stuff you describe has nothing to do with the Constitution, most of the recent wars were unconstitutionla anyway because Congress never approved them. Basically the values of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness are basic human rights, as is property.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
PurpleRain said:
Darkside360 said:
PurpleRain said:
Darkside360 said:
You do know the military swears and oath to defend the constitution right? Banning guns is attack that constitution therfore the military would not support the government.
And this is how far brain-washing and an ancient piece of paper written by by a bunch of dead guys can go.
Mhmm. Blindly defending the values of others is a horrible concept. It causes this sort of stuff to happen. Your country was also founded on slave trade, but yet today you guys are opposed to it. *Sticks thumbs up* Props to you.
I guess I just don't understand patriotism. The ability to blindly die for your country reaches far beyond the betterment of the man standing next to you. This cause wars and death. Look at the Cold War. What did that achieve? You waved your manhood around to as Russia did likewise. And now you've screwed up a few nations, caused a lot of casualties and have a massive stockpile of nuclear arms that are going to sit around a do nothing.

I would be right to dump this country for many things. I love this place. It's such a nice, friendly country with no civil wars and not a lot of intolerence. But I would never die for it.

I don't know. You're mindset is so far gone, it would be hard to show you how good things would be if we could just get over this paranoia and 'values'. I think the consitution should belong in a museum for people to gawk at, not found an entire country. Take the thing to heart and not wrap it up in your mind.
Really the constitution is what protects freedoms and limits governments. You seem to have this mindset that we "blindly" defend something. No it's something we believe it, we believe in what this nation was founded on. The freedom of individuals to live their lives as they see fit, the right to private property, the right to privacy, the right to pursue happiness (wealth) we love our country our people our "values". It isn't blind patriotism.

And I don't know what book you read but I don't think we where "founded" on the slave trade there. Yes we had it as did most countries back then, even then it was mainly the south.(also nothing about it in the constitution...)

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
sneakypenguin said:
Really the constitution is what protects freedoms and limits governments. You seem to have this mindset that we "blindly" defend something. No it's something we believe it, we believe in what this nation was founded on. The freedom of individuals to live their lives as they see fit, the right to private property, the right to privacy, the right to pursue happiness (wealth) we love our country our people our "values". It isn't blind patriotism.

And I don't know what book you read but I don't think we where "founded" on the slave trade there. Yes we had it as did most countries back then, even then it was mainly the south.(also nothing about it in the constitution...)
PatientGrasshopper said:
The Constitution has served us well all these years. It is unfortunate that politicians these days don't seem to adhere to it. All the stuff you describe has nothing to do with the Constitution, most of the recent wars were unconstitutionla anyway because Congress never approved them. Basically the values of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness are basic human rights, as is property.
Oh yeah, I'm not dishing out on that. I wouldn't argue that it has done great things, I'm merely attacking ideals and mindsets. Change is always needed. They can redo the constitution to fit better into todays society. There should be nothing sacred of it.

Darkside360 said:
And please know our soldiers swear an oath to defend our constituiton. Not allowing Americans to own a gun is against our rights and therfore the military will not defend a government attacking the constituiton.
Aka: Brainwashing. Yay!

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
cyber_andyy said:
Darkside360 said:
PurpleRain said:
Darkside360 said:
I'd like to point out to you that you actually have no right to a gun. When written, the document you claim gives you this right, in fact means that in case of a corrupt goverment you are allowed to bear arms and over throw it.

Then you must consider the social and historical context of when the document was written. Really that little section has no power today because for one of many reasons, as pointed out earlier, the military would "whoop-ass" on your tiny little civilian weapons.
The Supreme Court, in a landmark decision, in District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008) ruled that "[t]he Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home" and "that the District?s ban on handgun possession in the home violates the Second Amendment, as does its prohibition against rendering any lawful firearm in the home operable for the purpose of immediate self-defense."

SCOTUS ruled it an individual right. Also in the case of a corrupt government it's IIRC usually police action that is used to control people. Soldiers don't kill their own people too well. and that would be the fastest way for an authoritarian/ totalitarian govn't to lose sovereignty/legitimacy over people. And vs police i'd say the millions of americans with AR15s and AKs and barrets could prove quite the deterrent.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
It is technically legal for me to own several guns, but it is hard to do so.

In my country you can buy a shotgun and .22 rifle for hunting at age 16, provided you have taken and passed the hunters test (a 5day course with a test at the end, and a day of practice shooting), as hunting has long traditions. You also need to send an aplication to the local police.

heavier calibre rifles you have to be 18 and with the same conditions as above.

With handguns you need to have been a regular member of a shooting club for a minimum of 2years, and then you need to send an application to the local police.

Shotguns and hunting rifles are actually quite common to own, but other types of weapons are very rare.

I'd love to get my hands on a few handguns and a shotgun. I'm a weapon buff, as they say.
Damn... I think I might just need to move the the States!

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
I have a little .22 pea shooter right now. It's semiautomatic and fun as hell to shoot. I used to have a Smith and Wesson .357 Revolver, but I sold it to my uncle. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made.

One day I will own an M1 Garand. I love that freaking gun.

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
sneakypenguin said:

What gave you the money to become what you are? The plantations worked by slaves. With out them, you'd be as rich as Africa. You NEEDED those slaves, overwise you would still be a few little towns, scattered around the place.

Darkside360 said:
A well regulated milita, being neccessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -2nd Amendment
Yay you proved my point! Going back to the social and historical context, these were days before a proper police force, and therefore this little do-hicky here tells you that you can keep and bear arms as part of this milita. Now then,you have a police force in America, therefore you no longer need to bear arms to form a milita, do you see?

You probally won't as I can guess from your avatar you're one of these backwards people who believe in taking away a womans right to abortion, and that black people are still sub human.
But it was worth a try eh?

How ever messed up a country this is, I would rather live here than a place where a mcdonalds worker is shot every week, and where people like John McCain are actually allowed to run for leadership.

**A note to any mods, feel free to lock this thread now, as it's so far off the track now that it may as well be in orbit.**

Until, that happens, feel free to continue.

PatientGrasshopper

Nov 2, 2008
PurpleRain said:
sneakypenguin said:

PatientGrasshopper said:
Oh yeah, I'm not dishing out on that. I wouldn't argue that it has done great things, I'm merely attacking ideals and mindsets. Change is always needed. They can redo the constitution to fit better into todays society. There should be nothing sacred of it.

Darkside360 said:
And please know our soldiers swear an oath to defend our constituiton. Not allowing Americans to own a gun is against our rights and therfore the military will not defend a government attacking the constituiton.
Aka: Brainwashing. Yay!
The Constitution can be amended and has been several times, but anytime you bring in more Government regulation and contribute to an expansion of bureaucracy you cause problems.

cyber_andyy said:
Darkside360 said:
PurpleRain said:
Darkside360 said:
I'd like to point out to you that you actually have no right to a gun. When written, the document you claim gives you this right, in fact means that in case of a corrupt goverment you are allowed to bear arms and over throw it.

Then you must consider the social and historical context of when the document was written. Really that little section has no power today because for one of many reasons, as pointed out earlier, the military would "whoop-ass" on your tiny little civilian weapons.
Do you think the Government is not corrupt now? Also, yes the military does have superior firepower but that has not stopped revolutions before.

cyber_andyy

Dec 31, 2008
PatientGrasshopper said:
Do you think the Government is not corrupt now? Also, yes the military does have superior firepower but that has not stopped revolutions before.
They didn't have airstrikes, and helicopters. I mean, freaking AIRSTRIKES. That would stop my revolution.

"YARGH!"
"Call an airstrike!"
"Well isn't that a nice daisy."

demonsaber

Apr 11, 2009
I own a shotgun for home defense/hunting. On occasion I enjoy eating fresh fowl for dinner.

ranc0re

Mar 27, 2009
cyber_andyy said:
ranc0re said:
I own a few guns for hunting and what-not. None of this "It's to protect my family" bullshit. Mine's to get meat for me and my family.
llewgriff said:
I have several guns, I use them for hunting, recreation and protection.
kommando367 said:
Yes, to kill deer, birds, opossums, racoons, you(everyone reading this post, I'm watching you) with.
Gotham Soul said:
I sometimes need to put down my raving fans with force.

Nah, just kidding. I like to go hunting occasionally during the autumn.

I hope you actually eat the meat, other wise your just killing animals for the sake of it, which is barbaric in my opinion.

The idea of it all still seems barbaric in itself,just that you don't eat the meat is more barbaric, along with fishing in my mind, why kill some thing, when you could by a version ment for slaughter?

For instance chickens. The ones that are bred for meat, don't know what true life is like, so I don't mind eating them, as they don't know that this is "cruel"( I use that term loosely) treatment for them.

Where as if you kill a fish in a river, or a rabbit in the forest, or even a dear, that animal was living a "normal" life, until you came along and shot it with out real need to. Which I believe is barbaric.
You're an excellent example of the disconnection between man and nature. We've become so detached from our true nature, we believe it "cruel" and "barbaric" to do things we are naturally programmed to do. No, I do not hunt simply to mount a nice buck's head on my wall, that's stupid and wasteful. I hunt because my family needs to eat. Sure, I could go and buy factory farmed chicken (have you seen those places? Go check one out, and I'm sure you'll never eat store-bought chicken again), or I could go out, and naturally hunt an animal that has been living a "normal" life.

Human's have been hunting for thousands upon thousands of years, and killing an animal that lives in the wild is no less humane than killing an animal bred for the slaughter (perhaps even more so).

Also, your argument for eating chickens "because they don't know that this is 'cruel'" is a weak one. I could apply your logic to any animal, including humans, and justify cruel treatment. If I constantly abused a dog from it's birth, and it did not realise that this treatment was "cruel", it'd be perfectly fine?

And a number of animals are eaten by wild animals. Are wolves and coyotes cruel and barbaric animals? Or should they begin eating only animals that are farmed for their consumption?

I'll take hunted meat over factory-farmed meat any day of the week. I don't even buy most meats now, unless they're raised in a humane and sustainable fashion (ie, NATURALLY).

Fulax

Jul 14, 2008
The British government doesn't allow it's people the right to self-defence, so no I don't own a gun. Fortunately that means we have no gun crime. Oh, wait...

ranc0re

Mar 27, 2009
Shapsters said:
I live in Canada, we don't have this odd obsession with "protecting" ourselves with guns. I do not know anyone with a gun, the only people that have guns in Canada are gangsters and cops.
I think you're forgetting about the 5.6% of the Canadian population who own guns for hunting and sport :p

A pretty big chunk of the population own firearms, especially once you start going north into Moose Country.

PTSpyder

Aug 9, 2008
Shooting is a skill much more difficult then games make it appear. I find shooting practice to be challenging.